Food!

Going to a LAN event? Want to join UKCS at Insomnia events? Get the latest low down here!

Food!

Postby Shuriken on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 am

After threatening ziggy with a shotgun and getting nowhere I've decided to pick your brains about the fine art of lan cuisine!

What did you guys eat while you were there? Anything particularly good? Any horror stories (other than the chicken)? Any general recommendations?

Any info is much appreciated as it'll help a load with my budgeting :D

<3
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Re: Food!

Postby Binerexis on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 am

The chicken wraps were hand delivered by the gods themselves to the venue (and then by very nice ladies to my desk).
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby I Blame my Mother on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 am

The main substance of your diet will be pizza and smoothies (both very tasty and reasonably priced, as well as delivered to your desk) there's also wraps and other noms available (breakfast is also served to your desk) and I think they have "main meals" as well but I can't tell you about those.
That's about it for hot food (within easy reach) there's a shopping centre about 5 minutes walk away with various places to eat but you'll never make it there. There is also an Asda up by those shops so you can stock up on sweet and savoury food to take to your desk.

Budgeting: a 9" pizza was £5.50, most food also around that mark for a "meal" sized portion so go figure.
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Player: I Blame My Mother
STEAM_0:0:5643272

Location: At the late night science fiction double feature picture show.

Postby Trell on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 am

The pizzas were delicious (I had a couple of the 12" for 8-9 pounds) and I drank plenty of on site tea (1 pound a go in a carry our cup, similar to starbucks etc).

Food wise, I went to Asda and got sausage rolls, steak slices, multipakcs of crisps and a few other goodies over the course of the weekend, nice and cheap.

Finally Wetherspoons where we went on the Monday night had some great offers like buy one meal get one free, buy a meal get a drink included, etc.
Trell
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: sfpr.[A]kke is my waifu
STEAM_0:1:15774734

Postby JennyWren on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 am

LAN food is ALL about the Stone Willie's Pizza :) I'm aware that other foodstuffs might exist, but this information is irrelevant.

JennyWren
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Jenny
STEAM_0:1:15899741

Postby ApacheFlame on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 am

Yeah, I stuck to stone willie's for the weekend. That and snacks/non alcoholic drinks from Asda. The wraps were indeed amazing and a little cheaper than the pizzas. You need to order over a fiver if you want it delivered (ordering through the website) which I think a meatball melt + awesome smoothie came to just over that.

Depends on how much of a hungry trucker you are :)
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby RDC^ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 am

Pizza for lunch, pizza for dinner, pizza for midnight snack. The only reason you won't be eating the pizza for breakfast is coz it's not open...

Oh and the milkshakes, they were pretty tasty.
RDC^
Moderator Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: RDC^
STEAM_0:1:19561261

Postby EWJ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Ate in the main bar sometimes, breakfast rolls were ok, burgers for lunch or noodles, whatever the dinner of the day then. All ok food nit the worst ,not the best either.. other than that was pizza and beer and I've a faint memory of rum... But that could have been many other weekends.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Security on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:52 pm

I really wish they had some fresh food etc. and personally I wouldn't call there pizza's as delicious but they were acceptable.
I have been told the noodles and subs were of very poor quality and I personally wasn't impressed with the curry either, the best food by far I had was what we had delivered (well I was one of the people who's food was forgotten) from outside the venue...

I might not look like it but I am all about the fresh and healthy food normally and during LAN I had more fast food then I normally have in a year. :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby NightStalker on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:28 pm

EWJ wrote:Ate in the main bar sometimes, breakfast rolls were ok, burgers for lunch or noodles, whatever the dinner of the day then. All ok food nit the worst ,not the best either.. other than that was pizza and beer and I've a faint memory of rum... But that could have been many other weekends.

Jim....Want some rum? :lol:
NightStalker
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: NightStalker
STEAM_0:0:8782934

Postby 13th Nightmare on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Had mostly pizzas from stone willie's and beers during the event. Though I did have a couple of very nice smoothies there as well. As well as some fish and chips and a nice chilli. But most of the weekend I survived on the pizzas
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby re# Skilgannon on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:30 am

Wraps and Call of Noodles kept me going most of the weekend :)
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Berath on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 am

I'm going to have to try one of these wraps next time

Berath's Brain Burps; you know it makes no sense
Berath
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: (=WDG=) Berath
STEAM_0:1:23915483

Postby Shuriken on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Sounds like there's a decent selection on site, hopefully I'll find a pizza I like, I'm all about the meat lol. Glad to hear there are options outside too, always good to have a backup. I still plan on tackling the titanic burger in oscars too :D

Thanks for your input guys, I have a much better on how much to budget now, even if I don't know exactly what I'll be eating lol. Do they sell the breakfast rolls throughout the day Jim? I'm a sucker for pigs and eggs too.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby EWJ on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm

No mate, only in the mornings afaik.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Shuriken on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Ahhh gutted! Well at least I know what I'll be definately eating for morning snack lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Security on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Left over beer from the night before?
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby JennyWren on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Security wrote:Left over beer from the night before?

Like there'd be any left over.... :P

JennyWren
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Jenny
STEAM_0:1:15899741

Return to iSeries & LAN Events