de_pyramid_ukcs

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Re: de_pyramid_ukcs

Postby astro on Wed May 01, 2013 6:42 pm

it seems odd that the maps being edited are the ones that are popular on the server, why not edit the maps that are not popular ? There are some maps which are just really like "urgh" ... mansion, villa, inferno_orig, coldfusion, nuke, train, port etc .....

don't get me wrong i think it's fun to have new maps, but why the hell replace perfectly good maps that really don't have much wrong with them ?? /rant over :P
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: A*-
STEAM_0:1:9537458

Postby lockwyn on Wed May 01, 2013 10:03 pm

+1 astro
sitting at a distance, like vultures on the attack, I rise
Exceptional claims require exceptional evidence. -Christopher Hitchens
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: byleiptr
STEAM_0:1:5617232

Postby Nish on Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 pm

astro wrote:it seems odd that the maps being edited are the ones that are popular on the server, why not edit the maps that are not popular ? There are some maps which are just really like "urgh" ... mansion, villa, inferno_orig, coldfusion, nuke, train, port etc .....

don't get me wrong i think it's fun to have new maps, but why the hell replace perfectly good maps that really don't have much wrong with them ?? /rant over :P

I agree, it is kind of stupid to change the core gameplay mechanics of some of the most popular maps on the server.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby astro on Thu May 02, 2013 5:59 pm

it seems odd that two admins are voicing the same opinions, who actually is responsible now for the map rotation and what maps are on / off the list ? no doubt we will receive the typical response of "people voted the maps on" and i will uselessly point out that the map voting system is totally flawed and doesn't work (same with the rating system)

can we have some kind of official response on what the plans are for the original / edited maps and how much are input is actually valued ? it seems pointless for us to post our thoughts if they actually are not taken seriously, and considering two admins are also voicing the same concerns it leads me to the conclusion that the decision on maps is being left to a small minority.
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby astro on Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 pm

i have long argued that if you reversed the rating system with 2 = awful and 6 = excellent you would see a MASSIVE difference in ratings, i would love to see remakes of some of the maps that don't work that well but have a lot of potential but i loath to see some of my favorite maps changed for no apparent reason. If a map caused people to leave the server then edit away !
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby LurkyUK on Fri May 03, 2013 7:32 am

I understand that a few people don't like the changes but the map is being worked on. Valve's update has messed up the map editor and slowed things down a bit but there will be an updated version up by next weekend. I do read the feedback, and while it's gotten a little off topic lately, the feedback on how to improve the map is very helpful.
A rough list of changes are as follows:

Reverted most of the spawn points back to the original layout which means more Ts will spawn at the front by the arch in their spawn area

Blocked off the new stairwell by T spawn that helped the CTs get up onto the balcony too easily

Reworked the tunnels so that there is an entry point in the CT spawn pyramid, Bombsite A (where the entrance currently is) and the Ts building next to A behind the double doors.

In the room opposite the T balcony I have removed the 1st gap in the stairs, making it slightly quicker to get up there and helping them get to B quicker. I've also added cover for the Ts as they exit onto the wooden bridge so they have a better chance of getting to that room overlooking B.

I've improved the "graphics" a bit more with more detail, added decals to the map and more overhead cables etc

I've spent a long time on this map and I'm not going to just give up on it, so let's focus on making it better so ukcs has another personalised map in it's rotation :)

LurkyUK
Home Member

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Postby LurkyUK on Fri May 03, 2013 7:39 am

And as for your comment on why I chose pyramid and parthenon to edit, it was simply because those two ran like crap on my computer and I couldn't play when they came on. parthenon_ukcs is based on a modified version of the original parthenon map file but pyramid_css was so badly made that I just rebuilt everything from scratch, albeit keeping it to the same specs and dimensions for most things (I think I've explained the reason why a lot of the boxes are different sizes)

LurkyUK
Home Member

Postby lockwyn on Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Most of the regular players I have had a chat with, would like to see that this map stayed untouched. This is also confirmed by most the replies in this thread; changes thats been done to this classic map, are not wanted. As a map maker I am sure that you understand this and will listen to the players that have provided this feedback. When i have pointed this out to you, i think its a totally different thing doing a remake of a map to improve the fps etc. or even make another version of the map, as mentioned earlier.

lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby LurkyUK on Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Here's a little sneak peak at the next version.

http://files.ukcs.net/11739/de_pyramid_ ... erview.zip

The main change is to turn the tunnels into something more like the original, with an exit by the CT spawn.

The 2 boxes outside the table room are lower, keeping in touch with the original, so you can now get a better shot of CTs camping the market.

I've pushed some T spawns forward a bit as too many are spawning at the back and messing up timings (a huge part of what I think is making it CT sided) as well as moving about 3 CTs further back.

You can no longer camp behind the car at T spawn.

The new stair case by the balcony that I added is now blocked off as it made it too easy for the CTs to progress through that bit

Hopefully this version will be a lot more fun to play :) The hold up is figuring out how to get cubemaps to work since the update. The above link has no reflections so some objects will "look wrong" until they are done.

LurkyUK
Home Member

Postby lockwyn on Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 am

Will take a look at this the upcoming days. Thanks lurk!
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby LazyGun on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Maps ok, but not nearly as good as the original. Why is there a need to change the the maps that are nigh on perfect.

And if you really have to, keep them on server 1 where they won't know the difference.

Make new ones, change the bad ones, but leave the already great ones alone please.
LazyGun

Player: Pussy Galore
STEAM_0:0:13745738

Postby LazyGun on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Have to say the latest version of Pyramid seems very good.
LazyGun

Player: Pussy Galore
STEAM_0:0:13745738

Previous

Return to Maps : CSS