de_pyramid_ukcs

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Re: de_pyramid_b1

Postby jihn on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 am

Lurky, i will sort some screenshots with what i believe astro is describing when im back later :)
"The rover batteries have 18kwh of juice. The oxygenator alone uses 44.1kwh per sol. See my problem?
You know what? "Kilowatt-hours per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name.
One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything.. um...I suck at this ... oh FK it. I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".
All told, the Big Three need 69.9pn, most of that going to the Oxygenator and Atmospheric regulator."
-Mark Watney 'The Martian'
If you want something done, select a busy person‚ for the other kind has no time. - based on Elbert Hubbard
jihn

Player: uSayItBstWhnUSAYntn@all
STEAM_0:0:159716

Postby n8K on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:41 pm

cool map
n8K
Recruit Member

Player: furioN^
STEAM_0:0:19004750

Postby astro on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Lurky,

I will take some screenshots of the boxes so i can show you exactly what i mean, and how they change things. Generally speaking Pyramid is a map that i don't think there are too many problems with the game play is quite good and there is not much camping. However there are some maps that do have a lot of camping and different versions might work well. For example Italytactic2 (not sure quite how its spelt) that works well some of the time but at other times during the busier periods it becomes quite campy. I personally would like to see dual versions of a few maps running though my main concern is the idea of replacing the old ones with the new ones. In saying that though there are some maps like Parth that are so laggy that a newer version that removed those issues would be more than welcome but not knowing much about map making could a remake be done to improve fps but keep the maps the same?

^
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: A*-
STEAM_0:1:9537458

Postby Azzy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Bombsite A:
The sides of the stairs on the bombsite are to high to walk over as steps. Not sure if this was the case on the original but trying to plant and you still get spammed by CT >.<
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby lockwyn on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 pm

astro wrote:Lurky,
I personally would like to see dual versions of a few maps running though my main concern is the idea of replacing the old ones with the new ones. In saying that though there are some maps like Parth that are so laggy that a newer version that removed those issues would be more than welcome but not knowing much about map making could a remake be done to improve fps but keep the maps the same?
^

Well said. In my opinion Parthenon do not need any huge mod changes and should be kept as close to the original as possible. I cant see why there is a need to replace allready great and popular maps with new versions. Pariah and Pyramid works fine. If we have to do this, could we have, for example, the modefied versions on #2 and keep them there if they get good feedback/ratings?
sitting at a distance, like vultures on the attack, I rise
Exceptional claims require exceptional evidence. -Christopher Hitchens
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: lockwyn level 43 ver. 1.39
STEAM_0:1:5617232

Postby argandahalf on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Just from what I've read on this thread so far: well done on the other map remakes especially parthenon which has no faults to speak of that I've seen.

On this one though although it looks better I agree with jihn's main point about the tunnel: you're right it needed changing, but the route to CT spawn was needed, without it it makes a quarter of the map totally pointless. May I suggest a simple change - create a third route at a suitable point going to the same place it did before, or thereabouts. As someone who likes maps with sneaky routes to avoid choke points, that would be a great way to open the map up and encourage alternative rush routes for both teams as well as making it easier for both teams to counter a strong rushing enemy.

I've seen chat about boxes here, though I don't think it's the same boxes I have an issue with: in the games I've played so far it's MUCH easier for the CTs to pin down the T's rush route left over the wall as they seem to spawn closer and have more vision (as the boxes for cover are shrunk), so unless the Ts smoke nade en masse the CTs are often pinning down the Ts much easier than they could before. If that style of play forced them to rush into the hut and go down the rope it would be ok, but too many games have forced the Ts to consider only rushing right or giving up and camping, not much fun.

Anyway I'm not on so much these days so quite frankly I'm always glad to see things mixed up when I do pop on, so good effort with the maps anyhoo. Also feel free to ignore my advice since although I've been playing these maps for years I tend to play almost exclusively knife only these days so my perspective on maps is different to the majority :P
~arithond

™ JM 10* CyBo®G^^ : ARITOD YOU MADER
Lord Isaac Hunt |ukcs| : YOU NEED AN ASBO ARITHOND
|13| iBlax!|UKCS| : ARIT U BIATDCH!
IrishKev666 : arithond i have a name for you that starts with a B and ends with a D can you guess it
Face Drop>.< : DIE IRISH DIE ARITHOND DIE EVERYBODY1
killmaster : [R] hate arithond
argandahalf

Player: arithond
STEAM_0:0:4937544

Postby BLaXRa\/eN[SweCS] on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 pm

First I hated it! But it grow on me.. And now I LOVE IT! :D.

But love old one too.. I want them both on! :D
GREEN SPAM!
Sponsored By Blax!
I am 56% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
BLaXRa\/eN[SweCS]
Home Member

Player: |Proud.Swede!| iBlax!
STEAM_0:1:6005557

Postby LurkyUK on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Alright guys this has been on the server for a while now so I think it's a good time to get more feedback now everyone knows the layout and timings. What needs to be done?

LurkyUK
Home Member

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Postby Uk_Legend on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi Lurky.

Love what you have done.

One thing i have noticed is that it is very easy for Ct's to rush left. T's no longer go right and attack the short cut.

What i would do is make this house somewhere people can get into. So people can shoot out in there. Would give the Ct's something to look out for instead of rushing straight through.

I hope you understand what i meant.

Thanks.

Uk_Legend
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Reboobler
STEAM_0:0:31049331

Postby LurkyUK on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I think it's because there are 3 CTs that spawn slightly closer to the bombsite on the left then in the original. I'll pull them back a tiny bit to see how that goes. I think it may also be because I made it easier for the CTs to get into that pyramid on their left. In the original the box height was awkward and you had to do a running jump and then duck to get on them which made it harder for people to get in there. I made the boxes lower so people could jump on them with no problems but that's had the downside of more CTs going that way. I would like to try and make that pyramid T territory again before going the route of adding more buildings but if it comes to it I'll keep your idea in mind so thanks :)

LurkyUK
Home Member

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Postby astro on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

There is an issue with the right side of the CT spawn area as well, they are able to get across bridge and flash up the t's before they can get there so they are unable to rush bridge room, with the gap in the boxes right by the t exit from spawn (as you go up the stairs and drop down, the boxes on the right there by the wall they used to be flush against the wall) this now means the ct can bounce flashes easily to totally wreck the t's. The end result is the map becomes even more ct sides, the open side of the house also is a disadvantage for t's as there are 3 areas where ct's can be to see there and their is no cover for the t there to effectively hold it.
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby astro on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am

playing this map again today made me feel even more strongly that this version just does not work for the t side, left side rush is impossible, the only option is right and straight into the site ... which is easier to take now however the left side of the map is shocking ... the spawn points mean ct can be in table room and across the bridge before the t side are even out of their spawn, it just really doesn't flow well at all, i can only suggest that spawn points need to be pulled back to allow the t side more time to assert some map control otherwise like today the map just turns into a shitty camp fest and that's totally not what pyramid is about. Constructive criticism, with those points fixed the other changes apart from those i noted before can work.
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby lockwyn on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Played it again today. Was very laggy for most of the players. Regulars telling me they liked the old one better, even that one also had lag issues. Maybe the server connection in general was bad? To get this map working again, the many changes made to it should be reversed. I suggest that the old classic one gets back on rotation. This new map with many changes plays totally different compared to the original and should be called "pyramid_tunnel" or something.
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Lionheart on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm

even that also had lag issues. Maybe the server connection in general was bad?

I believe these are server issues (new update seems to have created a bit of server lag but starting to settle now) rather than map issues - reported in admin section nevertheless :)

It's actually very easy to rename the map I believe - if the map name is concerning people. Nevertheless obviously "de_pyramid" & your new "de_pyramid_tunnel" cannot both be played on rotation at the same time so we would not encounter this issue on the server of having 2 similarly named maps live at the same time (for what is effectively the same map but with modifications).

& Thanks for the feedback astro - hopefully a new version will be out soon taking into account your points which are very constructive. Will try to get a time&date for a map test of this new version asap.
Lionheart
Home Member

Player: Lionheart
STEAM_0:0:6224179

Postby jihn on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm

*edited for more niceness*

Yes, all of peoples concerns are the map names. Thank you Lion.
"The rover batteries have 18kwh of juice. The oxygenator alone uses 44.1kwh per sol. See my problem?
You know what? "Kilowatt-hours per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name.
One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything.. um...I suck at this ... oh FK it. I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".
All told, the Big Three need 69.9pn, most of that going to the Oxygenator and Atmospheric regulator."
If you want something done, select a busy person‚ for the other kind has no time. - based on Elbert Hubbard
jihn

Postby Lionheart on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 pm

jihn wrote:*edited for more niceness*

Yes, all of peoples concerns are the map names. Thank you Lion.

This is what I am getting at.... There is no benefit from renaming the map as you have just pointed out. So lets stop clogging up the thread with unconstructive feedback and always strive for improvements as with any map :)
Lionheart
Home Member

Player: Lionheart
STEAM_0:0:6224179

Postby jihn on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Alright, thanks for clearing it up Lion. You'r a gem :)
jihn

Postby lockwyn on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Lionheart wrote:It's actually very easy to rename the map I believe - if the map name is concerning people.
Thats a new one for me :) I have never heard players being concerned about UKCS having different office maps/names on rotation. Dont think map names conserns people Lionheart, dont worry about that. Two pyramid maps on rotation sounds good to me, "de_pyramid" and "de_pyramid_tunnel". I think players will be able to separate the great old classic one from the new, I am sorry to say, less better one. As you can see from the feedback this map change is getting, it would be best to keep this classic map untouched. We have had different office maps on #1 over the years. Office_extended, office07, office_unlimited and even a xmas version i believe. The classic office map stayed untouched in all these cases, and its still played on all UKCS CS:S servers :)
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Re: de_pyramid_ukcs

Postby astro on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:36 am

+1 lockwyn
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby lockwyn on Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am

Jb's wrote:the current de_pyramid_css on rotation is perfect and to my knowledge there are no bugs/glitches that need fixing? It is one of the better maps on the server always bringing in more players when it is on.

Hopefully we will see this old classic map put back on ;)
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

PreviousNext

Return to Maps : CSS