Understading lerp & getting css to use more or less threads

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:CSS Servers

Re: Understanding lerp & getting css to use more or less threads

Postby KAL-EL on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Tsenister wrote:
KAL-EL wrote:Im very impressed with the new update i have the latest i7 and im running full graphics and gett in 299fps 90% of the maps, it drops on the normal choke points to about 180-200fps.
as for the lerp settings, ive had 50mb fiber optic installed for past few months and its really stable. I have tried cl_interp 0 cl_interp_ratio 1 & cl_interp all 0. And as gandy says that sets me at 15 lerp, which is white for most of the map but then flickers to yellow at major fire fights. I have defiantly got better reg, than i used to before the update. Ive not played with the lerp settings as yet ie keeping the lerp setting to white at all times. But for me the update have really helped me out game wise and reg wise. So all i need to do is play the game more and get used to recoil again :)

Man. I'd never thought I'd see the day when you we're happy with CSS lol but in any case I do think that this update has benefited people with faster computers/ better connections more than those with shite ones.

lol Tsen, the reg is better for me, my lerp is 15 and has recently started to go yellow most of the time now and slowly the reg has gone a bit strange like some guys i kill are 148/2 or 122/3 which is good, but last few days, im getting 98/4 but im getting killed 128/2. over the weekend ive noticed server 1 is laggy like its playing with 20fps, but im still not 100% certain CS:S is made for 64 player maps?

would be good to try UKCS split over 4-5 servers with 20 a side?
KAL-EL
UKCS Sponsor

Player: KAL-EL
STEAM_0:1:3164594

Re: Understading lerp & getting css to use more or less threads

Postby RubbeR on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Aceo wrote:
RubbeR wrote:
Aceo wrote:I'm still getting awful lag after doing these tweaks, was able to log on and take a video of the problem:
(it got this bad after doing what was said in original post)
http://www.xfire.com/video/2f6011/

check net_graph 3 for choke, looks like it could be a lot of choke.
check your rate, cause ukcs has so many players you want this 50k or higher.

Has rate changed this much with the update? Before it 20-30k was enough for all servers :S.

edit: After upping the rate and using net_graph 3 there is no choke that's causing the issue. However, the bars in net_graph 3 go awfully high. No idea what these mean though.
Edit2: By upping rates to 70-75k I've fixed the stutters and lag...just seems a little high compared to pre-update.

Rate on UKCS needed to be 50k or 60k for me before the update, otherwise I had 20+ choke. Maybe coz I am in NL, not UK, dunno.

higher rates than 67 have no effect on UKCS, its a 66 tickrate server, rates are capped at 66.
With rates at 66, your cl_interp needs to be 0.030 with a cl_interpratio of 1.0

The big net_graph 3 is just annoying, for net_graph 3 without the big chart try this ;
Code: Select all
net_graph "3"
net_graphheight "1150" //screen res height -50
net_graphpos "2"
net_graphshowlatency "0"
net_graphshowinterp "0"
net_graphsolid "0"
net_graphmsecs "1000"
net_graphproportionalfont "1"
net_graphtext "1"
I am RubbeR, You are Glue
RubbeR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ImRubbeRyourGlue
STEAM_0:0:760883

Postby RubbeR on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:50 pm

gandy wrote:
Code: Select all
the indicator will turn orange if the user or server has tuned the ConVars such that the interpolation amount is less than 2 / updaterate.

Set cl_interp to 0 and cl_interp_ratio to 1 and that will auto set up cl_interp to the correct value based on your cl_updaterate

So if you if your updaterate setting is 66 it will give you a value of 0.0151. if the colour you see for lerp in net graph is yellow, orange or red then that is a bad thing and means your hit reg can/could be effected so you need to make sure its white. If it is yellow, orange or red then change cl_interp_ratio to 2 and see how it goes as this will set your interp to 0.03 ( or 30ms for the lerp setting ).

gandy :)

Maybe its just me,

If the cl_updaterate is 66 , then cl_interp = 2 / 66 = 0.030
Why would cl_interp at 0 give you 0.015 and be good on UKCS ? Its a 66 tickrate server ?
For me, lerp at 30 is white most of the time, but I read in this thread some have lerp white at 0.015 ???
:scratch:
I am RubbeR, You are Glue
RubbeR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ImRubbeRyourGlue
STEAM_0:0:760883

Postby GraVen7o on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:40 pm

U dont need a white lerp, a yellow lerp is good for playing.

My experience since last weeks:

White Lerp: no choke n loss, but incorrect Hitboxes. ( >30ms Lerp)

Yellow Lerp: a little bit choke n loss, but good Hitboxes. (15ms Lerp)

:)

GraVen7o
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: MetalღHeart
STEAM_0:1:2223657

Postby EWJ on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 pm

really?...damn thing makes no difference to me...how do i reset it to defaults to try to start again?
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby RAMBO[EUR-ESP] on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:23 am

Just delete the file config.cfg ,it will create a new one when you start the game.
CSS Admin
RAMBO[EUR-ESP]
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Jaimeix ex ®AMBO™ ≤ήČĈ
STEAM_0:0:6944480

Postby gandy on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

that's wrong rambo, if you use steam cloud it will download it from there, restoring all your settings and binds.
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby Cr4z33 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 am

gandy wrote:that's wrong rambo, if you use steam cloud it will download it from there, restoring all your settings and binds.

About that, what if was suffering from horrible lag and decided to delete the counter strike folder so to reinstall everything from scratch?
I should disable Steam Clouds and then? Delete what CFGs?
ImageImage

Cr4z33
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cя∂حﻉﻉ™
STEAM_0:0:4580092

Postby RAMBO[EUR-ESP] on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 am

Hmm yea you are right gandy,disable steam cloud first.

You can delete all CFG folder,infact you can delete the whole cstrike folder too as the game will create it again.
CSS Admin
RAMBO[EUR-ESP]
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Jaimeix ex ®AMBO™ ≤ήČĈ
STEAM_0:0:6944480

Postby KAL-EL on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 am

RAMBO[EUR-ESP] wrote:Hmm yea you are right gandy,disable steam cloud first.

You can delete all CFG folder,infact you can delete the whole cstrike folder too as the game will create it again.

Thats what i did rambo, i just deleted all my CS source folders and deleted it from steam, i dont use steam cloud anyway. And i reinstalled a fresh version of CS source.

these are my settings that i have been using, and my reg is miles better:

rate 100000 (Ive 50mb Fiber Optic)
cl_updaterate 66
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1

That sets my lerp to 15.2 and is yellow most times, it flickers to white sometimes depends on the map. With them settings im getting better reg.
Choke rises to about 20 but this only happens at the start of the round and by the time ive bought my guns its gone, choke at the start of the round is completely normal so dont be to disheartened by it.
i also have 0 loss and like i said 0 choke.

Im also using the mat_queue_mode 2 as i have i7 and seems stable ie no crashes or anything.

Hope this helps anybody, but if you do try these, try to test them over a few days or so and not over 1 map, as different maps have different effects.
KAL-EL
UKCS Sponsor

Player: KAL-EL
STEAM_0:1:3164594

Postby melipone on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 pm

EWJ wrote:really?...damn thing makes no difference to me...how do i reset it to defaults to try to start again?

Right click CSS on steam list, go to properties-> launch options and put -autoconfig in there and lauch the game once. Then you can delete that line. That will make everything back to default except for steam cloud stuff like keyboard settings. If you want a fresh copy of the game just delete or rename the cstrike folder, do -autoconfig and then you should get a new unaltered copy. Not sure if you need to do "verify integrity". Think its automatic when you launch the game again. Then make a basic autoexec.cfg with some tweaks like rates etc. Then just tweak with the ingame options. You can get more fps with a config but its hit and miss if you don't know what the commands do..some configs make the game look terrible, some change mouse settings, bad rates, different sound options etc. Most commands are fine at default except rates, and just tweak other stuff with the in the game options

melipone
Home Member

Player: Melipone
STEAM_0:1:3190111

Postby EWJ on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm

cheers melipone. :+1:
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Cr4z33 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:37 am

melipone wrote:
EWJ wrote:really?...damn thing makes no difference to me...how do i reset it to defaults to try to start again?

Right click CSS on steam list, go to properties-> launch options and put -autoconfig in there and lauch the game once. Then you can delete that line. That will make everything back to default except for steam cloud stuff like keyboard settings. If you want a fresh copy of the game just delete or rename the cstrike folder, do -autoconfig and then you should get a new unaltered copy. Not sure if you need to do "verify integrity". Think its automatic when you launch the game again. Then make a basic autoexec.cfg with some tweaks like rates etc. Then just tweak with the ingame options. You can get more fps with a config but its hit and miss if you don't know what the commands do..some configs make the game look terrible, some change mouse settings, bad rates, different sound options etc. Most commands are fine at default except rates, and just tweak other stuff with the in the game options

Wow that fixed almost all the ping problems I had after the big update!
I am starting thinking then that Steam Clouds might seriously affect the bandwidth/ping of our line.
That might explain why at round start the ping was going so high.
Perhaps all achievements, scores, etc., etc. get synced with Steam servers at that point?
Anyway that -autoconfig made my day, thanks meli! <3
ImageImage

Cr4z33
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cя∂حﻉﻉ™
STEAM_0:0:4580092

Postby evil elmo on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:48 am

um i have a question im not that great when it comes to steam stuff, i went to run css this morning and it came up with the message your files are not synced to steam cloud if you run your game now you risk losing your files and settings.

can i have that explained in english pretty plse with a cherry on top, im a noob but i cant help it :cry:
evil elmo
UKCS Vice President
Executive Admin

Player: evil elmo
STEAM_0:1:8885123

Postby SkinnyMalinkyLongLeg on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:26 pm

evil elmo wrote:um i have a question im not that great when it comes to steam stuff, i went to run css this morning and it came up with the message your files are not synced to steam cloud if you run your game now you risk losing your files and settings.

can i have that explained in english pretty plse with a cherry on top, im a noob but i cant help it :cry:

Considering it's just CSS, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will be referring to personalised settings and customised files. Synchronisation is usually only a problem with games you can save.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
-Douglas Adams
SkinnyMalinkyLongLeg
Recruit Member

Player: Skinny Malinky Long Legs
STEAM_0:1:16661303

Postby Shutty on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Okay.. I've got all my rates configured and have a lerp at 30.3 ms. (2/66)

It seems though that server fps has been completely screwed recently, at round start until people start dying the number of updates I receive from the server drops to 15/s... it only starts coming back up to 66/s when there are about 10-15 people left alive, which is like 1-2 mins into the round. I'm 99.9% postive it never used to be like this before the update (except maybe a bit on parthenon). Does anyone else get this?

I can connect to other large CSS servers (50+ players) and this does not happen, under full load I receive > 50/s except maybe for a few seconds at round start.

Does anyone know if something has changed server end, or how best to combat yellow lerp!

Thanks, Shutts

Shutty
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Shutts☂
STEAM_0:0:5369303

Postby Tiffle on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't think you can do anything shutts to combat the yellow lerp its serverside problem,if thats what you meant.
But yeah its really anoying to be hs'd by a teleporting player or not hit nothing at some one thats in your xhair at the begining of rounds.

If you say it's not happening on other big servers maybe its a plugin or the stats thats causing the low server fps.

Tiffle
Recruit Member

Player: Tiffle
STEAM_0:0:5417229

Postby melipone on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Glad that -autoconfig sorted some problems

Shutty wrote:It seems though that server fps has been completely screwed recently, at round start until people start dying the number of updates I receive from the server drops to 15/s... it only starts coming back up to 66/s when there are about 10-15 people left alive, which is like 1-2 mins into the round. I'm 99.9% postive it never used to be like this before the update (except maybe a bit on parthenon). Does anyone else get this?

I can connect to other large CSS servers (50+ players) and this does not happen, under full load I receive > 50/s except maybe for a few seconds at round start.

Does anyone know if something has changed server end, or how best to combat yellow lerp!

Thanks, Shutts

Yeah I noticed before that the server FPS can go very low sometimes. Speced on Office server earlier and server fps was going down to under 10 (and red) at times. Do net_graph 4 I think and check the bottom left part. Dunno if this version just needs more power than the old one or what, or the new netcode requires more server bandwidth per player? Not sure if its similar on the other servers

Could sv_maxrate 100,000 cause that low server fps? I'd rather have like 35,000 rate if its means higher updates /s from the server and it having stable, high fps. No idea tho if thats the problem or if it was like that before

melipone
Home Member

Player: Melipone
STEAM_0:1:3190111

Postby Victor on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

GraVen7o wrote:Hello All.

After update i delete my old config.
With my new config Css runs fine.
no lag, better performance. (ping 50, fps 80)

MyConfig:

rate 100000
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
cl_crosshairscale 1500
net_graph 1
net_graphpos 1
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_show_achievement_popups 0
cl_disablehtmlmotd 1
cl_disablefreezecame 1
cl_cloud_settings 0

thats all u need...

try r_3dsky 0 for better performance on "old" systems.

My System:
IntelDualCore@3,2Ghz
3GB Ram
Gforce9500/512mb / ScreenResulotion in Css: 1680x1050
Network: 32Down/2up CableGermany

:)

i did the same as you but still lagging and high ping...

any ideas??
Victor
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: viC
STEAM_0:1:16856209

Postby meyenburg on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:55 am

Valve must come with a fix eventually i hope. They have to.
meyenburg
UKCS Sponsor

Player: real1ty
STEAM_0:0:8411193

PreviousNext

Return to UKCS : CSS Server Chat