DOTA2 Rant and ask for help topic

Discussion of Valve's upcoming Action RTS game DOTA 2

Re: DOTA2 Rant and ask for help topic

Postby MittinsKittens on Sun May 27, 2012 4:58 pm

I don't what the big fuss is about it in all honesty. They need to make it so "Grid" mode can be selected as a default setting, and to clean up ALL the character portraits and clean up the HUD for grid mode. If they do these 3 things, I reckon it's better then before :)
So, because of these points, I'm not getting why most of the community seems to be blowing up about the HUD saying Valve are bad and should feel bad ect ect :/
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Aceo on Sun May 27, 2012 5:28 pm

It's near impossible to find what you want in it, made more sense having champions vertically radiant/dire.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby MittinsKittens on Sun May 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm having no trouble with that :o
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Mon May 28, 2012 3:51 pm

It did give me some trouble... I was like WTF ?!?

I clicked on grid mode and it was ok, but still I dont see the benefit from the new default, what is it trying to achieve ?
It was pretty simple before... Radiant / Dire ... Strength , Agility and Intelligence ...easy.
Now its a confusing mess of reccommended , search , scroll through a list... wierd, ok it didnt help I had a few beers ( hot weather , thats my escuse ) :P
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Aceo on Mon May 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Flare's pretty much summed up my thoughts which I couldn't put into words. The new one is far too complicated with too many extra buttons and options.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Salva on Mon May 28, 2012 7:23 pm

yah im not a fan either, the cards are stupid, grid views a mess and the fact to double check someones abilities you then have to click on them taking you back to card mode and mouse over them, then select to go back to grid annoys me.

i do how ever like the filtering system for melee/ranged and carry/jungle etc etc
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am

I admit, it's a little sloppy and could do with some TLC.
What is baffling me is the fact everyone thinks it's completely broken, what were valve thinking, they should put it back and they should die in a fire and god knows what other hate they have spewing out their mouths/keyboards...
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby ScrewMeh* on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:52 am

As you all said to me about TF2, it's part of the game, shut up and get used to it :D I quite like the new hero selection menus :D
Kaworu wrote:One screweh is bad enough, 10 would be.. well.. the world wouldnt recover.

Bring back Wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScrewMeh*
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: ScrewMeh* roll on i58
STEAM_0:1:7319521

Postby nevvy on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 am

my rant is related to the fact that i only just found this thread and subforum!

I've worked enough of the basics out by myself to not suck completely at DOTA, i still get destroyed fairly often but at least i know why now...

I'm still not sure this game is for me, i see the appeal though. I need to work out which role best suits my playstyle. I also need to stop playing with randoms.

rest assured that i'll be back here with stupid questions shortly.

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby Aceo on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Add me on Steam and I can give some general pointers on most heroes.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Salva on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:49 am

ill be on during the week nevvy will play a few with you, i watched 20 minutes of you playing last night, you done well, maybe need to work on item builds a bit and learn not to over extend so much and go pushing lanes solo, but other than that you were doing good, decent last hit and deny ratio aswell when ive seen you play.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Flare on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:58 am

I want to get into the game, but I dont have a ready list of pals who game in RL to call on to avoid playing with randoms and my gaming habits make it hard for me to just jump on mumble with the UKCS guys and play, I dont play enough to be around regularily.

I end up on LoL, not because it is better ( or worse ) but because while I still get the brain dead morons on LoL at least I am not trying to master the game at the same time... I have over 600+ wins in LoL, and 25 in DOTA2.
DOTA2 is also extremely unforgiving, in LoL you can escape a lot of mistakes , in DOTA2 you wont even get time to go 'ah shit'... but apart from the community ( in both games it sucks ) my biggest bugbear with DOTA2 is the movement, feels like I am on a 500ms ping match in slowmo action being directed by Woo ... IIIII NEEEEEEDDDDD TTTTOOOOO RRRRUUUUUNNNN AAAAWWWWAAAAAYYYYY... then half the time my hero decides to path towards the enemy I am frantically trying to run from, even though I am clicking near the tower like a mad thing.
(FYI - my usual ping is 83ms, with 60+ FPS)

I have to admit though, when the teams are matched and the players are actually playing and not ranting... DOTA2 is a LOT of fun.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Salva on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Flare wrote:DOTA2 is also extremely unforgiving, in LoL you can escape a lot of mistakes , in DOTA2 you wont even get time to go 'ah shit'...

that there is why i love the game so much, as it is that unforgiving, you screw up you and your team are punished for it.
Ive watched lol and hon tournaments and streams, and im sat here in disbelief when i watch someone walk into 3 enemies, go whoops and just run away loosing maybe half there health. Im like wtf you made a huge mistake wheres the actual punishment!
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Flare on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 pm

There is a limit to how silly you can be in LoL, I just think DOTA2 just has too many disables... very often I can even see the gank incoming but there isnt a damn thing I can do...

Like example Bloodseeker, pops off that ulti and you get to choose wether you run and die like a idiot, or ( as I prefer int heroes ) get silenced and stand there as he melees you to death... cant even run or fight there, and then if he gets a force staff.... instantly an extra 400+ damage and you get pushed out of position.

There is also too many anti caster items and silence abilities/items... its the most common audio cue on my games 'silence, silence', and again if your a int hero... you are buggered when someone pops off thier BKB... 10 (15 ?) sec of CC immunity and magic damage reduction.
I guess you could go ghost blade, or ethereal ( makes you immune to physical ) but that makes you take sooooo much extra magic damage.

However I must say DOTA2 has a much wider and interesting array of skills and abilities ( just strangely enough, not that many skill shots )... like Undying, or Wisps stuff... and Gyros homing missile is a laugh, some are a bit cheesy like Zeus global KS ulti... or Snipers huge damage at such a long range which comes out of nowhere.

I dont mind dying to a gank, but the amount of garbage random pubbers spew out when you do get gank, its like you personally pissed on thier relatives graves or something... the amount of abuse just doesnt match the situation.... LoL has those guys too, but at least I have enough experience to not get ganked so often, so I am not that often the target for the abuse.

Part of the issue is there isnt that many proper newbs, most at that level are just bad and sour dota1 vets who find they still suck even though its DOTA2 and take it out on the new players... when Valve open the game to the public, and divide the servers up a bit more ( NE Euro -> that way please, out of the West EU servers, thanks )

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Aceo on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Flare wrote:Like example Bloodseeker, pops off that ulti and you get to choose wether you run and die like a idiot, or ( as I prefer int heroes ) get silenced and stand there as he melees you to death... cant even run or fight there, and then if he gets a force staff.... instantly an extra 400+ damage and you get pushed out of position.

Best thing to do is to carry a Teleport scroll and just port to base, he has no way to interrupt it and shouldn't be able to kill you in under 3 seconds.

BKB is just 10sec of magic immunity that reduces with each usage, down to 5secs. Imagine, say, a Drow Ranger with the casters at level 16 without a BKB. They'd be dead in under 3 seconds from CC/nukage. BKB just allows carries to do what they do.

One of the main things that was annoying about LoL was how easy it is to get an escape on it. No matter what champion you picked, you essentially had an escape/blink in Flash no matter what. Making what champion you pick and how you play according to this matter even less.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Previous

Return to Dota 2