Tips & Tricks (Configs, Builds etc)

Discussion of Valve's upcoming Action RTS game DOTA 2

Tips & Tricks (Configs, Builds etc)

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 am

Who the hell is Grand Magus? I'm new to dota so I don't have a clue :<

Flare wrote:Who do I have to murder to get a key for this ? I had signed up since the International, filled in that survey and yet to sniff even a chance at the game.
If you guys hear of a chance ( without me needing to give out all my details to some random page , preferably ) to nab a key gimme a yell please.

Feel you bro. I signed up when the international sign thing went live and it took up til two weeks ago to get my key. Hope it doesn't take you much longer bro <3~

Edit:- Sweet, I just managed to find a bind on the internet that speeds up my donkey usage. In one simple click of a button I can get the donkey to Grab all the items in the stash, use the speed skill (if it's winged, if it isn't, it just gives a "Ability not learned" error) and then starts its journey towards me :)
Since I guess a couple of you are going to want this too, Here is what you need to do to.
Got to "X:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg". Then open up the Autoexec.cfg file using notepad (If its not in there, you can just make a text file and then rename the extension to .cfg when you're done pasting the follwing inside it)

Code: Select all
con_enable 1

// Courier picks up whole stash and brings it to you with speedup before returning to base
 alias "quick_courier" "dota_select_courier; dota_ability_execute 3; dota_ability_execute 4; dota_ability_execute 5; Say_Team Using Donkey! Please Wait <3; +dota_camera_follow"

bind "F4" "quick_courier"

bind "F12" "exec autoexec.cfg"

//vvUse these lines for 1680*1050. You can play with the numbers to move the position.
 net_graph 1
 net_graphinsetbottom "436"
 net_graphinsetright "-75"
 net_graphproportionalfont "0"

dota_health_per_vertical_marker "100"
dota_health_marker_minor_alpha "128"
dota_health_marker_major_alpha "255"

dota_disable_range_finder 0

Bind "F8" "Say Good Luck and Have Fun! <3~"

You can rebind F4 and F12 to something that is better for you :3

Also, two other good console commands that you might want to add into that autoexec too are:-
dota_force_right_click_attack 1 (This allows you to Deny by right clicking. Saves you have to attack move onto creeps)
dota_disable_range_finder 0 (This makes it so you can see the ranges of skills when you click to use them. It basically draws a green thick line if you can cast the skill, or it goes slight transparent and has some red in the line showing you can't and you need to move closer to cast it. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work on all the skills, mainly the Blink kind of skills)

Edit:- There is now a keybindable button in the game that does the same thing as my cfg binding. However, The advantage to using the cfg config is that it types a cute little message to inform the people on your team its being used by you :3
It also adjusts the health bars of people in the game so each little segment is 100hp, each big one is 500hp :)
On top of that, It adds a FPS and Ping counter to the top right. You might need to play about with some of the numbers to get it to look right because its currently set up for a 1680*1050 resolution monitor
Last edited by MittinsKittens on Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Re: [PC Moba] Dota 2

Postby Cirno on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 pm

MittinsKittens wrote:Who the hell is Grand Magus? I'm new to dota so I don't have a clue :<

Rubick the Grand Magus is an Int hero, who is one of the most versatile heroes in DOTA purely becuase of his Ult.
To me he's probably one of the most fun heroes, hell even techies is peanuts compared to him.

In a small summary his abilities are-
Q- Telekinesis
Knocks up target for X and then allows you to throw it back to the ground 300 units in any direction stunning anything the target hits.

W- Fade bolt
Think Zeus' chain lightning but better in every aspect. Also lowers the attack damage of whoever it hits

E- Null Field
Passive Anti-Magic Aura (20% aura I think)

R- Spell Steal
As the name suggests you cast it on your desired enemy and you gain their last used ability for 3-5 minutes.
Void ulting? Steal it and ult him back.
Tide ravaging you? Slap it back on him.
Anti-mage just wont stop chasing you? Steal his blink and keep the distance.

And my favourite use?.... Steal Techies Remotely Detonated Mines, telekinesis the target onto your mine pile. Instant Death :3
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Player: The tongue of an Anteater
STEAM_0:1:18759581

Postby Wizav on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:16 am

As jugger you can use tp's or boots of travel during blade dance so it's impossible for people to stun you. It's a great trick for pushing lanes or farming in general, if you get ganked just blade dance > tp and either switch lanes and continue farming or go heal up :D

Also check this out, extra IAS needed for omnislash attacks

Level 25 jugger with no items has around 88 attack speed, agi treads 33 , MoM 100 , Butterfly 60 , Mjollnir 80 etc

It's possible to get 400 IAS with 6 items (including aghanims) giving 22 attacks with level 3 ulti

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Wizav on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Don't pay much attention to the recommended item list, they are just suggested items that work well on your hero, but most of the time that assumes your having a really good game and getting your farm. Recommended rarely lists survivability or counter items like Ghost scepter/Hood/bkb for Physical/Magical defence unless the hero is a carry or deals magical damage to himself like pudge.

You'll do much better in Dota 2 If you just focus on getting items that you need rather that what the recommended list tells you because what you need will change from game to game. If the enemy has an aggressive ganking lineup, get cheap hp and survivability items like 1-2 strength bracers and a chain armor.

1 armor = 6% Effective Health in Dota for instance if you have 1000 hp and 5 armor. A chain armor will increase your EHP by 30% and you get 1300 effective health against all physical damage. Add a Strength bracer and for just over 1000 gold you've increased your HP by almost 50% against heroes like Rikimaru or Clinkz that is huge early/mid game.

Think about team fights before you buy an item, is having an extra 300 mana going to help you if you've been constantly dieing with 50% of your mana pool still remaining? Do the enemy heroes focus you down first in a fight to stop you casting spells or doing damage? Do you always have loads of hp with no mana after a fight? etc

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Salva on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:32 pm

wall of text inc but two ways to speed up shopping when in a game.

you can make a "shopping list" so to speak, to make buying items alot quicker.

when you open the shop, the recommended items tab on the left can be edited using the pencil icon in the top left, click it and you go into edit mode, you can then drag items in and out of the window and save them for each character.

what i do is drag a basic item build in under core items, then different options under situational items so depending on who im up against i can change on the fly.

my basic item build for furion, so under core is (oblivion staff / p.treads / blade mail / mjollnir / scepter / urn) but depending on who im up against or with that may have to change so under situational ill have things like sheep stick if were low on cc or BKB incase were up against alot of magic heroes, or mek and pipe incase ive got to pick up a bit of a support role.

once youve made a build for a character you click the pencil again and you get a text box, i just stick the name of a hero in it for reference. so next time you start a game as that hero to get your item build up click the 4 little squares in the top of the recommended items list and you get a list of builds youve made, just select the one for the character your on and your good to go.

the other way to make buying items faster is using the quick buy box, in the bottom right theres a black rectangle next to the shop button, drag an item there and you get an icon for it, or if its a multi part item it will break it down and give you an icon for every part of it.

So you can drag a pair of power treads into the black box from the shop it will then split it into the 3 components and put an icon for each there, when you get enough gold for a component it will highlight, you can then just click on it in the black box to buy it and put it in your stash or if your at a shop put it in your inventory.
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Aceo on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:58 am

Oh, and be careful you don't drag anything over the Teleport Scroll button on the quick buy bar. It replaces the teleport scroll and you'll need to drag a TP onto it to fix.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Wizav on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Here's a pic of all the juke spots in the game. Red lines are areas inside tree's you can run/hide. Very useful for initiators and people with ranged abilities like mirana hook pudge hook. But mostly used to escape ganks and evade enemies that are chasing you.

Most randoms in public games are unaware of most of these spots especially on the side lanes so make use of them :)

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm

QoP can still be strong late game. She has a nice agility growth and at level 25 with no items she has 140 base damage with good attack speed. Combined with her shadow strike slow and 6 second blink she has really good mobility and kiting.

Just don't waste gold on things like Aghanims it's a waste of gold for 500 more shivas gives more AoE damage , more auto-attack damage , more mana , more survivability and also slows the entire enemy team. Combined with a skadi you can slow and kite almost every hero in the game. If they get BKB just get a ghost scepter and with a late game DPS item like mkb/daedalus you can kite and 1v1 most carries in the game.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Salva on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 am

Spent alot of time playing qop myself aswell, got to be careful what you buy as wiz says and know how to engage late game aswell as how to handle team fights as she's very squishy and can be countered by any hero with a silence, hex or simply anyone who builds an orchid.

I wouldn't say she's bad late game she's just insanely good at dropping heroes early game as everyone has so little escapes and health. she can put out over 1k damage in an aoe and cone in 2 seconds late game, but it's no longer an insta kill so you have to play smart, know when to attack and how to follow up.

She can also make a very counter to pushing heroes though if played correctly.

I've got various builds for her depending on who your against, and if all else fails troll with a Dagon!
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Wizav on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 pm

These are the two builds i used on lone druid in Dota1 if you want to give them a try

1. Bear
2. Synergy
3. Bear
4. Synergy
5. Bear
6. Rabid
7. Bear
8. Rabid
9. Rabid
10. True Form
11. True Form
12. Rabid
13. Synergy
14. Synergy
15. Stats
16. True Form
17-25. stats

Start with stout shield and quelling blade on bear then jungle rush
Lone Druid > Boots
Bear > Boots + 2x gloves of haste

Mid game
Lone Druid > Treads , basher
Bear > Radiance , basher
*Radiance first

Late game
Lone druid > Butterfly , Heart , Mkb/Daedalus
Bear > Assault Cuirass , Vlads

For Ranged mid game/early late change too

Lone druid > Treads , Sange & Yasha
Bear > Basher , Hyperstone

Lone druid > Mjollnir , Butterfly , Heart
Bear > Finish assault cuirass

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm

^

On heroes of newerth they had player stats, the performance graph for Dota2 is probably very similar, It's pretty much the only way you can do it. stat importance should depend on the hero type, like supports probably get good performance for assists, denies and wards placed. I doubt it's much more complex than that.

5 bar performance on a carry you probably need averages like this at high skill level:

Game length: 40
Kills / Deaths / Assists: 10-20/1-5/5-10
Creep kills: 200-250
Neutral kills : 50-100
Denies: 20-40
exp per game: 23k~
exp per minute each game: 500-700~
gold per game: 15-25k~
gold per minute each game: 400-500~
Wards placed: 0

Support

Game length: 40
Kills / Deaths / Assists: 1-10/1-10/10-40
Creep kills: n/a
Neutral kills : n/a
Denies: 40+
exp per game: 16k~
exp per minute each game: 400~
gold per game: 10-15k~
gold per minute each game: 200-250~
Wards placed: 20~

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 am

Using replicate to jump lanes is a waste of time until late game with boots of travel. There's not enough creeps in the waves and you can't farm them fast enough to make it worth while before having to switch lanes so you might as well just stay in your original lane. You can't replicate yourself either so the clones themselves only become useful if you replicate another carry or dps hero at level 16.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Salva on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:24 am

I might play a wee game as enchntress later out of curiosity!
but as for being lost? Just never stand still, there's no excuse not to be doing something on a hero like her, early game do what you always do but as the game progresses if your behind or your teams Half dead just nip into jungle, if there's nothing happening onthe map you can always be farming one way or another, either in jungle or pushing a lane back, just always have a to scroll on hand so you can get to where the action is at a moments notice.

As for items I have no idea how you play her as dps or support

But Off the top of my head and in no real order!
Dps
boots / orchid / Scepter / urn / mjollnir then some survive ability like blade mail, shives or bkb depending on the team

Support Wouk be the usual I guess
Mana boots / mek / scepter / wards / pipe / survivability
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Wizav on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 am

Enchantress is a semi carry. Early game you should gank and push towers and grab an urn to support ganks/pushing and then pick up an aghanims for survivability and huge dps increase. Then destroy face with impetus and make an orchid , shivas , hex or whatever is needed most.

Main difference between Chen and Enchantress is one is designed for support and pushing, one is designed for pushing and ganking. Enchantress has 50% slow and solid dps from level 7 onwards. Chen is almost useless without disable creeps unless he's pushing towers. There both just situational picks, If you have a strong gank/disable line up but lack support/pushing power you pick chen. If you have support and lack ganking/pushing power you grab enchantress.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby MittinsKittens on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:08 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/ ... _to_dota2/

There is a load of guides/videos in there from the basics to the more advance things to dota :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby TheKrumpet on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Revolving Ocelot wrote:Much appreciated. Although I only approach reddit with a clothes peg on my nose and a barge pole. And garlic. And stakes.

Oh come on, we're not that bad...

The newest version of the 'Welcome to DotA, you suck' guide is probably where you want to start.
i7 920 @ 4GHz / ASUS P6TD X58 / 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 / Gainward Phantom GTX570 / Corsair HX650W
Titan Fenrir / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB / Cooler Master HAF 922 / Dell U2412M / HP w2007v
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Krumpet @ i49 BS-D4
STEAM_0:0:32223044

Postby Salva on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:56 pm

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/le ... -to-dota-8

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/ho ... d-life-385

gotta love dota fire, hundreds of player made hero guides on there also.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Wizav on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Razor Nostromo ftw

Thumb alone has 10 buttons to press with D-pad, 15 and 16. With the macro function you can make some nifty scripts for heroes like instant invokes on invoker. QQQ+R , EEE+R etc and add all of his spells directly to the pad.

I use 1-5 for spells, 15 for ulti, D-pad for inventory , 16 courier script , 6 for stop , 7-13 for macros , 14 for mumble and mouse for control groups. Being able to invoke spells with just 1 button should be classed as cheating.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am

the creeps in Dota are MUCH more aggressive than those in LoL, I so much as click to attack and the enemy creeps are all over me before my hero has actually done the attack... basically giving the enemy free harrass ).

That's actually a good thing for lane control, especially when playing mid, Draw agro from creeps on purpose and retreat until you position the creeps on your high ground just before the ramp, if you manage allied and enemy creep hp, you can keep the creeps on your side of mid pretty much constantly. Not only is the enemy hero away from his tower but there's a 50% miss debuff when attacking uphill so last hitting , denying and harassing becomes much harder for them. It's definitely something you want to practice if you play mid, even more so if your a melee against ranged. Agro range is 500 so it's possible to pull/agro creeps without them hitting you. Also using orb attacks like frost arrows will not draw agro if you manual cast but you will draw agro if they are put on auto-cast. The reason you want to manage creep HP is after you agro, your own creeps will get in several free hits, to counter that just start attacking your own creeps once there on 50% hp, You want to keep the number of allied and enemy creeps equal and on similar health so the lane stays in the same place without pushing. Also applies mid/late game if you want to farm a lane safely, just keep the creeps in front of tier3/2 towers and don't let it push out or across the river.

Some things worth trying that i'm not 100% about as there seems to be some differences in dota and dota2 creep agro, But they should have a 2 second cool down on agro, using stop/move command directly after harassing and waiting for creeps to de-agro will allow for 1-2 free hits. Attacking allied creeps will also cancel creep/tower agro. In dota you could also right click next to enemies and let your hero target them using auto-attack which wouldn't agro creeps but that definitely doesn't seem to be working in Dota2 which makes it almost impossible to harass with auto-attacks on melee heroes without creeps attacking.

A useful tip related to that, on melee heroes like anti-mage with a fast attack animation and speed it's usually better to keep auto-attack on and use move commands when chasing instead of right clicking. Right click next to hero > auto-attack > right click next to hero > auto-attack, it removes the delay after attacking when chasing heroes and you can pretty much stay right on top of them and get in more attacks, with good move speed you can even get in front of them and block while attacking. It's really useful on Lycan his stop/start animation after each attack is rediculous, even with his max move speed he spends most of his ulti duration chasing after each attack instead of attacking.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Salva on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:41 am

Control groups are on the bottom row z x c v, I find it works well keeps everything within easy reach for one hand, I play Chen a bit aswell and havnt had many issues with it, occasionally a miss click an ill grab the wrong creep I control but meh it happens

And yeah don't use your abilities on creeps :o jakiros passive dot is a great Harras on its own, paired with a smart Q it can be really annoying early on.

Depending how your playing jakiro you should pick up mana boots, or hid or sheep stick really anyway which will all be enough for your mana needs!
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Next

Return to Dota 2