HalfLife 2 Problems :(

Given our kin-ship with HalfLife 2, here is a separate forum to discuss anything related to HalfLife 2 and the various Mods out there (eg, Gary Mod, Zombie mod etc)

HalfLife 2 Problems :(

Postby DanielF50 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:37 pm

Lo All,

Ive had HL2 ever since april 2005 :P and not played it in a while.... ive got to sandtraps :)

not played for 4 months?

and it freeze's everytime i try drive my car :?

ive redownloaded it and everything... it just wont work! :(

can Anyone help?

Thanks,
Daniel
[D][A][N] / Ascenity
DanielF50
Home Member

Player: Ascenity
STEAM_0:0:8268507

Postby pzych0 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:39 pm

hmm.. Have you tried [url=http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php]SteamPowered Support?
[/url]

Also, check your drivers / ingame settings.

I presume you have tried rebooting?
pzych0
UKCS Sponsor

Player: dns
STEAM_0:0:4292787

Postby pzych0 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm

Ok I think I found the problem for you:

Download and install the latest version of directx 9.0c found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/sear ... tegoryid=2

If you are locking up at the Loading screen you need to manually re-add the hl2.exe for each of your Steam games to your exceptions list. Once the game exe has been updated on your Firewall you should no longer lock up at the Loading screen.

On machines using nForce audio go to Options > Audio and switch to 2 speakers. This should stop you from crashing when joining your game.

There is also a crash that can happen with nVidia based video cards that is corrected with the following Beta drivers from nVidia:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downl ... 78.05.html

If you are still having crashes while playing your game please try the following steps:

Clean booting to free up memory on machines that have 512mb of ram.

When you start Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
2.In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
4.Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
* Process SYSTEM.INI File
* Process WIN.INI File
* Load Startup Items
5.On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services
check box, and then click Disable All.
6.Click OK, and then click Restart.

Note: To restore your normal boot sequence re-open msconfig and place a check in the items you previously disabled.

For lag issues in game or if you're still not able to get to the main menu try specifying a different DXLevel in launch options. This update replaced any tweaks that may have been made to improve game performance. If you are crashing or locking up when starting your game go to the Launch Options for the game and add -dxlevel 81.

If you are able to play with -window - console, but crash without these two launch options try copying the avi.dll from:

Steam\SteamApps\accountname\counter-strike source\bin folder to the Steam\SteamApps\accountname\counter-strike source folder

This was caused by an update in September, and primarily applies to DoD:S, but it should also work for HL2. I wouldn't recommend using the drivers they suggest however, as I think they are outdated.
pzych0
UKCS Sponsor

Postby DanielF50 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:47 pm

Thanks for all teh help and all pzych0, but i Have a ATi Radeon x300 >_< :P

Daniel
[D][A][N] / Ascenity
DanielF50
Home Member

Player: Ascenity
STEAM_0:0:8268507

Postby pzych0 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:50 pm

DanielF50 wrote:Thanks for all teh help and all pzych0, but i Have a ATi Radeon x300 >_< :P

Daniel

GAH!
pzych0
UKCS Sponsor

Return to Half Life 2, Source Mods, Steam Games