Alien Swarm from Valve [FREE GAME]

Given our kin-ship with HalfLife 2, here is a separate forum to discuss anything related to HalfLife 2 and the various Mods out there (eg, Gary Mod, Zombie mod etc)

Re: [FREE - PC - Shoot 'em up]Alien Swarm

Postby Flawless on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Merged
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Re: Alien Swarm from Valve [FREE GAME]

Postby 13th Nightmare on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Have only managed to play it offline due to time restrictions, but from what I have played of it, it is very good. And there was shades of TF2 when it came to choosing who would be the first character I played as: one of the Medics :wink:
Going to try it online tonight, so be on the lookout for me
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ i55
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Wizav on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 pm

but the landing bay on the elevator, thats a very laggy point for me

I think thats intentional , its not lag its just slow motion/adrenalin or were you talking about something else?

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Holy dick this game is hard when you got to try and activate the Nuclear warhead and escape, Me and Mox have tried this level like 10-20 times and keep failing but we still keep trying, given up now after about an hour or two of trying and going to try again tomorrow
Basically, this is my eyes is a brilliant game, If I'm wanting to keep trying again and again without getting frustrated and feeling cheated, then its a good game :D
Might need to try and get some UKCS'ers to try and help though so we can do this properly.
Also, What level are people? Since I'm level Twentyyyy...Four? or something like that :D
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Wizav on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Holy dick this game is hard when you got to try and activate the Nuclear warhead and escape, Me and Mox have tried this level like 10-20 times and keep failing but we still keep trying

Have someone use the flame thrower it rocks!! the damage is crap but it seems to dissorentate and slow down aliens It's almost like a crowd controll spell, you dont have to fry them either just one short burst to set them on fire seems to do the trick. It helps alot when taking down the big aliens

Might need to try and get some UKCS'ers to try and help though so we can do this properly.
Also, What level are people? Since I'm level Twentyyyy...Four? or something like that

im lvl13 at the mo , I'll add you on steam

Last edited by Wizav on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Nish on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm

I have reached the level cap :S
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby Wizav on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 pm

whats the level cap nish?

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby melipone on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:18 pm

I've played mostly on easy, but it still took loads of tries to finish the last mission. Difficulty also depends a lot on your team mates and whether they stay with the group or do friendly fire etc I suppose. Helps to take both medics too. Just tried it on Normal and did it first go with a guy with medic gun + packs and I had the other medic with that tesla gun + packs(or whatever..the one that doesnt do FF and has a short range). Stay away from those yellow bits on the floor (roll away if they land nearby) and always shoot the little infestation things and the big one that spawns em first. On the last timed bit just run off asap..I found it best just to go as fast as you can and do the last bit with whoever can keep up..mostly just gotta be quick i think on the timed bit and know the way (check the map)..can't really stop to heal people

Will move onto hard next now that I know better what to do. Lvl 14 btw and I got 14% success rate on the last level lol..was so annoying getting to the end then something going wrong

Last edited by melipone on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melipone
Home Member

Player: melipone
STEAM_0:1:3190111

Postby Seven. on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:23 pm

Isn't it around 30? That's where the weapons stop coming.
Seven.
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colonel Seven.
STEAM_0:1:3465036

Postby melipone on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Would be better to put this in Gamer Retreat anyway, no one seems to post here and its a stand alone game, not really a mod for a game

melipone
Home Member

Player: melipone
STEAM_0:1:3190111

Postby LuckyNV on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 pm

Wizav wrote:whats the level cap nish?

level cap is 27, but you can trade in all your unlockables for a medal
start all over again from level 1 :lol: :lol:
And it looks like you can trade it all back again for a better medal :roll: :roll:

fairly addictive, completed it all on hard, you just need the right weapons and method, flamer is definitely tops for the damn infestation crabs, but I'm a big fan of the tesla gun too.
Not tried insane yet, I think we'd need all 4 players knowing what to do.

I'd rather play more campaigns instead.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby Wizav on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Lucky add me on steam we'll try finish insane.

Does anyone know if we can make our own campaigns? all you need is the alien swarm SDK right?

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Loving this game its so fun,addictive and fast. At lvl 14 and the campaign hasn't lost its charm because of the fast pace. Although if your playing with me prepare for spamming of knobs on the map screen since thanks to myself an ingenious simple feature to coordinate team movement and attack on the map has been turned into live ms paint drawings of knobs.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby Arbor plena simia on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:16 am

Reached level 18 or 19 this evening.
Finally completed the campaign on Normal :roll: Damn good game though.

In order to make a pie, you must first make the universe.
Arbor plena simia
Experienced Member

Player: Arbor plena simia
STEAM_0:1:14696266

Postby Imperium [ESG] on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 am

Oh my gosh, I hates l4d and was just gonna play this for the hat but this is truly epic.

Firstly when I tried it out with some randoms it was confusing etc and i got it and quit, played with some rl friends kept getting highest ff dmg but we ended up completing it on medium (with 2 of us surviving). Then with some of my ex-clanmates, we tried doing some achieves. The speedrun even on the first one, is SO hard. It took us about 50 tries with varying tactics, and we ended up getting it on the dot. Adrenaline is so hilarious, it made me cry out with laughter along with the other 3 in mumble. Also, one time we had done it pretty well, and trying to crack down the first door one of us used alt fire of the validator and fired about 4 grenades. My fps went down to 2 with the huge explosion, but it propelled me to the finish....

and beyond:

What we did to get it:

1 Med, 1 Tech, 1 special (not sure about other - i know he has a ring on his head! :P)
Med & Tech use adrenaline (6 total), one use freeze grenades (in case), one use welder.
In terms of guns, the two handed pistols are lightest so should be used. The special needs relatively heavy weapons to kill off a lot, while i know the med uses an assault rifle (from experience).
1) Use adrenaline immediately to reduce any running into walls/delays at the start (1 used, by whoever has a better connection)
2) 1 of the others from special/commander is fast - he fires at boxes in the way.
3) Everyone rush through, fire at the wall. Tech & Welder are right in the middle of the door, med & special on each side firing at the door.
4) Everyone run through, reloading.
5) As the welder (who must be right up front) comes through the door to the first aliens, use an adrenaline (2 used, by the other adrenaline carrier)
6) Dodge furiously and welder starts welding. Everyone should be there, the special should cover the back.
7) As the door is unwelded, use an adrenaline (3 used, by whoever)
8) Run through and in the corridor straight down, use another (tech, who is up front, should call when he wants it) (4 used)
9) Keep running, use another adrenaline. Everyone should be firing except the tech who should be dodging. (5 used)
10) Tech starts using the machine. The adrenaline should be running still, to make it a LOT slower. The med & welder fire at the door, the special keeps everyone in check and kills off the aliens.
11) All goes well, the door should be cracked - the welder and med go back and kill aliens, before using the final adrenaline on the home stretch.

funkymp: aww imperium sounds so cute for a cold-blooded killer
ev.ca††ish-Jesper: :( I hate you Imperium
Salva: IMP YOU GIT
Safire: Imp sounds so small and cute <3 bet he hates that
An Orange: Imperium is just too good

In response to TìMϦl4: Imperium is always funny. :3
Imperium [ESG]
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: [] Imperium
STEAM_0:0:20310476

Postby Seven. on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:28 am

I created a dedicated server to allow 6 players. In theory this should work and in the server browser it displays 0/6 slots. In-game it shows 4 slots.
If anyone wants to give it a shot you can connect to it through the console or steam server browser on "hitmehard.game-host.org:27015".

Sadly I have no test subject at this time of the day so if anyone could give this a shot I would give you digital chocolate chop cookies! BED TIME NN!
Seven.
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colonel Seven.
STEAM_0:1:3465036

Postby eddiedog8 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:13 am

Me this and this guy called rob played trough the whole campaign we won the war head with a minute to spare
Small latte to go
eddiedog8
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Uncleleech
STEAM_0:0:27745659

Postby LuckyNV on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:39 am

yea its something to be careful of, if someone is a heavy with a slow weapon, they will tend to trail behind when running back to escape, though the heavy fighting is only near the end anyway.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby Arbor plena simia on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 am

eddiedog8 wrote:a minute to spare
When I did it, we made it to the ship just as the counter reached 0 :shock: It counted as a completion though :P I genuinely though it was going to say mission failed.

In order to make a pie, you must first make the universe.
Arbor plena simia
Experienced Member

Player: Arbor plena simia
STEAM_0:1:14696266

Postby Flare on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Just loaded it on, started playing the solo mission but my AI controlled Medic keeps dying due to stupidity .... first time I set up a SG behind us to cover the rear and was moving on and I see the medic health go down fast , then she is dead... restart.
Second time I setup the SG to cover the door while I do the hack, I welded the door shut as well for added protection... and the bright spark of a Medic decided the safest place to stand and wait out the swarm was in front of the door getting pounded by the swarm, and in the firing arc of the SG... door smashes she dies I ragequit.

Game is quiet fun though, and the price is just right :P
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

PreviousNext

Return to Half Life 2, Source Mods, Steam Games