MLB Masks Online Shop - Chicago White Sox Face Coverings

Going to a LAN event? Want to join UKCS at Insomnia events? Get the latest low down here!

MLB Masks Online Shop - Chicago White Sox Face Coverings

Postby BessLineberger on Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:41 am

When they start spending money on veterans again, they can get veterans who don't end up playing well. But while any collection of transactions will have hits and misses, the Phillies have generally added good major leaguers who played well for them: Bryce Harper has been one of the 25 best hitters in baseball as a Phillie, Zack Wheeler just got down-ballot Cy Young votes in his first year there, Realmuto was the best catcher in baseball for the past two seasons, Didi Gregorius had the bounce-back season the Phillies were betting on. Segura, Arrieta, and Andrew McCutchen have all been average major leaguers as Phillies, as was Carlos Santana for a season. That's about what those players were acquired to be. And when the Phillies were competitive at the trade deadline in 2019, the three cheap rentals Klentak acquired to improve the offense -- Corey Dickerson, Jay Bruce and Brad Miller -- all improved the offense, finishing with the club's three highest slugging percentages that year.

These coverings won’t just benefit you either. FOCO and MLB have agreed to a partnership to donate all proceeds to Feeding America and Second Harvest Canada. Both are working hard to put food on the tables of those who need it during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Maybe there's something about .500, about mediocrity, that these Phillies are simply drawn to. But also maybe there's a lot of chance in whether a team outperforms or underperforms in any given year, and if that's it, it's easy to imagine that the 2018 Phillies could have underperformed and won 66, while the 2019 Phillies could have been the overperformers and won 95. In which case, we wouldn't (yet) be talking about the failure of the plan but about how well it worked.Detroit Tigers Face Coverings

Rogers: It doesn't sound like a big deal now, but when the Yankees inked Winfield to that 10-year contract in 1980, it shocked the sports world. The concept of free agency was still in its infancy and players simply weren't getting mammoth deals back then -- though it was worth only $23 million. Winfield was fine for them, but the Yankees didn't win anything during his tenure in New York.Chicago White Sox Face Coverings

Dick Allen (left), pictured here with Pittsburgh Pirates star Willie Stargell (right), played nine of his 15 major league seasons with the Phillies. He won the American League MVP with the Chicago White Sox in 1972. FOCUS ON SPORT/GETTY IMAGES
It started with his name. “I’d like to be called Dick. … My name is Richard, and they called me Dick in the minor leagues,” he told a reporter from the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin in 1964. Yet the Phillies listed his name as “Richie” Allen, perhaps in an attempt to connect him with Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn, who starred for the Phillies in the 1950s. The diminutive rankled Allen. It “makes me sound like I’m 10 years old. I’m 22,” he said.Houston Astros Face Coverings

Allen is among the most famous of the “second wave” of Black MLB players who became stars in the 1960s and ’70s. These players came of age watching Black stars such as Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. Some, including Allen, had grown up in integrated towns. Yet they were expected to abide by a double standard. Though the league was integrated, Black players were expected to be quiet, humble and grateful that they were allowed to play professional baseball.

While that shot of Manaea is excellent, there is another. This closeup of manager Bob Melvin is one of the greatest photos ever taken, of anything.

Slusser notes in her story that the team might make the masks available to fans at some point, after an immediate influx of public demand.Colorado Rockies Face Coverings

BessLineberger

STEAM BessLineberger

Return to iSeries & LAN Events