de_3rdstreet_ukcs

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

de_3rdstreet_ukcs

Postby LurkyUK on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 am

http://files.ukcs.net/11739/de_3rdstreet_ukcs.zip

Ok so this is a visual update to the ever so popular 3rdstreet. The original is dark and gloomy and very bare bones so I gave it more depth and optimised it a great deal so it will run better on the large server.

As everyone hates change please let me explain the 2 layout changes I made.

First off I revamped the sewer to not only look better but but I changed the level of the ground so it doesnt go as far down as it use to, meaning you no longer have to go down the drain in the subway, its now a door level with the platform. It was very hard for the CT to attack the subway as they had to go slowly one at a time up the ladder onto the train tracks which made it very risky and encouraged camping because no one wanted to attack. Now that it is changed to a door it will encourage the CTs to move forward and not camp the bombsite or the sewers.

The second change was to the sniper point the Ts have on the 2nd floor on the building to the right. I made access to it easier as you had to go up loads of stairs before and it was just an overly long journey.

One more note is that the CT spawn is much bigger now so you wont have 32 people spawning in that damn corridor as you had before.

Most of the other dimensions are the same so although the map may look bigger everything is still roughly the same size as before. Please let me know what you think because this is pretty much the final version.

Last edited by LurkyUK on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LurkyUK
Home Member

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Re: de_3rdstreet_ukcs_b1

Postby MotsMan on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Sounds good, we'll get this tested in the next map extravaganza. Could be a month till then though. Does it fix the issue with blocking the train with smoke grenades?
Ex-CS:S Senior Admin & Ex-CS:S Map Testing & Events Manager
Thanks to Frying Dutchman for the avatar :)
MotsMan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Madsie
STEAM_0:0:12412399

Postby LurkyUK on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

I believe someone already fixed that with de_3rdstreet_fix? I made this map off the basis of that version. I didn't think to check actually, makes me look professional lol

LurkyUK
Home Member

Postby LurkyUK on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am

And don't worry about the time I'm going away on holiday next week and I'm working like crazy to make up the days I need off so I'm busy anyway. Hopefully I'll have de_pyramid done by then as well and all 5 maps can be tested.

LurkyUK
Home Member

Postby LurkyUK on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:25 am

So any chance of giving this a test? I'm pretty sure people will prefer this to the dull looking original

LurkyUK
Home Member

Postby A Killer Potato on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey, just had a quick run around and I have a few comments.

There's a lesser known route on the current 3rd street that can be really useful to catch T campers off guard. On the _ukcs verion the balconies are too high to jump to (without a boost) and prevents this. With the new layout its not going to be as useful but it would still be fairly effective. It also provides another route off the connecting roof instead of having to jump down.

ImageImageImage

You can boost out of the map here (balconies between the buildings T side). By jumping on someones head you can jump on the roof. You can then jump over to another roof and then run around the roofs around the top of the map.

This is a bug on the current version too, I only found out about it after releasing _fix :oops:. You can drop guns/the bomb down over the railing and into the inaccessible area below. It's on the T roof next to spawn (up the ladder in the graveyard).

A minor issue, there aren't any clip brushes over the doorways in the room below CT spawn. All the other doors are clipped except these, allowing people to get stuck in them.

The last one is more of a personal thing than a bug, but in the current version you can (with a well timed jump and air-strafing) jump from platform to platform without dropping down on to the rails. If you could lower the platform/raise the roof by like 12 units or so, it'd make me very happy. :D

Overall, the lighting feels a bit off to me. There isn't much difference in brightness between interiors and the natural light outside, and lights don't seem to emit light as shown.

I'd personally only like to see this map added to UKCS#1. The map caters to slower game play, more campers etc. On UKCS#2, with a lower player count and generally a different atmosphere I think the current 3rdstreet plays fine, and is one of my favourite maps on the rotation.
That being said, like your other maps, this one looks pretty good. :D
I am 47% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

Compile log wrote:Windows gave the error message:
"The operation completed successfully."
A Killer Potato
Home Member

Player: Espurr
STEAM_0:1:10838190

Postby LurkyUK on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks a lot for checking it out and going into so much detail for your feedback.

I've clipped off that roof access that you've spotted. It's hard to notice things like that when you're testing the map alone so I appreciate the heads up.

I did know that you can use the balconies and I didn't make them higher to put them out of reach on purpose. What I did was lower that little roof bit next to it because snipers on the CT bridge bit by their spawn could shoot the Ts on the roof bit by the elevator as you could see each others heads. I lowered it so that you can see each others bodies more to make it a fairer fight and not just easy pickings for the snipers. I will see what I can do about allowing people to jump onto the balconies again so thanks for that :)

Jumping from one platform to the other should still be on? I made this map off the 3rdstreet_fix file and I don't recall adjusting the roof or floor dimensions in the subway. I guess I could lower the floor and simply put an extra step in on the escalator to make the jump easier. I'm all about making the map flow well and not hold people up anywhere so jumping over the rails could be good for speeding up movement down there.

I'll play around with the lighting but I like the colours the sun has on the buildings etc around the playground bit so I'll probably keep the sun the same. I'll see what I can do with the indoor lighting though. Those doors are now clipped off too in the CT spawn :)

I'm not sure I agree with you about it not being on server 2 though. The map is almost the same layout wise as the original so I don't see the need in keeping the original around. Hopefully a playtest can be arranged as this, and my other 3 maps, have been ready for a few months now just waiting

LurkyUK
Home Member

Postby Synaphix on Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 am

Just bumping this, is it possible to get the final version on #2? The radar would be great as a lot of the time players are team killing by accident unable to see where others are properly which then results in raging. This is a very popular map and I think the final version would be more than welcomed and appreciated by the usual lot on #2 and newcomers.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Player: Rob
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Return to Maps : CSS