Judging the Maps Criteria

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Judging the Maps Criteria

Postby Dym on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Hello,

how do you think: what criteria are best for judging attractiveness of the Map for the ppl, besides the "vote map" option ?

My proposition:

1) Average duration of the round, generally: longer rounds, more boring it is.

plus

2) Average amount of ppl alive at end of the round, generally: more ppl alive at end, more boring it is.

So, if we have a round that took full time (2:30) and at the end of the round 90% of the players are alive, and most of the rounds for particular Map looks like that we can say the Map is not attractive for the Players.

In contrast, if most of the rounds are pretty quick and most Players are dead at end of it, it means lots of action = Map is attractive for the Players (de_desert_atrocity, de_piranesi for ex. - always lots of action there).

AFIK These two things can be measured automatically and bring additional hints for decisions which maps should be removed.

Last edited by Dym on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dym
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Dym
STEAM_0:0:3468041

Re: Judging the Maps cryteria

Postby Dym on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Ooops - error in the Thread Title, should be "citeria" not "cryteria", sorry :)

Dym
UKCS Sponsor

Re: Judging the Maps Criteria

Postby MotsMan on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 am

I'll lay down my initial concerns.

Proposition 1) Despite what you say can be the case I have also found some of the more enjoyable rounds last right up to the last few dying seconds of the round. When players realise they will have to rush instead of camp to win the round. When some maps cause a stalemate and noone is pushing at all these are maps that we would carefully consider if they are suitable for the servers. In the other situation where there happens to be one terrorist camping in spawn with the bomb dragging out the whole round I feel as if we have capable admins who can persuade the player to move ;) In addition some rounds are so short and end so quickly where a player not even see an enemy this is equally as boring.

Proposition 2) This generalisation also can be incorrect in situations where perhaps there are 2 t's and 2 ct's left and both teams are just camping in corners, this is just as boring if perhaps 15 t's and 15 ct's were camping in corners. In addition one team could be steam-rolling the other team, by your proposition a fair amount of players would be still alive and the rounds would be "good" and so the map "good". Infact it could mean that the map is heavily biased in one team's favour which is not favourable for the servers. Also it can be quite exciting spectating the last player and his struggle in planting the bomb against 4 or so ct's :)

Any change like this we would have to consider very carefully but I would presume we would stick with our current map rating system. Any coding changes piles on more work for TC which perhaps may not be of the greatest use of his time. I also feel that we have capable admins who can report any concerns with maps. Finally we always will consider any concerns put forward by players and have a forum thread where you can post your concerns or you can PM directly any concerns to me or LD & the senior team.

Thanks

Mads
Ex-CS:S Senior Admin & Ex-CS:S Map Testing & Events Manager
Thanks to Frying Dutchman for the avatar :)
MotsMan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Madsie
STEAM_0:0:12412399

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:06 am

Both propositions rely on the initial number of players on any given map, and how the teams play those maps.

I have seen maps that on 1 day play fast and everyone dies off rapidly, yet on other occasions are long and drawn out. It all depends on the type of player you have on the server at any one time :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Dym on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:46 pm

LD - that's true only for few maps, design of the map is heavy factor of how it is played.

For example on de_cbble, you have in 95% rounds bomb not planted and at the end most of the players are alive.

Such statistics, I belive easy to record, could provide good view especially for new maps, example of 2 new maps:

de_syksy - not very rushable but most rounds ends with bomb explosion and about minute to the end of the round, so it's good
de_corruption - terrible map, 3 bottlenecks, most rounds looks like that: both teams camp bottlenecks, who enters it dies, and again almost all rounds end with clock and half of the teams alive.

So when you have recorded few houndred rounds of map (average round time, percent of ppl alive at end) it tells you very precisely how ppl playing it.

I know some maps are "untouchable" even when playing them means almost always camping (de_dust2), but we can remove just few most boring maps in favor for better ones, it would be fantastic.

Edit:
Of course 5 vs 5 game is much more different than 25 vs 25, so recording should be only for large number of players.

Dym
UKCS Sponsor

Return to Maps : CSS