Too few admins - time for a reshuffle

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:CSS Servers

Too few admins - time for a reshuffle

Postby Gorilla*Criminal on Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 pm

It is getting silly now, the lack of admins on has been in decline and in fairness they can't do anymore.

You need a batch of new blood to monitor the servers.

Even right now there have been 2 hackers on for the last 90 minutes at least.

Put this into action
It ain't over until i run outa bannanas
Gorilla*Criminal
Home Member

Player: GainZ!
STEAM_0:1:17321042

Re: Too few admins - time for a reshuffle

Postby smokealot on Fri May 22, 2015 11:37 am

yes not only a need for more admins...but a need for new map rotations!.... not sure who looks after this!

sometimes its hard to figure out if people are hacking.... but for the blatant out right aimbots there is a need for lots of admins around... some days there's no admins on all day.... can there be semi admins? of some kind for this? not sure if this is possible thou!

smokealot
Recruit Member

Player: smokealot
STEAM_0:0:10824963

Postby hagz on Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 pm

anyone can apply for the position of votekicker which allows a player to raise a votekick on a problem player when there are no admins on. these players do not replace admins and should always look to see if an admin is on the servers before taking action but I guess these could be classed as semi admins. Being a UKCS Admin is not just a case of applying. players are vetted for suitability and there is an admin test which they need to pass. on average from application to appointment it takes 2-3 weeks for an admin application to be successful.

Anyone is welcome to apply. And you may say we need admins (and lots more of them) but if they do not apply we cannot appoint them.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Gorilla*Criminal on Fri May 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Agreed Hagz but you may have misinterpreted my target audience, it was for everyone.

Current admins need to promote becoming an admin

Players need to help to make the server better by trying to be one

It's a team effort to keep the server going
It ain't over until i run outa bannanas
Gorilla*Criminal
Home Member

Player: GainZ!
STEAM_0:1:17321042

Postby hagz on Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 pm

totally agree
hagz
Senior Admin

Postby smokealot on Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 pm

if it was promoted i think every tom, dick and harry would apply making even more work for the already busy admins :D but yes to the loyal and trustworthy ukcs players who have been around (zisk been a perfect example of that), makes sense to ask to join! but he already is an admin!

but the votekicker is very good..... need some of them around!

smokealot
Recruit Member

Player: smokealot
STEAM_0:0:10824963

Postby hagz on Sat May 23, 2015 7:21 am

anyone can apply for votekick status and can easily be given and removed. this is a much more casual way of dealing with problems on the server. Votekicks are not admins in anyway but they have the power to raise a vote to effectively ban a player for 10 minutes. there are a large number of votekicks already. There are rules of conduct for votekicks which can be found in this thread along with the application.

VOTEKICK THREAD
hagz
Senior Admin

Postby RedThunder on Sat May 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Personally when a hacker is on i tend that getting their ID to send to admin, but with admins having work etc this votekicker option would be the viable thing as hagz said

RedThunder
Recruit Member

Player: Eclipse
STEAM_0:0:103576490

Postby RyanAvenged on Sun May 24, 2015 12:11 am

The vote kicker status is quite handy as I was a VK for about 2 months before I became an admin and it helped me alot & would encourage anybody to apply for it.
Although there is personal life admins undertake while doing it, I wouldn't say our servers are "in shortage" of admins as quite alot of the time there is 1-5 admins on throughout the day.
I do understand it's frustrating when a hacker is on and no admin is online, which is why I became a VK.
Although there is a big group of votekickers around on our servers, I have never seen one use a VK power since I was one.
But Thunder does the correct thing by taking the ID of the players and messaging an admin so we can investigate further.

I have spoken with a few regular players about this when they complain about no admin being around (even if an admin MAY have just gone offline) but they just complain more often instead of doing the steps like thunder, i.e taking ID's & passing it to the admin team.
"You can't hang on to yourself. You don't have to try not to hang on to yourself. It can't be done, and that is salvation.'

Rest in peace, Tom Searle - Architects

Memento Mori

"Be mindful of death"
RyanAvenged

Player: Ryan™
STEAM_0:1:54347432

Postby Little_Devil on Sun May 24, 2015 2:12 pm

RedThunder wrote:Personally when a hacker is on i tend that getting their ID to send to admin, but with admins having work etc this votekicker option would be the viable thing as hagz said

I can see where you are coming from, but a Steam ID is not good enough by itself.

Imagine you have a player that hates someone else, it would be all too easy to report that person as a hacker. However when there is evidence by way of a demo, then that rules out the above scenario. Even admins have to supply evidence, just like anyone else.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby RedThunder on Sun May 24, 2015 3:22 pm

That is true, I was thinking of it theoretically, I wouldn't report because of a grudge, when the 3 hackers in 1 day came, all people did was complain, now using common sense you would Gather info: Name, ID, even use his ID to check sourcebans, But how you are putting it is the real life version, and you are not mistaken that is how people would do it if was as simple as that report their hated person on the server,

RedThunder

RedThunder
Recruit Member

Player: Eclipse
STEAM_0:0:103576490

Return to UKCS : CSS Server Chat