*feedback* de_parthenon UKCS

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Re: *feedback* de_parthenon UKCS

Postby cloune on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi,

The original dimensions of the parthenon temple are the real life ones. It should feel... gigantic. My goal doing this map (with very amateurish mapping skills) were:

1) Be able to do all the things I liked to do in cs. Camp, rush, roam, fool, trick. (I was a scout, deagle player)

2) Be able to do team plays that make sense and "mind-play" the other team.

3) Get as many weapons "relevant" as possible.

4) Give an asymetric and balanced gameplay.

5) Get to walk in the Parthenon.

I did a lot of timing test as were players would meet in different scenarios.

I sucked at everything computer. frame rate etc.

Maybe one day ill have time to reinstall cs and play the new versions. It looks amazing. I cant believe it is still played. Thank you for brigning back memories. And forgive my awful english typing

cloune
Recruit Member

Postby LurkyUK on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am

I think you pretty much nailed all your goals :) Yours is incredibly popular map on this server and very fun to play. The only reason I rebuilt it was for the frame rate issue and maybe I did a bit too much tinkering with it along the way.

As for the inside of the Parthenon where did you get the floor plans from? I understand it's meant to feel huge but I just get a weird feeling that on the inside of it that things are out of proportion. If it had two floors on the inside I think it would feel ok. I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I suffer a bit from Alice in Wonderland syndrome (lol I know) and If I play those rat maps or things are too out of proportion I get headaches and I have a sort of hypnotic effect where I just stare at one point of the screen and don't see everything around me (so I get shot). It's a weird and very specific complaint but, yeah, that's why I don't like textures being stretched too much and things like that in maps.

Out of curiosity do you have any other maps cloune? And how long did parthenon take you to make?

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Postby cloune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I dont remember exactly where I got the floor plans but they are easily obtainable on the web

If you make a search for parthenon and "proportions" you will be astonished by the perfection of this construction. Actually this building was made to host an immense Athena statue made of ivory and gold. you can also easily find reproduction of this statue on the net. I think there was several sketches made from it before it was gone ( ivory and gold...) . On some versions of de-parthenon I tried different ways to include the statues including modeling and having a gigantic texture of it right behind Bombsite B. The texture worked very well and gave the ultimate effect when entering the temple. this and the blue lighting and the small water pool ( is it still there? ) functionned well.

At some point I added a huge tree on the left side of ct spawn and a lot of textures of statues derived from pictures of the actual site. the back wall was textured with gigantic women/ statues/ pillars that gave dramatic effect. there was also another statue in the room top right of the t spawn. You could jump to the window of this room from the balcony in front of T spawn if you calculated your jump well. I calculated the distance exactly for that. There was several bombing scenarios possible . 2 direct rush and plant to each bombsite. By rushing from around the main temple you force ct to cover there and after a few rounds it oppened possibilities. Smoke big temple snipers and move when ct forces divide etc.

I started another map based on the Paris opera (back stage, dungeon, bllustrade, main hall, lot of drama ) but I quit playing for different reasons .

Its the best game I ever played.

cloune
Recruit Member

Postby LurkyUK on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Alright guys this has been on the server for a while now so I think it's a good time to get more feedback now everyone knows the layout and timings. What needs to be done?

At the moment the only two things that I think need changing are making the entrance to the Parthenon higher and whether or not to keep the new boxes to the balcony

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Postby LazyGun on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Simple, bring back the original.
LazyGun

Player: Pussy Galore
STEAM_0:0:13745738

Previous

Return to Maps : CSS