Wanting to start playing this soon, suck at MOBAs

Discussion of Valve's upcoming Action RTS game DOTA 2

Wanting to start playing this soon, suck at MOBAs

Postby Binerexis on Sun May 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I've heard that the DOTA 2 community is generally quite unforgiving/abusive so do you guys know of any guides/videos aimed towards people who have never played before?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Re: Wanting to start playing this soon, suck at MOBAs

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Sun May 20, 2012 5:16 pm

It's not THAT bad. If you play on the EU servers, any abuse will probably be in Russian anyway, so it won't affect you.

With that said,

http://www.welcometodota2.com/2012/01/p ... s-aka.html
Quite a nice primer for learning the game, although there are some things I disagree with. Such as bot games. Play one just to get how the game works, then never touch them again. Just a pointless exercise in how to lose. There's also quite a few terms he throws around that won't make sense.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki
Good to browse for general information on items, heroes, what to pick/not to pick depending on your skill level, and terminology which the above sorely lacks.

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/heroes
A site I regularly use for more in-depth information about each hero. Lots of guides of varying quality, with item and skill orders.
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Player: Revolving Ocelot
STEAM_0:0:11402139

Postby Binerexis on Sun May 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Maybe I'm blind but where is the "Pick this champion if you're new to the game and don't want to look like a tool" section of the wiki?

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Sun May 20, 2012 6:29 pm

It generally just says in the header for each hero "this hero is recommended for beginner/intermediate/advanced players".

With that said, just don't pick Pudge for your first game. Or complex heroes like Chen. You'll be (comparatively) fine.
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Postby Flare on Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 pm

I reccommend you watch Purge at : http://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers

Look for his what to buy and laning guides, also watch his games with some of the heroes ( but dont just accept he is god of the game, just pick up tips and learn your own style ).

Grow a thick skin and ignore the majority of what the others players are typing, many rage for the stupidest things and believe they are the ones who will carry the team and deserve everything ( even in a 5 carry team ).
The most rage inducing part is the last hitting and denying mechanics, now that you can practise with against bots... dont try win against bots just try get lots of last hits and try deny a few, get used to the flow of laning and the shopping mechanic... get that right and its all a lot easier then.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Revolving Ocelot on Sun May 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Also, the Spectate option is lovely. You can watch live games at any time, or watch people on your friends list. If there's a certain hero you want to play, you can watch a game with that hero in and see how they fare, and possibly emulate their style if they're not completely stupid. I'd recommend watching a few games before you start properly playing to see how things operate.
Revolving Ocelot
Home Member

Postby Cirno on Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 pm

I disagree, I don't think Purge is who people starting the game should be watching, more of people who are familiar, who want to pick up on some new things they perhaps didn't know before.

This channel has a basic introduction to most heroes giving a rough idea what they all do skill wise, and has a few guides to specific heroes on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DotaCinema?feature=watch
Cirno
UKCS Sponsor

Player: The tongue of an Anteater
STEAM_0:1:18759581

Postby Binerexis on Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm usually more than happy to grow a thick skin and ignore folk but MOBA's seem to rely quite heavily on everyone in the team not sucking. Who knows, maybe I've been misinformed. Either way, I've now been told by DOTA 2 players to just ignore people in game so I'm sticking to that religiously ;)

Thanks for the help guys (especially the part about Spectator Mode, that sounds AWESOME) and I'll hopefully run into you in game at some point! :D

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 am

Also avoid bots unless you can afford a new mouse and/or keyboard and/or monitor and/or desk each game
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Diggertron on Fri May 25, 2012 5:53 pm

How do we even get into the beta anyways?
Diggertron

Player: Diggertron
STEAM_0:1:21818952

Postby Flare on Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Go to http://www.playdota.com/ and put a message in the competition topic and hope you get selected.

Look for giveaways at various game sites.

Its a lottory system as the game is in closed beta, still adding in dota 1 heroes and testing everything ... will go free 2 play 2013 IIRC.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Return to Dota 2