Tips & Tricks (Configs, Builds etc)

Discussion of Valve's upcoming Action RTS game DOTA 2

Re: [PC Moba] Dota 2

Postby TheKrumpet on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 pm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75495922/InvokerTrainer.htm

14 seconds first try. Fairly amusing :D.
i7 920 @ 4GHz / ASUS P6TD X58 / 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 / Gainward Phantom GTX570 / Corsair HX650W
Titan Fenrir / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB / Cooler Master HAF 922 / Dell U2412M / HP w2007v
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Krumpet @ i49 BS-D4
STEAM_0:0:32223044

Postby TheKrumpet on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:02 am

Wizav wrote:That's actually a good thing for lane control, especially when playing mid, Draw agro from creeps on purpose and retreat until you position the creeps on your high ground just before the ramp, if you manage allied and enemy creep hp, you can keep the creeps on your side of mid pretty much constantly.

Not always desirable. If you have a bottle and need to rune, you want to push the creeps right up to the enemy tower before leaving so 1. Your mid tower is safe and 2. You don't lose out on any CS/EXP.
i7 920 @ 4GHz / ASUS P6TD X58 / 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 / Gainward Phantom GTX570 / Corsair HX650W
Titan Fenrir / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB / Cooler Master HAF 922 / Dell U2412M / HP w2007v
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 am

TheKrumpet wrote:
Wizav wrote:That's actually a good thing for lane control, especially when playing mid, Draw agro from creeps on purpose and retreat until you position the creeps on your high ground just before the ramp, if you manage allied and enemy creep hp, you can keep the creeps on your side of mid pretty much constantly.

Not always desirable. If you have a bottle and need to rune, you want to push the creeps right up to the enemy tower before leaving so 1. Your mid tower is safe and 2. You don't lose out on any CS/EXP.

Runes and creep waves spawn at the same time, you can grab rune and be back at lane just as the next wave gets there. You shouldn't be loosing any exp or putting tower in danger. Once you get back to lane with full bottle, the enemy hero is vulnerable and you have space to gank, you can't gank him if he's sat next to his tower you just make yourself vulnerable and can't last hit/deny properly.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby TheKrumpet on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 am

Wizav wrote:
TheKrumpet wrote:

Runes and creep waves spawn at the same time, you can grab rune and be back at lane just as the next wave gets there. You shouldn't be loosing any exp or putting tower in danger. Once you get back to lane with full bottle, the enemy hero is vulnerable and you have space to gank, you can't gank him if he's sat next to his tower you just make yourself vulnerable and can't last hit/deny properly.

Yeah, but there's still the issue of the creep wave beforehand which will arrive in mid at roughly the same/similar time to the rune spawn. So you have to nuke down that creep wave, which will push your wave to their tower else you will lose CS/EXP.
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

Witch Doc Ulti is great, it has 1100 max range and doesn't reveal you from fog so you can stand in trees , juke spots , high ground and any other hidden places where enemy can't see you and at level16 with aghanims it can dish out like 10k damage.

If your in a good hidden spot during a team fight the enemy often doesn't even know death ward is hitting them.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Aceo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Ah, that reminds me. Don't even bother with the heal till Q and E are both at level 4 in public games, not enough teamwork to make the less CC/big damage worthwhile in early/mid.
If anyone tries to tower dive, land stun, then land E and they will pay dearly for trying.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby VeNzorrR on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Skill order: Q E E Q E R E Q Q W R W W W Stat R Stat Stat Stat Stat Stat Stat Stat Stat Stat

Item build:
Early-Mid Carry Build:
Start - Gauntlets of Strength - Courier - Healing Salve - Tangos - Clarity x 2;
0-10 Mins: Bracer - Flying - Observer Wards - Arcane Boots
10-30 Mins: Dagon Level 1 - Dagon Level 5
30+ Mins: Aghanim's Scepter + Shadow Blade/BKB
GG

VeNzorrR
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: VeNzorrR @i49 BS-D5
STEAM_0:1:5539356

Postby Salva on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 pm

ive been having a few owning sprees on lina recently played last night got to lvl 24, we still lost but most people were still 6 levels behind me

my go to build for lina is

phase boots / scepter / bloodstone / dagon / urn / blink dagger

obviously that can chop and change depending on farm and opponents but i find it a good base to aim for

scepter is an extra 300 damage at level and the fact it will give you an extra 390 hp then mana aswell, id say its almost essential.
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Aceo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Mana boots/wand/wards/Scythe of Vyse/Blink

More CC is always nice I think, generally more useful then just a bit more damage.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Cirno on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 pm

If you're having a hard time with Mana Management with Lion, get two points in mana drain, From one drain you get enough to use another spell (Common tactic is leveling Q as priority, Mana drain secondary with a point in Hex, and simply SPIKE->Drain Repeat, you should always be in mana)

With Pudge you should try a Bottle (If mid with rune control), Arcane Boots or even a Force Staff for more mana.

Dagon and Aghanims on Lina is a complete pubstomp build if you've already become 8/0, otherwise her sceptre upgrade is pretty awful and that 4.3k could've been used on more important items (Wards, Vyse, Euls)
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Player: The tongue of an Anteater
STEAM_0:1:18759581

Postby Aceo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Cirno wrote:If you're having a hard time with Mana Management with Lion, get two points in mana drain, From one drain you get enough to use another spell (Common tactic is leveling Q as priority, Mana drain secondary with a point in Hex, and simply SPIKE->Drain Repeat, you should always be in mana)

+1 to this. When in a pub game with Lion, normally just go QEQEQRQ, then get W up and finally the last 2 points in E, getting ult whenever I can.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Cirno on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Aceo wrote:
Cirno wrote:If you're having a hard time with Mana Management with Lion, get two points in mana drain, From one drain you get enough to use another spell (Common tactic is leveling Q as priority, Mana drain secondary with a point in Hex, and simply SPIKE->Drain Repeat, you should always be in mana)

+1 to this. When in a pub game with Lion, normally just go QEQEQRQ, then get W up and finally the last 2 points in E, getting ult whenever I can.

Exactly this skill build, UNLESS the enemy has a Skeleton King or Anti-Mage where I will go QEEQEREQQW, since his rank 4 stops skeleton king rebirthing and anti-mage blinking in only 2-3 seconds of a channel.
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Flare on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:47 pm

hmmm... I have actually been Maxing Q and W, taking R at each chance and all stats ignoring E on my Lion ( got that idea off Purge from purgegamers )... not many chances to stand there and drain in lane ( bloody creeps beat you fast in DOTA2 ), and except for certain heroes , its pointless to drain enemy players... just kill 'em outright.
I have tried a few items to see which is best for early mana issues, Arc shoes are the best for a quick top up , power treads are nice as I can set them to int when fighting and switch to str when I want a HP buffer when roaming.
Tried a voidstone , thats a decent boost to regen but a bit pricey early on...

Late game no worries as my mana seems to become sufficient with stats and some items... its just that early game, when I want to harrass enemies off thier farm.

I'll try out the tips and heroes reccommended to see how it works out though... think I'll give ol Skeleton King a bash as well , I need to get used to melee heroes and he seems simple enough.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Trell on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:16 pm

In pub games its easy to use mana drain on lion on creeps. It-s amazing in fact - I stopped levelling it for a while after watching Purge too, but seriously, its too good when laning NOT to take.
Trell
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: sfpr.[A]kke is my waifu
STEAM_0:1:15774734

Postby Wizav on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:32 pm

level3 drain with level3 spike/hex is guaranteed disable every 15 seconds. When laning with an Ursa or other burst damage hero it's quite op.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Found this cool website that shows your stats, im quite surprised by my average k/d/r and gpm thought i was doing much worse

http://stats.dota2.be/login

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Tue May 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Wizav wrote:Found this cool website that shows your stats, im quite surprised by my average k/d/r and gpm thought i was doing much worse

All I get is a large wall of 0% for many of my most played characters. Meh.

(They're not false!)
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Player: Revolving Ocelot
STEAM_0:0:11402139

Re: Tips & Tricks (Configs, Builds etc)

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 am

Edited the original post because the config is completely out of date and would be completely useless if someone tried to actually use it because Valve have moved donkey skill locations around and too explain the extra features that I've picked up over the 2-3 months of playing Dota!
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Aceo on Wed May 02, 2012 5:24 pm

If you're playing as Zeus the highest damage chain, with all skills at max, is Q > W > R. His passive applies before the skill damage hits and does more the higher their current health is, so the lowest damage skills go first.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Cirno on Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 am

A quickish guide to Phantom Lancer for people wanting to try him.

He IS a farm dependent carry, although he kills squishies pretty easily with a diffusal blade alone.

Skill Build-
W
Q
W
Q
W
Q
W
Q
Juxtapose/Phantom Edge till max.
(Q+W can be swapped around if you are being aggressive)

Items-
Start with 2 circlets, 2 clarity and Tangos. You NEED the health and mana from the circlets to sustain doppel and spirit lance.
Turn circlets into Wraiths and one wraith into Aquila.
Power Treads (Swap stats as needed)
Diffusal Blade (Upgrade twice)
If going glass cannon- Yasha into Manta then Butterfly.
If wanting survivability- Heart.
Last edited by Cirno on Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Dota 2