2. no keep it office only we like it that way
17%
3. dust 2 in the quiet periods
17%

Total votes : 30

Should we change the rotation on #3

Postby evil elmo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:31 am

Hi guys

I have had some interest in maybe shuffling the rotation of the office only server which is currently #3, some players have come forward and suggested we rotate between dust 2 and office. Now obviously we wouldnt just go ahead and change it, as that would be wrong on our part so im asking for input on this one so we can get a feel of what players would like.

Would you prefer to keep it office only 24/7, or are you maybe open to the idea of swapping during the day to dust 2, we know a lot of players enjoy playing dust 2 and it dosent come up that often in the vote system, so maybe combining office and dust 2 would be a good idea.

Please feel free to leave any comments and also to vote and we will take this feedback and use it in the way that keeps all players happy. So get voting and start those comments going.
evil elmo
UKCS Vice President
Executive Admin

Player: evil elmo
STEAM_0:1:8885123

Re: Should we change the rotation on #3

Postby hagz on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 am

now thats a great idea.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Nish on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:51 am

Wasn't this tried already though, or atleast Dust2 24/7? It would leave the server empty.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby evil elmo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:13 pm

To my knowledge we havent tried a dust 2 only server on ukcs, we arent saying it will be dust 2 only, we are suggesting that maybe during the quiet times like in the morning when there arent any players on #3 to have dust 2 running till around midday, then have office as normal from midday until early evening when the majority of players are on, and then in the evening maybe every 10 rounds switch between office and dust 2. Or after 10 rounds in the evening of office put up a vote like we have on the other servers to change the map to dust 2, if 60 % say yes then it will switch if the majority want to keep it on office then obviously the map wouldnt change.

There are a lot of players out there who are looking for dust 2 servers and it would be a good way to bring more people into the ukcs community, but as i said nothing is set in stone at this point, we are looking for players opinions and feedback and then we will go from there.
evil elmo
UKCS Vice President
Executive Admin

Player: evil elmo
STEAM_0:1:8885123

Postby sadist on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:01 pm

I guess when #3 server is empty it makes sense to play another map and see if it brings in more players. But when people are playing office on #3 they may leave when it changes to dust2 if they weren't expecting that. So a specific time for dust (until midday as you said) would be good but not sold on the every 10 rounds idea.
sadist
Home Member

Player: Sadist
STEAM_0:0:3947729

Postby moe_guays on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:40 pm

I think it would be worth testing... Office gets a boring after a while :)
Image Image Image Image
-- UKCS Profile -------- Add me on Steam --------- Follow on Twitter -- Add on Facebook-
:coffee: UKCS CS:S Admin :coffee: UKCS TF2 Admin :coffee:
I'm also in charge of the maps you see on CS:S, If you find a map you feel will suit our UKCS servers then please post a link to the map Here. Alternatively apply to be on the map test team Here.
Happy Gaming :!:
moe_guays
Experienced Member

Player: Moe's Brewery
STEAM_0:1:28237563

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 am

Nish wrote:Wasn't this tried already though, or atleast Dust2 24/7? It would leave the server empty.

I think it was tried with Dust 2 and office rotation and one point in time, but players left on Dust 2.

Rotation of maps on #3 does not work, as player expecting to play office leave on other maps, then don't come back. These players like the idea of ramping up huge scores with it just being a single map. Changing maps would stop this.

Server #2 is available with few players on most of the day.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby hagz on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

fair enough LD I di ask a few people on #3 what they thought and they all seemed positive.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby R0sers on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Don't know if this has changed over the years but, during UK hours (10am-10pm) their was an abundance of office servers with 20+ players on (Not including Bots), Dust and Dust_2 seems to appeal during nightly hours (11 PM - 8AM) <-- (UK Hours from my own experience).

Making #3 into Dust_2 and Office 24/7 is not such a bad idea. I used to run my own CSS server years ago and I had something similar where players voted for the next map, But if the map they had voted for had just been played and/or it was voted for and played X times in a row, then the server would not allow players to choose this map option until at least 2 other maps had been played. This way, it kept the playerbase at a reasonable level and It wasn't the same old repetitive thing over and over. I think i pulled around average fromm 10-40 players daily. And the map rotation really was a good idea.

Over the past few days, I have noticed some Old school 24/7 Office servers Completely empty ([INC]Office24/7) and (Seigns.De Office24/7) are just a few i've noticed that has not seen a single player for at least the past week since I returned to this game.

As a personal opinion, I would say this would be beneficial to a wider audience of players as mainly french/german users play dust and dust_2 whilst UK/US players enjoy Office. Turning #3 Into a "Dust2/Office 24/7" Server would be ideal as the server is empty during the night (UK Times), And if this showed Dust_2 aswell as office, It would see some nightly players on your server.

Im from the UK myself but I have always preferred playing at night times, Unfortunately, Its hard to find an Office server during the middle of the night but finding a dust_2 server is not a problem at all.

Short term: This may take a while for people to adjust and get used to map rotation from playing an Office 24/7 server.

Long Term: Increased Player activity Day and Night regardless of time zone = More users that could register and it can also increase the % chance of receiving further donations to help keep the server up and running.
R0sers

Player: R0sers
STEAM_0:0:74104511

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

hagz wrote:fair enough LD I di ask a few people on #3 what they thought and they all seemed positive.

The biggest problem with asking players on the server, is that they can answer in a positive way by thinking it a great idea at that moment in time. However when it comes to the crunch, those very same players then bemoan the fact that they feel their game is being disrupted by the map change.

Maybe you could get TC to set up a 2 map vote which is different to the other servers, by changing the % needed to swing a vote for the map to change, nothing less than say 80% would allow a map change. As long as players knew the % beforehand then it would really be a majority vote. Mind you there would still be a possible loss of 20% of players even at that %.

A prime example is when a new map is put on the server. The first time it can be great, then the players get used to the map, and start to poke holes in it, until it can become a mediocre map. Inversely players can think a map mediocre, and it grows on them, which just goes to show how fickle some folks are :P :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby dmc25_uk on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:35 am

mmm thats ok LD but with the pop up voting it just gets in players face so they all just press 1 to get it off the screen so i dont think voting fore it will work :)

dmc25_uk
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: dave25_uk
STEAM_0:0:1684228

Postby Little_Devil on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:21 pm

The only way you could be sure that players wanted a cycling map change, is to put up votes at different times of day.

Would you like a permanent map changeover rotation ?
No, leave it office only.
Office to Dust2 to Office
Different Office maps

Run in the morning, afternoon and evening. That way you could see what time of day, if at all, that players would want this.

I tend to think those that like to see huge scores ramped up, would leave after a while, or players only wanting office would not join when Dust2 was on.

I would of course like to think that players would like the type of changeover you propose, but from past experience feel that it would be OK initially then die off.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Ritual_Suicide on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Hey all ,

I would like the idea of having a 20 round timed vote (10T rounds / 10 CT rounds).
So after those rounds you can vote for a map change, this way i think you would have the best of both worlds.

Also i would like it, if it would be possible to at least "re-load" the played map once every 3 hours or so.
This should counter some of the negative sides we experience now, like chairs spawning in CT spawn, players who cant be shot , and some huge lag spikes.

So , i am positive , and hope to see that change :)

(will send box of cookies to specified server ^_^ )

Ritual_Suicide
Recruit Member

Player: Ritual-Suicide
STEAM_0:1:6033253

Postby H$sleeper on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:05 pm

why not put all office maps on 3 as there are a few diff 1s :)

H$sleeper
Recruit Member

Player: Sleeper
STEAM_0:1:1407443

Postby Little_Devil on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:24 pm

There are of course a number of them, but I would imagine admins would have to try a number of them out on #3 to see what kind of feedback they would get.
I know from past experience that the original is always preferred over and above any other, and some at least have had pretty poor reception from regulars of the original.

Some of the times changes to a basic map theme can go down like a lead balloon, whilst other times a different office map can be looked upon as a nice change, but not to play regularly.
I guess it would be a good idea to stick up pictures and names of the different versions, and let people vote on which ones they like/dislike.
If I find a bit of time I may try this out so the players can make an informed decision, so that Elmo can then decide what she wants to do.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby renegade_master on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 pm

the servers i look for 24/7 is always office or dust 2.

so if server 3 was on rotation with dust 2 that would me a happy camper.
renegade_master
Home Member

Player: Renegade_Master
STEAM_0:1:8405460

Return to UKCS : CSS Server Chat