[PC Moba] Dota 2

Discussion of Valve's upcoming Action RTS game DOTA 2

Re: [PC Moba] Dota 2

Postby Flare on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Hehe , got my invite at last :P

Now I can embaress myself by trying to apply my LoL experience to the much more mechanically harder to master DOTA2.
Caught me completely by suprise, I was applying for a job vacancy and noted a new e-mail... it claimed I have been selected so I ran my Steam and lo and behold , DOTA2 is in my games list.

Will take me a while to get up to speed with the game before I can put up any impressions, though I may put up some initial impressions and thoughts on how a newbie will take to the game.

... ah, back to apply for that job now.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Trell on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Well done, and congratulations!
Trell
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: sfpr.[A]kke is my waifu
STEAM_0:1:15774734

Postby Flare on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Had a few games against bots, and ...

Damn, LoL is no way near the same. Holy shit do I feel like a noob... cant even walk properly. Took me 2 matches to work out why I couldnt deny my own creeps ( need to attack move as for some odd reason simply right clicking doesnt work at all ), and learning the slower animations of DOTA2 heros isnt helping my timing at all... took AAAAGGGEEESSS before I managed to work out how to buy something via the courier...hell it would of been faster for me to run back and buy it myself...sent the bugger to me several time empty, and my hero half way to the store instead of the courier.
Struggled with just one pet ( Warlocks ) , seem pretty hard to switch between my hero and my pet... got murdered once while trying to run off, my golem successfully escaped while my hero held off the enemies :roll:

Going to take a while getting used to the odd mixture of slow movement ( compared to LoL ) but quick deaths by ganking, also seems to lack some screen real estate in the game, cant see very far ahead and this is fully zoomed out, and my camera was very twitchy at my normal mouse settings... got to get used to that too.

I was getting better by the 2nd bot match, but my pride is in tatters...easier bots kicking my ass. I will get the hang of it though, and get used to the controls. Guess its reading / watching guide vids / AI botting for a while before I even try join a match.
The chat portion in the lobby is a bit concerning... lots of complaints about Russians, DC's, failing to get a match... guess its not a concern at my level yet.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Trell on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:24 am

Hey sexy.

Trell
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: sfpr.[A]kke is my waifu
STEAM_0:1:15774734

Postby Flare on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:06 am

:shock: Damn , shes a different girl with her make up on ...

imagine waking up next to her with that make up on in the morning :lol:

Nice one Trell, gave me a good laugh.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Flare on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Quick News to those without DOTA2 - In a interview with PCGAMER, Gabe confirmed DOTA2 will be F2P , with a twist... didnt explain the twist tho...something about reward good ( not good as in skill but socialiably good ) players.

Quick rant : Gaaaah , this is getting frustrating. I am playing against NORMAL bots but I am getting my arse handed to me every game. No matter which side I join, the enemy team bots collect at minimal 3 stunners and either Zeus or Sniper and EVERY match I end up laning against either...Sniper denies sp much it aint funny, then gets strong enough to trash me solo...Zeus just zaps me everytime I go near the creep wave... but thats not the worst.
The enemy bot team sticks together, at least 4 man pushes... my lot scatter each time I try join them, I mean they TP out en mass... they seem to wander all over the place, twice I got 4 man bumrushed by the enemy bots on a tower while my bots were all over the map.
What am I suppose to learn here ? That bots can time last hits better ? That they can chain stun like...machines ? They dont care about tanking towers and will happily dive it to get you ?
I tried taking Witch Doctor ( a suggested as easy to play hero by various noob guides ) , and went to support my Sniper bot on the bot lane Radiant safe lane, I get to lane and Sniper sods off and Windrunner comes instead... why ? With Snipers DPS and Witch Doctors bouncing stun good chance of killing the enemy... nah I get Windrunner who excels at stealing a lot of the last hits I was aiming at, the few that Sven and Zeus missed.

Is playing with bots really going to help me learn ? It just seems to be rather doubtfull that noob players could match the bots co ordination or last hitting abilities. Honestly it seems the bots assume you want the carry job , even if you pick a support hero...they just seem to think hes the human he gets the glory job of carrying, we will support the Carry Witch Doctor.

I also find for some reason , which I cant work out yet... my hero when in trouble randomly seems to turn around and run to the enemy I am furiously clicking the hell AWAY from ... no mobs in my way, not clicking the map , not clicking on the path on the other side of trees... wth is with that ? Is the hero trying to auto attack despite my disabling the auto attack ? Glitching in the path finding ? At least 5/10 deaths are caused by my hero turning around and running back into trouble.

No wonder there is sooo much rage in the forums and in game... /rant off.

*sigh* need more practise.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:17 pm

I asked the same thing. Bots are apparently very hard to beat. Setting the difficulty merely changes the amount of gold they get over time, I believe. Just do what I did and jump into games. Hopefully the idiotic Russians will be on the other team, and not your team.

Today, I had a lot of Russians on my team. :|
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Player: Revolving Ocelot
STEAM_0:0:11402139

Postby Wizav on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:47 am

@Bots

If you ping the map they will follow orders, be that ganking a hero or pushing. I'm also pretty sure they respond if you speak to them too. In a game i played i said push mid and then 2-3 seconds later all the bots responded with "Pushing mid" and grouped up, thought it was pretty awesome lol.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Salva on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:33 pm

carry sk :D

Flare ill be back online tonight hopefully and im sure some others will be on, jump in mumble and we can play some games with real people, much easier to learn the game when you can communicate and ask questions as you play i find.
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby ScrewMeh* on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:40 pm

That your worst game so far ocelot? Thats a good game for me :P
Kaworu wrote:One screweh is bad enough, 10 would be.. well.. the world wouldnt recover.

Bring back Wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScrewMeh*
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: ScrewMeh* roll on i58
STEAM_0:1:7319521

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:55 pm

The next game went 44-4.

I also had one earlier which was 50-23. I was on the team with 50. But of course, we still lost.
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Player: Revolving Ocelot
STEAM_0:0:11402139

Postby MrsSekhmet on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Just did two games, first we won in 20 minutes with one DC'ed on the team. I played as razor.
Second won also but took long cause team wouldn't push. Played as sniper.

So me happy :) Were two nice relaxt games, just like i like it :)

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby TheKrumpet on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:38 am

Step 3: Dubstep made me lol so hard.
i7 920 @ 4GHz / ASUS P6TD X58 / 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 / Gainward Phantom GTX570 / Corsair HX650W
Titan Fenrir / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB / Cooler Master HAF 922 / Dell U2412M / HP w2007v
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Krumpet @ i49 BS-D4
STEAM_0:0:32223044

Postby Salva on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:56 am

i dagon trolled again last night as lina, its ridiculous, scepter ulti + dagon....

2 abilities at 280 damage each

ulti at 1250 with scepter

then dagon level 1 is 400

thats 2210 damage in what 2 seconds :D and it just goes up as you level dagon!

i was on about 300 health and a juggernaut started chasing me :( i was running for my life then it literally was a lightbulb above head moment...

turned used ulti then dagon he died i laughed :D winrar.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby MittinsKittens on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 am

I've played a couple games as lycan last night. My good he's so strong, especially with the pub mentality of just letting me freefarm. Well need to Smith or his early game however.
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Flare on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 am

After a few frustrating games with bots I took Ocelotes advise and tried a games against other players, I dont think I did too bad all things considered.
I went Jakiro ( love that champion even if he isnt one of the strongest or popular ), and for some odd reason my team dumped me in the mid despite me buying the courier and there being a Tinker on our team... and a Lone Druid , and Shadow Demon.
I only had 3 tangos, 1 salve , 1 clarity and 3 branches and was trying to farm mid against a Pudge... luckily old Pudge aint the worlds best farmer, and I took molten fire to harrass him cheap ( no mana cost ), was doing fine until Tinker for some odd reason decided to steal the lane and left the hard lane solo to me ( dont know what happened to his partner there ), forced me to lane versus a SF and Shamen solo in the hard lane... and Tinker fed Pudge a few easy kills and left.
Make the story short , I finished level 19 with something like 1 kill 4 deaths and handfull of assists... lost the match but not by far, both teams were beating on each others nexus just the enemy team were 5 while we were 3 ( and a part time VS, level 12... Tinker had buggered off most the match only seemed to pop in occasionally... was level 9 ).
The Lone Druid on our team was pretty awesome, farmed up and basically slaughtering the enemy team, if the other two on our team didnt leave for most the match we would of won easily but as it was only me , the druid and a shadow demon we were always out numbered and despite the druid winning the team fights for us ( with a little help of my Jakiros Icepath and Macropyre ) the enemy were just able to have extra players pushing the other lanes.

I still find getting stuff to be awkward as hell , trying to remember if the item I want is in the main ( or side ) shop or secret shop, which item I want ( the reccommended items are not always usefull... I mean magic stick when laning vs a Pudge...yeah, gonna get a load of charges there ) , getting the donkey to bring stuff still is a pain... yes I miss the ez mode free TP to base in LoL, and I REALLY miss my noobular Flash spell :oops:

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Salva on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:49 am

Changing the default buttons was the bet thing I ever done!

I play the game like an fps :o

I use W A S D to move the camera instead of the silly side of screen mouse method, 1-6 as inventory keys then q e f r as my ability keys
Got then got deny and mumble on my mouse :)
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Flare on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:21 pm

So where do you put your control groups for when you use pet heros like Enchant or Chen , some heros are seriously micro mad and selecting the desired character with the mouse seems awkward as hell.

I got my first win on Sunday, was a wierd ( but probably typical game of noobs beating on each other ).
First I didnt realise I had that wierd random select mode where the game selects 3 heros for you to choose from at random... was like why dafaq cant I choose my Jakiro, why is only Tide , Veno and Death Prophet bright ?
I ended up going Veno as that was the only one I have a vague idea on how to use... could of gone Tide but I aint comfortable with melee's.
Match was also wierd, the enemy Batrider and QoP were pretty decent, the others not so much of a factor but the enemy team was killing my team pretty easily ( especially the Doombringer who only knew how to walk into the fights like a boss and die like a loser 2 sec later, buy back in and repeat the whole game... in between taking AFK breaks ).
I started off top dire side with Zeus and just basically supported him and let him farm while I kept Batrider away, got Zeus a kill with a well timed gale...
Make it short , my team lost in number of kills and such but we took thier ancient when I got tired of defending and pushed the lanes one by one to the towers, taking the barracks and finally going in for the Ancient.

... cant say it was a fun experience, my side didnt say a word the whole match and it was like I was playing with bots. I wonder if I chose the correct skill description when I first started ( the never played dota before option , I wasnt going to assume LoL time translated well in dota ). Bots are too skilled for me to win against, but the players seemed to be struggling with the concept of breathing, let alone playing a game, let alone a moba.
I dunno, need more games :P

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Shuriken on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Now we know why Wiz is so good! He has 2 keyboards! lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Cotillion on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:29 pm

I played as Jakiro again after a break from him trying out some other hero's but i got to say i really love playing Jakiro. His ice stun is really nice and i didn't do that bad with him. I think i'm going to invest some more time into Jakiro.
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

PreviousNext

Return to Dota 2