Source Media Arcade (Mod coming soon!)

Given our kin-ship with HalfLife 2, here is a separate forum to discuss anything related to HalfLife 2 and the various Mods out there (eg, Gary Mod, Zombie mod etc)

Source Media Arcade (Mod coming soon!)

Postby SM Sith Lord on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Hey everybody. Some of you might know me as a mapper, but this summer I set out to make a Source engine mod. I was hoping to have it completely finished by now, but due to the insane amount of only semi-expected set backs, its initial beta 1 release has been pushed back to the end of October, BUT it is far enough along now to really show what its about.

Source Media Arcade ModDB Profile

There are many videos on that profile demonstrating a handful of the features that SM Arcade has to offer, and I'm adding more as I find time to record them.

"Source Media Arcade is like a 3D frontend to everything you have on your computer. Use it to organize, view, and launch any game, application, or document that you might have sitting on your hard drive somewhere. It allows you to customize any Source engine world map in real-time with links to your personal media or documents, effectively turning any map into your own personal 3D desktop. Use it to create or customize virtual arcades, image galleries, or movie screening theaters that show and launch YOUR media directly from its location on your hard drive! SM Arcade can launch anything that Microsoft Windows can launch. Pictures, videos, games, applications, web links, folders, etc. SM Arcade also caterers especially to programs that take command-line arguments, as well as Steam games and links."

Video of how to automatically detect your Steam Games and have them populate an arcade:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/source-media-arcade/videos/automatically-add-steam-games

You can read the SUMMARY page on the ModDB profile for a long FAQ that explains a lot about how SM Arcade works.

The official forum and wiki for the mod are still under development, so I'll do my best to monitor this thread to answer any questions you guys might have.

Btw, yes it works great with CSS maps. Plus you could set up an item that launches CSS AND automatically connects you to UKCS.

SM Sith Lord

SM Sith Lord
Map Maker

Re: Source Media Arcade (Mod coming soon!)

Postby Frying Dutchman on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Mother Of God! :shock:

This is brilliant! does Valve know about this!?
Frying Dutchman
UKCS Admin

Player: Frying Dutchman
STEAM_0:1:23273517

Postby cerb on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Brilliant indeed! looks fantastic. on the technical side: does the Mod run in the background while you play, and thus take up memory, cpu, etc? or does it close down and relaunch after you finish playing to save resources for the actual game?
oh, and if you can create an animation sequence that makes you sort of slide into the arcade instead of just fade to the game (like when you go into a vehicle in HL2 for example), it will make it so cool :D
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080650

Postby SM Sith Lord on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:19 pm

When you launch a game, SM Arcade does 1 of 3 things, depending on the settings of the media item you are launching.

It can:
1. Launch the media in a window (or full screen) in front of SM Arcade, while leaving it fully open and running in the background (Good for things like Pictures or Videos, or any thing you want to leave open while you continue to explore the arcade).

2. Launch the media in a window (or full screen) in front of SM Arcade, but pause SM Arcade so it takes up minimal resources. In this case, it automatically unpauses SM Arcade when you close the media item that it opened.

3. Close down SM Arcade then launch your media item. (this is good for items that do not run well, for what ever reason, when SM Arcade remains open. For example, HL2, because it uses the same graphics engine which only allows 1 instance at a time)

You can set the launch options for each item on a case by case basis, OR when you are setting up auto-playlists.

I haven't officially contacted Valve about the mod yet, mostly because there was mixed opinions about the mod during development. I plan on contacting them about it after getting a little more feedback from the community.

SM Sith Lord
Map Maker

Postby UK_sniper on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 pm

if we had an emoticon for jizzing ones pants, i'd have entered it about 100 times.

this looks immense. seriously some amazing work going on there. You should definitely contact Valve about this!

please keep us posted with how progress proceeds. i cant wait for a release :D
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Return to Half Life 2, Source Mods, Steam Games