Tips & Tricks (Configs, Builds etc)

Discussion of Valve's upcoming Action RTS game DOTA 2

Re: Tips & Tricks (Configs, Builds etc)

Postby Aceo on Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am

Why don't you get Doppelwalk? It's his only reliable escape skill, somewhat like AM not getting blink or BH with no stealth.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Cirno on Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 am

That was my mistake, I correctly named juxtapose as to max last but put E instead of W.
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Player: The tongue of an Anteater
STEAM_0:1:18759581

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am

Actually, you can still see the PL's red circle after he doppelwalks, so you can easily chase him until he reappears.
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Player: Revolving Ocelot
STEAM_0:0:11402139

Postby Cirno on Fri May 04, 2012 11:27 am

Revolving Ocelot wrote:Actually, you can still see the PL's red circle after he doppelwalks, so you can easily chase him until he reappears.

Haven't seen it happen yet while spectating, also had no problem doppelwalk juking enemies when I played him =\

Although playing against him just now, yeah easily chased him via that red ring ¬_¬
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Fri May 04, 2012 5:35 pm

The only things PL's illusions benefit from are Crit , Evasion , Feedback , Raw stats , Raw HP , Raw Mana and Raw MS, nothing else works on them apart from Radiance Aura.

BoT are the best boots, Illusions don't get any attack speed from treads and the MS helps them chase, TP helps PL farm/defend/push

Diffusal/Manta/Butterfly/Daedalus/Heart are the only items you should make on PL. Radiance works but it only gives illusions the aura, It's much better to give them crit , evasion , move speed , hp and damage from raw stat's.

S&Y is easier and cheaper to build than manta but for an extra 600 gold you get +10 agility and two extra illusions vs 2 str and 2% MS. 10 agility is 10% attack speed, 10 damage and 1.5 armor for every illusion.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Flare on Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 pm

How do you counter PL ?
Just bumped into him and the guy had 36 kills, 5 deaths ( claimed first time , doubt it )... I was playing my Lina and wasnt doing too bad but when the team fights came PL really messed me up... sooooo many illusions ( plus a enemy Huskar that looked a lot like PL at a quick glance ), and even his illusions were doing respectable damage plus invisibility... who the hell do I stun ? His cute throw a ball and make a illusion on your ass isnt fun either.
Seriously it was like 7 or 8 illusions and somewhere in that mix was a Huskar , with a Skeleton King running about stunning teammates and a Necro undoing all the hard work... and a Windrunner who was pretty forgettable.
I was sort of dealing with him by Dragon Slaving his massed illusions but he made them again so fast I couldnt keep up... and his main body was so tanky anyways so when I actually found the real one he could take a full Stun + Slave + Laguna and run off.

To be honest I think the matchmaker fucked up bad...I got 15 games in DOTA2, the enemy team was not playing like new players at all... SK had BKB early and never missed a reincarnate ( a new player would of sometime been too low in mana for it ), PL 35 kills first time...BS. The match was a total roflstomp and there wasnt a damn thing I could do at all.... we had Lone Druid ... who couldnt even tank the PL's illusions let alone the SK , Huskar ,Necro or Windrunner... a Lich who tossed his ulti a single PL illusion as a alpha attack, a Sniper that opened up with assassinate but had very little right click damage, a Lina (me , who was stunning illusions and blowing Lagunas on SK and Linken sphere carrying Windrunners ) and a Juggernaught who everyone ignored and could only spin around and run off.

How do you counter a PL and his 50 illusions, invisibility and put an illusion on yo ass trick ? Especially when he has ulti up and illusions are making illusions who make illusions who make illusions who make illusions... annoying as hell.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Cirno on Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Earthshaker.
Destroying his early game (He is awful early game)
AoE Damage/Disables.
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Aceo on Fri May 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Also, treat him as a stealth (Riki/BH), it's worth picking up dust and maybe a gem.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 pm

I've had some quite successful games as Slardar and Bounty Hunter against PL. As long as you identify the right PL and apply Amplify/Track, it's not hard to bring him down. Slardar has his AOE stun and bashes, and BH can harass him all mid-game and quite handily deny his farm, and both can keep up with his Dopplewalk.

I haven't played Earthshaker before, but I'll probably give him a try against PL in the next few days.
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Player: Revolving Ocelot
STEAM_0:0:11402139

Postby Aceo on Fri May 04, 2012 8:19 pm

OD can pretty much 1-shot each illusion as well.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Any carries that can make use of a battlefury or mjollnir counter him pretty hard, Naix and Void are good at it.

Slardar with MoM/AC and Battlefury is probably the best counter to him, after 1-2 hits you can ulti the real one then go to town.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Aceo on Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 pm

I guess Sven would be quite good then, so long as he had some support. Probably wouldn't win 1v1.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Yeah sven stomps him with good farm and crit, can two hit all of his illusions late game.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat May 05, 2012 3:14 am

So disappointing how crappy Phantom Lancer seems to be. Such a shame because I was looking forward to playing him quite a bit.
He just seems to get shut down too easily or just simply fails to do anything worthwhile. I also find his illusions to way too wild to count on it. You either seem to have none or max out and it can go from one state to the other with no real reasoning and pretty quickly.
Shame....

Edit:- Looks like some bug fixes have been pushed out to fix some of the bugs you've guys have been experiencing :)
Still don't think its going to help. Still going to give it a stab a couple more times. Really want to see if this guy can work...
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Aceo on Sat May 05, 2012 8:29 am

He's definitely carried games that i've seen. However, just like all hard carries, he needs his farm. Perhaps more so than say Riki, he certainly requires at least one of his core items given his lack of 'steroid'.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 am

MittinsKittens wrote:I also find his illusions to way too wild to count on it. You either seem to have none or max out and it can go from one state to the other with no real reasoning and pretty quickly.
Shame....

Perhaps you built him wrong?

Spirit Lance + Manta instantly gives you 3 illusions and with PL himself that's 4 units with 18% proc chance. You should get your 4th illusion almost immediately then after that it just snowballs to 10 illusions in seconds.

Lance > Manta > attack > Purge > attack > Lance > attack

That combo gives 10 seconds of constant MS slow while your initial 3 illusions wack away

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Cirno on Sat May 05, 2012 11:01 am

PL simply requires too much farm to be effective, it's fine if you have a good supporter with him that allows him that crucial early farm, but overall PL just doesn't cut it compared to other carries in my experience.

(Try a Crystal Maiden with Aura max first, or a Keeper Of the Light feeding a PL mana, with his basilius aura too that Q spam is ridiculous)
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat May 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Wizav wrote:Perhaps you built him wrong?

Yes. Yes I did... Built him a bit better with a better skill order and I went 8-0-6 before I had my first death and I think I ended the game 12-3-7 and had fun the whole way there. Gave me some hope for the hero. The only downside to him that has already been stated here is, Jesus christ you need that quick Vanguard/Boots/Diffusal Blade. Fail to get them in a reasonable time and you may as well quit since you're not doing anything useful that game.
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Aceo on Sat May 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Only go vanguard if you're going Radiance. I don't see the point in it for normal attack carrying on him. The vanguard just gives the illusions that extra bit of tank for more radiance time.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Street on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 pm

Countering PL:

Hard counters
Off laners - likliest match up.
Legion commander: Probably my favourite counter, because the laning is likely. LC offlane, vs PL safe. Go blink first. Duel quickly and often. Every damage you steal, is less damage from the hero but also its illusions. Overwhelming odds helps vs illusions. You won't get enough farm to 2v1 early on, but with a mid rotation, you're good. Just be sure to setup appropriately by burning the support's regen.

Mid laners
Lesh: Strong wave clear, can ruin illusions. Ulti will help to clear too. Just go the normal build and you should be fine. Kind've awkward as Lesh isn't that great of an offlaner.
Ember Spirit: Strong wave clear. Go double battlefury over crits. Otherwise a fairly normal build.

Safe laners
Sven: Strong melee cleave. Lifesteal will ensure you stay upright. Buy BKB to protect against diffusal. Sometimes PL can go offlane.

Strong Early-Mid game counters
Mid/Offlaners
Zeus: Illusions have no magic resistance very quickly. Go with Veil of Discord build to both identify real hero, but to also amplify magic damage to heroes. Zeus will scale off though. Select when other team also has useful anti-zeus targets. Invis heroes predominantly.
Kunkka: Tidebringer cleave will hit multiple targets, including the hero, X also always goes for the hero, and requires very good timing with doppel to dodge. Go offlane as PL is likely to be safelane.

Situational counters:
Earth Shaker: All about the ulti really. Lots of illusions, drop the echo slam.

Strong items
Mjollnir: More wave clear
Veil of Discord: DID YOU KNOW? Popping veil of discord on a bunch of PL illusions and PL, THE REAL ONE IS HIGHLIGHTED IN A PURPLE HUE.

Street
Recruit Member

Player: Yuan
STEAM_0:1:398988

Previous

Return to Dota 2