de_courthouse

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

de_courthouse

Postby LurkyUK on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 pm

It was mentioned in another thread about the vent spamming from the CT side. They shoot a certain spot and are pretty much guaranteed to hit a few Ts trying to get into the vents. Lion asked about the practicality of fixing that and it is easy if you guys want that? Obviously removing the error sign in the prison would be a given, as well as moving that CT spawn that blocks the door to the prison if the guy is afk or just slow at buying as you can't get around him.

There are also a few other niggles with the map that "fixing" might prove controversial but I'll suggest them anyway. None of them are layout changes

The trolly in the alleyway is always pushed into sewer exit so I would suggest removing it to help the Ts on this CT sided map.
Remove the bath tube in the Ts hotel hallway that someone will always shoot for a laugh and block everyone behind them.
There are a few crates and boxes in the alleyway that are solid in this map and not others so players walk into them thinking they can, and it also blocks the ally. Again I would suggest making them non solid or removal.
I personally would lighten up the sewers and/or vents. I find it really hard to make out players in the dark and I don't think it does the game any good. Giving the sewer walls a lighter concrete texture would fix that.

So yeah just let me know if any of this is worth doing (I don't use the vents because they are too dark so it doesn't really bother me)

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Player: Bad Poet
STEAM_0:0:6490480

Re: de_courthouse

Postby Raving Nightmare on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:18 pm

I think the most urgent thing to do now is fixing the vent. Other than that, I like your ideas.

Raving Nightmare
Recruit Member

Player: Raving
STEAM_0:0:15520606

Postby lockwyn on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am

Maybe do something more out of the vent system. Make it easier for t's to use it, make more vents and maybe combine it with the vent just outside ct spawn.
sitting at a distance, like vultures on the attack, I rise
Exceptional claims require exceptional evidence. -Christopher Hitchens
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: lockwyn level 43 ver. 1.39
STEAM_0:1:5617232

Postby Who Am I? on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am

I like your ideas Lurky, though it has been fun moving around the tub. As lockwyn suggested, I think this map is in need of a new passage of any sort.

I'd say that the sewer is good as it is, it's not that dark right? but that vent is horrible, you only see names pop up unless you have the flashlight on.
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Player: wa1gasm
STEAM_0:0:12807451

Postby Lionheart on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am

I agree with making the vent a little lighter.

It is extremely hard for TS to push into the vent since once you start to crouch into it, you move extremely slowly at 1st - so the CT opens fire from inside the vent before you can even see him.
I wonder whether if the entrance height of the vent for the TS was a little higher, you could run&jump into it and attack the CTs inside more aggressively. Would be nice to see TS winning that vent sometimes :) At the moment, you are lucky if you make it to the ladder inside the vent system alive, let alone attack the CTs.

Obviously that would also need the CTs shooting through the wall (from the middle of the courtroom) into the vent area fixed as well.
Lionheart
Home Member

Player: Lionheart
STEAM_0:0:6224179

Postby LurkyUK on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:40 am

I was thinking the same thing Lion. Maybe make those vents taller like de_pariah_ukcs so you can enter standing up, causing more of a surprise?

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Postby astro on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:05 pm

there us a remake of this that was always quite nice, could be something to look at ... i know it was on ukcs at one point a long time ago
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: A*-
STEAM_0:1:9537458

Postby LurkyUK on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Ok I guess this is a showcase of things that could be better/different.

http://files.ukcs.net/11739/de_courthouse_a1.zip

Off the top of my head some of the things I'd like your opinions on are:

Bigger courtroom. I think it looks so much better this size and It'll mean more space for the CTs at the start.
Lighter sewers.
More detailed alleyway buildings.
New entrance into prison (the prison looks very rough with nodraw on a few bits so just ignore that)
New shortcut for Ts from alley sniper window back to spawn, and hole in the wall to make it slightly faster too.
Rain lol
Lit up vents.

I'm sure there's more things that you will notice. There's lots of bugs (lamp posts didn't render for some reason) but this is just to give you ideas on visual changes that could possibly be done.

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:46 pm

astro wrote:there us a remake of this that was always quite nice, could be something to look at ... i know it was on ukcs at one point a long time ago

Yes there is, but players did not like it in general because it did not fix the primary vent problem, when T's rushed to the right, CT could still be waiting inside the vent which barred the use of it. Both CT and T could spam shoot the walls, but that was a minor problem in comparison to the uselessness of that vent in general. If 1 or 2 T actually made it into the vent and up the ladder, it would give an advantage similar to roof walkers on other maps, should just be removed.
When rushing to the left it gave more balanced game play.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Who Am I? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Some screenshots for those who don't want to play the map by themselves :)

LurkyUK wrote:Bigger courtroom. I think it looks so much better this size and It'll mean more space for the CTs at the start.

I couldn't plant the bomb at the courtroom, which should be possible right? I didn't get the feeling it was much roomier that usual, but I don't remember how it was before. It is roomy enough though, that's for sure.

LurkyUK wrote:Lighter sewers.

It looks good to me, perhaps a bit on the too bright side if you ask me, but that's because I'm so used to the darkness of the map.

LurkyUK wrote:More detailed alleyway buildings.

Seems unnecessary to me, was it just to spice it up a bit? I mean this won't affect the gaming experience that much, even though it may look nice. I mostly mean the rooms that you can see into. The actual alley seems to be better lit.

LurkyUK wrote:New entrance into prison (the prison looks very rough with nodraw on a few bits so just ignore that)

This is something I really like, more vents that is. The vent splits into two parts at the jail, so there is an exit and an entrance sort of. Love it, Lurky.

LurkyUK wrote:New shortcut for Ts from alley sniper window back to spawn, and hole in the wall to make it slightly faster too.
Rain lol

The rain doesn't matter, but I really like what you've done with the extra route, it will help the terrorists rotate back if needed. I tried everything I could to make my way up there from T spawn, but it seems you've prevented that :)
ImageImage

LurkyUK wrote:Lit up vents.

This goes for all the vents, it really helps, if you can't see in them now you are blind. Eat more carrots (hehe).

Additional notes: the vent glitch seems to be fixed. The ladder is still there though, that path should maybe be removed. An idea would be to make another route to the courtroom, when turning right after going into the courthouse from T spawn. The barrels and objects that you could block the sewer openings with are good (probably good).

All in all, it is a definite improvement I'd say. Good work Lurky.
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby LurkyUK on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for taking the time to download it and check it out :) I didn't post screenshots intentionally because I don't want the opinions of people who are too lazy to download it and try it but would judge it based on a picture :p

How come the water in the sewers is black in your screen shot? do you have dx8? It's meant to be see through and it reflects the white walls and lights.

Yeah the more detailed buildings are just there to look better and won't affect game play at all, but it'll make the make look a higher quality.

I'm glad you like the other changes. They can be modified/removed based on what the community like about them. I have a few things on my "to do" list before I start on this but I'll get there and hopefully we can make this map more suited to UKCS

LurkyUK
Map Tester

Postby Who Am I? on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 am

That's funny, cause I thought the same but I uploaded the screenshots because people will be too lazy to check it out. Of course it would have been better if people did check it out themselves though. Perhaps this will make people want to try it in some magical way?

I have some water commands in my autoexec, probably one of those then. I actually don't know. I should remove those, it's not like I need to up my fps.

Hopefully we'll see this on the servers soon then :)
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Return to Maps : CSS