i49 interest thread!

Going to a LAN event? Want to join UKCS at Insomnia events? Get the latest low down here!

Re: i49 interest thread!

Postby re# Skilgannon on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:45 pm

someone mention Nerf guns? You do know I am bringing a 12 year old with evil aim right :P
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Security on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 pm

So nut shots it is?
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Xerxes on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Security wrote:Yeah the motherboard was damaged during transport so it wasn't really functioning that well.

Was it during your daring escapades on the M4? :P
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby Security on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 am

I suspect that may have had a hand in it yes.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm

The more I think about this the more likely I am to not bring my computer. Not only does it weigh 3 tonnes I'm probably going to spend most of my time talking to/at people, will be nice to have a game here and there if we can organise it, but the chances of that happening are slim to none. Not to mention the cheaper ticket means I can spend more money on pizza :lol:
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Security on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I have gone to the i-Series as both spectator and player and I have always managed to enjoy myself perfectly fine without my PC there but it still is really nice to have your own place to sit down and do whatever on the PC without having to depend on anyone lending their machine.
Last edited by Security on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeah that's true, but other than gaming the only things I need are on my phone :) Will probably end up spectating this time and if I really miss the comp then I'll bring it next time :D At first the costs were putting me off, now it's the realisation that I'd have to carry one of two steel cases and my monitor on a train all the way to Telford lol. Unless there's a train that goes straight through from Cardiff I'm probably going to punch the workman outside my window if he keeps hitting it with a saw.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Unspecified on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Its worth noting that without a full BYOC ticket you cant book a seat in the clanbox. People with spectator tickets are certainly welcome to come in and visit us, but you wouldn't actually have anywhere to sit for the weekend if you go that route.

Getting stuff to LAN can be a pain though thats for sure!
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Unspecified on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Snowbat wrote:So in all seriousness, is this a LAN, or more of a kind of giant crazy party with some gaming here and there? Never been to a LAN before.
Any places I can sleep (hotels or whatever) you can suggest?

Not sure anybody answered you directly before we got off track (expect this sort of randomness at lan ;) )

Its somewhere in between :) Some people do lots and lots of gaming, other people end up playing less than they expected! There are the 'pro' gamers in proper teams looking to win money in their tournaments and those who go on a spectator tickets purely to look round and meet some people over drinks. For us it generally seems to be sitting around your computers, chatting, playing some games and doing some drinking with the occasional trip to various events/finals/competitions thrown in for good measure!

Camping comes with your ticket, though the campsite is a 10 minute walk or so from the venue. There are onsite hotels you can book (The International Hotel & Holiday Inn) - i did a post with some accomodation information here if you want to take a look.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm

hmm that might suck, maybe I could bring the craptop. That said, I could always be the official UKCS bouncer lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Security on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Unspecified wrote:Its worth noting that without a full BYOC ticket you cant book a seat in the clanbox. People with spectator tickets are certainly welcome to come in and visit us, but you wouldn't actually have anywhere to sit for the weekend if you go that route.

Getting stuff to LAN can be a pain though thats for sure!

There are always plenty of seats to "borrow" in the hallway or near the bar area. :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Xerxes on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Echoing Unspecified's sentiments we will not be able to accommodate spectators for more than a few hours at a time. That isn't to say we don't want to see you, but there are solid limitations as to what we and MPUK are able to offer in terms of space and quality of environment. This is a bit of a grey area for us as we really want to see as many of you as possible, but at the same time offer the very best experience for the members we have going with BYOC tickets. As well as this with the increased numbers of us coming to the iSeries events, it is more and more likely we'll have a similar increase in players wanting to come as spectators also. Whilst it has not be a significant issue in the past, increased numbers will likely be problematic.

Please remember that the entire iSeries event is run by MPUK and we cannot allocate any more tables or seats than are paid for in our Clanbox. In addition to this it will not be acceptable to take chairs from other areas of the iSeries as they are needed in those other areas, nor will there be anywhere to sit at anyway as tables will be allocated to ticket IDs for BYOC holders. It is also worth remembering we don't have unlimited space in the box, and the people who have paid full price tickets and Clanbox costs have to be the priority for space. Anecdotally this has been a slight problem in the past with spectators taking up seats for a long time and preventing paid players from having them, which obviously isn't a fair situation to put anyone in. It also has to be noted that the Clanboxes have to be rented from TIC which means there is a cost associated for all Clanbox tickets (hence the small increase in overall price) which wouldn't be reflected by someone occupying that space without contributing to the overall costs; again not a fair situation for BYOC holders.

TL;DR: We'd love to see spectators but can't allow you to stay in the Clanbox for the entirety of the event without a BYOC ticket. :)
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby Snowbat on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

Security wrote:...without having to depend on anyone lending there machine.

Sorry mate, it's stronger than me. :P
On a related note, I'll probably bring a laptop. Is that good too? I'll probably spend a lot of time just walking around, messing with people, have chitchats with you guys, socializing, etc. anyway.
I can be a bouncer too. Not that I look like a tank, but I'm tall and my grumpiness often intimidates people :P

More practically, a French friend of mine (yes he speaks English too) would like to come too. Can he come? Can he? Can he? Can he? *silly Pyro hi-five jump*
And at what date can we buy the tickets?
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Postby Unspecified on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 am

Yes you can bring a laptop if you want, quite a few people do.

We have never needed a 'bouncer' for the clanbox so thanks for the offers all, but i hope we never have to take you up on them. We aim to be as open and welcoming as we can to people who want to pop in for a visit too - its a good way to show people how awesome UKCS can be ;) On a serious note, there is plenty of security and multiplay staff in the building should there be any troublesome people to be dealt with!

I'm sure your friend will be welcome, so long as he likes gaming and isn't as irritating as say.... Kan

The tickets are usually available as soon as the preceding event finishes, so we expect them to be on sale around the 26th of March when i48 ends.

Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 am

Keep an eye on this form though as multiplay caught a few people out last year by releasing them before i48. Rest assured that as soon as we know, you will know.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Security on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Snowbat wrote:Sorry mate, it's stronger than me. :P

That's what she said! ;)
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby EWJ on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Shuriken.. we'll be driving ( plan at the mo) and could possibly pick you up in Cardiff.. We'll work it out closer to the time, As i'm unsure which port we'll drive through i.e Fishguard or Hollyhead.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Shuriken on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:35 pm

:O really? Preliminary Thanks Jim! :D

I'm looking at building a custom case for my old PC so I can have something that I can move around easily but still fit in full size components, It's amazing how much you can save by building specialty cases yourself. Another bonus is that I know it'll fit in my backpack lol. That said I can't see this making it weigh much less, the power supply and gfx card alone almost double the weight. Maybe packing them separately would be a better way to go. Or hell I could just bring a box of parts and build it while I'm there lol (didn't someone do this last time? lol)

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby 13th Nightmare on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:33 am

re# Skilgannon wrote:someone mention Nerf guns? You do know I am bringing a 12 year old with evil aim right :P

Good. That means we can give him targets to aim at during the whole event
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ i55
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby re# Skilgannon on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 am

I warn you, he likes Trell so he wont fire at him
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

PreviousNext

Return to iSeries & LAN Events