Which maps and When

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Which maps and When

Postby Little_Devil on Wed May 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Explanation, which maps would you want to see on at certain times of the day, on which server and why. These can be maps currently played or indeed any map you have seen on UKCS.

This is so that we can see the types of map that players would like at the times they play. Don't forget to put down the inverse of this as well. If you don't think a map is suitable for a particular time of day, say so, and explain why.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Which maps and When

Postby Nish on Thu May 30, 2013 7:13 am

I'd want de_xcom to be a weekend special on #2.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Nish
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby MrsRapidByte on Fri May 31, 2013 12:45 am

Oh boys do I have a few map ideas to add :geeky:

All map suggestions are for server 4. I love server 4 on a Wednesday and Sunday night, but I have noticed quite a few maps tend to empty the server, which is no fun :(
I think one of the issues is people tend to spam option 1 or 2 during maps votes to get the menu away so rtv option on server 4 would be awesome as just now we tend to reply on admins coming on to push through another vote so we can get a more popular map like soccer or volleyball, which tend to be more crowd drawers.

Sever 4 I personally remember as being for fun maps, as well as classic and new maps, which tended to have higher number of players. I know Lionheart is running a special event on server 1 with all the old classics we no longer get to play. So what if some of those maps found there way onto server 4??? The more popular ones, for me personally I would love to see de_nuke, de_vagas_lite and not sure of the proper name but pretty sure its purple (something tells me Elmo might know) something oh and dolls and lost temple the original version with the waterfall :p it used to be on server 2 and i still believe it is a favorite amongest the players.

MrsRapidByte
Home Member

Player: Lady Luck
STEAM_0:0:5400643

Postby astro on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Maps: UKCS versions

I would like a 50 / 50 split of UKCS and default maps to on the server at all points of the day, not altering the current early morning rotation. I like the new versions but i also love the original versions and i feel that there needs to be a discussion on the reasons why the default maps are being removed and replaced without any community discussion. Some of the defaults are still on rotation but they are at times of the day that most of us regulars are not on.
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: A*-
STEAM_0:1:9537458

Postby astro on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm

anyone taking note of this thread ?
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Synaphix on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Yes but more feedback would be good and decisions have to be reviewed, some new things have been added and/or some removed too.
No. I am not a nice man. It's important that you understand that. It's going to save you a great deal of time and effort. There is not a warmer, kinder me waiting to be coaxed out into the light. I am acerbic. I can be cruel. It's who I am. Right to the bottom. I'm neither proud of this, nor ashamed of it. It simply is. And in my work, my nature has been an advantage far more often than it has been a hindrance. I'm not gonna change.

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Player: Rob
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:30 pm

astro wrote:anyone taking note of this thread ?

I wouldn't have asked the question if I was not prepared to take notes :P

Not sure why you think default maps are always going to be good, since UKCS has always changed maps from the default to modified ones for a period of time. Many default maps are actually more laggy than the newer versions, which is one reason why they are changed, other maps are just so used to being played, that people become bored of them.

Lets take de_inferno as an example, the original one we had was superceded by a Valve release of a newer map. Players moaned and groaned that the old one was better and we changed the map back (by giving it a different name) and removed the Valve version, because players said they hated it. Wonder of wonders, the old version became less popular after a while of adding newer maps, and we had players asking why the Valve version was not on. :roll:

Not sure if you are actually aware of the number of maps that are available for map votes, but making a 50/50 split would not be much use either. Whenever we have had both versions of a map on, there have been times when one is voted straight after another, and you get moans of, "we have only just played this" :cry:
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby astro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:39 pm

I totally support map revamps that fix fps issues and any major glitches that have become apparent. I just feel that the maps being targeted for remakes are the most popular ones which in some cases is also the most laggy ones, however maps like pariah and pyramid had no fps issues and the remakes have fundamentally changed the way in which the maps play and in my personal opinion i prefer the originals. For example a remake of inferno would be brilliant, italy_tactic is also awesome and some of the other remakes are also really good.

i can understand the issue of maps being voted on one after the other, this happens a lot with the office combination. Could it not be possible to nominate a few maps each month to go on rotation ? this could be done by a forum vote and people could then suggest a map to be voted on etc ... as i would enjoy having the original pyramid back on for a week or so and restricting this to being on for a week would mean that there would be a constant stream of fresh maps each week. You could introduce some of the new "tester" maps each week as well for the next phase of testing.

As with all things, if the community believe the changes are better then its worth going with it, but it seems very few people actively voice their opinions on the forum anymore and the reaction on the server is not as positive as on the forums !
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Little_Devil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:27 pm

I am not averse to putting/changing a number of guest maps each month, from suggestions by forum members
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby astro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

any chance of touching on the issue of editing perfectly "ok" maps ? Is this a community based decision or a decision based on the principle of "freshening things up" ... just a bit of clarification wouldn't go amiss.

for example the edit to parthe was good, it made it a bit better and didnt change the gameplay that much, the edit to pyramid caused a complete way in which the map was played forcing the t team to go right every round and with little chance of getting to the table room, there is plenty of opportunity for t to camp that side out now but it forces only one viable route to the bombsite, i personally never had fps issues with the maps and wasn't aware of many issues with camping.

i think its unfortunate that more of the regulars do not check out the forums and post their views but i feel that it is important to note that most only have gripes with a few of the map changes and overall everyone enjoys new maps and a fresh map cycle. However there are certain maps that in my eyes don't need changing, almost changing them because they are popular. I would love to see maps like Aztec, Nuke, Port and Cold fusion receive edits to make them viable for ukcs but don't quite understand the criteria on which maps are edited and the reasons why.
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Little_Devil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:12 pm

I don't know of any time in the past where modifying a map has been a community based decision. :?
Map makers constantly modify maps without letting us know, and indeed why should they ?

We have changed many maps in the past that have been modified, with no one taking a blind bit of notice, unless the change has been so bad, that the map is still not playable despite improvements made.

Maps that are modified are put on the servers for testing with a small number of select players, to report such things as fps issues, glitches or any major bugs or crashes. The maps are then tested on a live server to get player feedback as you know. This gives us an indicator as to what people think of the map, a majority view taking precedent over any minor gripes. I tend to think where maps are changed it affects the older generation of players more, because they are used to the old version, and suddenly loose out on preferred spots on the map.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby LurkyUK on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 am

Yeah it's not a community based decision which maps I chose to do (yet). Parth, Pyramid and Nioaroon simply ran like crap on my computer so I went about fixing that and I was just lucky that LD gave me the chance to put them on the sever. de_pariah I chose to do because I was never happy with the original map and I wanted to "finish" it. I am very happy with the results and I can't wait for the b6 version to be put up :) (same for exile I thought it could be better so I made the bomb version)

de_pyramid I have stated before that I'm aware it plays differently and I think it was down to Terrorist spawn positions being too far back, which allowed the CTs to enter the table room a bit too soon timing wise and change the gameplay. I have fixed that and a few other little exploits people were using and it went down well when it was tested last week. That should be up on the server soon so please try that out for a couple of weeks astro and see how you like it. Constructive feedback is very welcome, you can tell me if there's any bit that plays too differently or something I have maybe taken out by mistake that has too much of a affect. My aim isn't to change the flow of the map so if I really can't recreate the same feel then I can put the old spawn points back and all the barrels and old tunnels if need be.

You mentioned about community, well I started a de_cbble extension which people could have input in and only azzy bothered to come up with suggestions. I would love for more people to give input with everything that I'm working on but it seems to just turn into moaning rather then helping. I'm not going to do any more to any maps on the server, but if this de_cbble_ukcs goes well I'll let you guys decide on another unplayed valve map that I can make 64 player friendly if you're not sick of my maps already :)

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Return to Maps : CSS