Standard maps server

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Standard maps server

Postby Marmot on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi,

Registered today for this particular question. Had a short discussion with players in-game today about the lack of standard maps rotation server. Many agreed. I've been playing CSS for 10 years now and I am still looking to play default CSS maps rather than custom ones, but very unfortunately there are no UK servers that would offer that luxury. Im sure there are enough player who would love and regularly play on such server.
I think the best preset for fun and at the same time quite competitive public game is:

20-30 players max
ability to change map via RTV with at least 80% of votes
ability to voteban with 80% of votes
Standard map rotation at about 20-30 minutes per maps and 2 minute rounds.

For example #2 is mostly empty during the day and very often during evening time as well, so basically server is not worth paying for if it's not being used. If possible would you consider, as a test, for a period of maybe one week convert #2 into standard maps rotational server with 20-30 player slots. Just to see how it goes. I believe I have support in this petition if you like, to enjoy the core of what CSS is.

If there are players who support this idea please show your support in comments.

Thanks

PS I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread so could you please move it accordingly if that's the case.

Marmot
Recruit Member

Player: Marmot
STEAM_0:1:10150042

Re: Standard maps server

Postby Synaphix on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I'll forward this on to our Exec to respond but I personally do not see it happening and as an active #2 player over the years I'd rather it be left untouched.

I'll add more input when I have a moment later, but will forward this now, thanks!
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby hagz on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree with the OP here regular vanilla maps are preferable to me rather than custom maps
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Synaphix on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:44 pm

I've proposed that daytime on #2 has a standard map rotation (no RTV involved is how I would want it due to server load from people spamming RTV and problems like this but with the current player limit) and then in the evening a mix or standard/regular maps on #2 for the players who do use #2.

What do you think of that as otherwise I would be against turning #2 to a full standard map server.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby Marmot on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Synaphix wrote:I've proposed that daytime on #2 has a standard map rotation (no RTV involved is how I would want it due to server load from people spamming RTV and problems like this but with the current player limit) and then in the evening a mix or standard/regular maps on #2 for the players who do use #2.

What do you think of that as otherwise I would be against turning #2 to a full standard map server.

Thanks for acknowledging the interest first of all. I think it would be a great step forward and would be very happy if what you have proposed took place.
About your concern regarding the RTV you could make it so that it requires at least 90% of players in order to go through. That would mostly solve the spamming problem as it would require the absolute majority of players to want the map change. The reason I think it is essential to have an option to change map is due to the fact that some maps are "action killers" more than others and that would help with keeping the server populated.
If it turned out to raise an interest in large audience, it time, maybe it is possible that UKCS would be able to dedicate a separate server for Standard maps with the player limit I proposed.
The reason I was calling for roughly ~24 players is, that that way you have more freedom to be creative in the match. When there are 62 players playing on a map its really down to quantity and less quality. I hope you understand what I mean.

Nevertheless, what you proposed would be a very good step in direction of players who really enjoy playing default maps.

Thanks again.

Marmot
Recruit Member

Postby Synaphix on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:16 pm

I've spoken to the Exec and all feedback is welcome as well as ideas. The Admin team as you can see would like to trial it too and I think it would be a good idea but regulars may oppose to this which is why I suggested the evening times to be a mix of current/standard maps as I know some do prefer the original versions we have running.

As far as RTV goes you will need the Exec to give his view on this as I'm unsure of our limits based on our back-end set-up but if it was doable then I'm sure he could trial it and as long as its not abused then it could stay as a feature.

It would be too early to discuss a server configured for this only but if it does work out then of course it could be a way forward and allow us to evolve. You will however, have to keep #2 at the current limit no doubt due to the activity it does receive when full. The 60 or so limit is what #1 hosts and maps edited to account for this so what we have now may not be too much of an issue.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby Marmot on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:31 pm

That's great! :cheers: I can't wait for the trials to begin. Please let us know once it does. I agree with you on #1 server for being what it is and it is also enjoyable but in a different way. Same goes for server #2.
It's just that the whole point was to show you our concern about the lack of availability to standard maps and that other type of gameplay that comes with default maps and limited amount of players. However I think it will still be great if this testing goes live on server #2 with current 46 slots on it, as it is not guaranteed that it would be full most of the time.

Thanks again, keep us posted! :)

Marmot
Recruit Member

Postby Synaphix on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm

We will need a bit of time for this and to discuss it still but will keep you updated - thanks!
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby MrsRapidByte on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Marmot wrote:For example #2 is mostly empty during the day and very often during evening time as well

Yes during the day it is empty however I do not think it is empty that often during the evening :roll: Quite a few regulars are on #2 from early evening until midnight and while it might not be as full as Server #1 it does have a more regular core of players. The only nights #2 lacks players is on a Wednesday and Sunday night when some regulars tend to play on #4 instead.

During the day vanilla maps on #2 sure however, do it at night and you will kill off #2. Classic map event on #4 showed that people play classic maps for a little bit but quickly get bored!

What time of day would the vanilla maps end :?: and would this just be during the week or 7 days a week? if #1 goes down I cannot see people being happy at the weekend stuck on all classic maps on #2 until #1 comes back up.

MrsRapidByte
Home Member

Player: Lady Luck
STEAM_0:0:5400643

Postby BLaXRa\/eN[SweCS] on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm

H*ll no! Don't touch our UKCS#2! We like it as it is!
GREEN SPAM!
Sponsored By Blax!
I am 56% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
BLaXRa\/eN[SweCS]
Home Member

Player: |Proud.Swede!| iBlax!
STEAM_0:1:6005557

Postby zebracat on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Pretty much agree with what rapid has to say, i feel pretty happy with the rotation the way it is right now for the maps on 2 and if i wanted to play on a classic map then there are plenty of servers that host them that i could go on.

zebracat

Player: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_Cal_ʕ•
STEAM_0:1:18001170

Postby BLaXRa\/eN[SweCS] on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:46 pm

zebracat wrote:Pretty much agree with what rapid has to say, i feel pretty happy with the rotation the way it is right now for the maps on 2 and if i wanted to play on a classic map then there are plenty of servers that host them that i could go on.

Well said you there! :D
GREEN SPAM!
Sponsored By Blax!
I am 56% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
BLaXRa\/eN[SweCS]
Home Member

Player: |Proud.Swede!| iBlax!
STEAM_0:1:6005557

Postby Synaphix on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:35 pm

We will be trialing #2 with morning standard map rotation and then peak time that #2 usually starts will switch back to what it is rotation wise - does not hurt it at all as it is currently unused during the morning/earrrrly afternoon anyway. If it works then we can trial its own server away from #2.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby irishkev666 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 pm

How do. Where could you start with this ?? Maybe at the start . . I find that server two is the fun server off all that ukcs has running, get on have a laugh always come off with a buzz. A lot of old school players have moved on to other games or other things but still I think its the home of the enjoyment in the game of css. With the idea of bringing in rock the vote I think is bad as i used to play other server with that in play and you just find you get a gang or a crew of players playing there own fav maps! Played 1 and 3 (but don't read that bit about 3 ) and i find playing one map all the time is boring and with one because their are to many rank heroes (but it is part of the game to fair) you cant rush that much ! [yes i know i have a tent but very rarely use it]. I would like to think if there was to be a change in the way a map is played for rotation of maps maybe a new server would be the best way forward. There are many servers out in the world of steam that play just your post but they are empty or never full. :scratch:

IrishKev666

irishkev666
UKCS Sponsor

Player: IrishKev666
STEAM_0:1:11082574

Postby MrsRapidByte on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Synaphix wrote:We will be trialing #2 with morning standard map rotation and then peak time that #2 usually starts will switch back to what it is rotation wise - does not hurt it at all as it is currently unused during the morning/earrrrly afternoon anyway. If it works then we can trial its own server away from #2.

what time exactly??? and what about weekends? would be nice to know in advance if it is so we can go elsewhere.

MrsRapidByte
Home Member

Postby Synaphix on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:51 pm

As I have said, the server will stay as it is with the standard maps during the day time when none of you regulars on #2 play at time which has no impact on yourselves. Feedback is welcome of course but we are not going to edit what you currently have, just give it a use for the morning time slot as a 'trial'.

And @ Rapid, it has not been discussed yet, just that a trial will be taken and as an alternate I suggested the morning so even if its Mon-Fri that does not effect the weekends and it won't effect the night time as it is now either, just making a use for it in the mornings so its not empty.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby MrsRapidByte on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 pm

I don't get it one person says about changing and you's hope on it why not have posters up asking what people want get them involved in the forum - classic maps isnt the only thing that could be done what about fun maps or doing one classic one custom one fun loads that could be done to get people more involved in the forum or to get them on #2 more or even starting up too hardly ever see people coming on to get #2 going who joins an empty server...

MrsRapidByte
Home Member

Postby Synaphix on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Well this has not been a recent thing and I am just going by what has been discussed as it was thought of being the op's post. It is a trial and if it does not work then other stuff can be trialed too. There had been feedback before asking for this too and a trial does not have to be long but something to fill it during the morning is worth a try whatever it is.

I'm off for now so continue with the feedback.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby Synaphix on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:26 pm

The 'trial' plan would be something like below.

- During the mornings on #2 standard map rotation which reverts back to the current setup during a time that regulars start to fill it
- Times are to be decided for this trial
- Days are to be decided, weekends will probably not have any alteration due to people not being at school/college/work on weekends so will fill it earlier
- Monday to Friday will most likely hold this trial for a 2 week period roughly to see how it fairs and if anything comes from it then more discussions for what we could do to please everyone could take place
- RTV will NOT be on during this trial and doubtful perhaps for afterwards as well so it will continue with the current way our voting works

The above will most likely be trialed for two weeks as mentioned, it does not change anything to the current format of the server other than morning could potentially find players during the week and maps will still be added/removed based on feedback from the #2 regulars.

If this does not work, it will of course just revert back to how it is and another trial based on other ideas to fill the morning slots be trialed. I believe this is fair and as the morning does not generally see anyone but AFK's unless #1 is down then it won't hurt anything currently for those two weeks or so to gather feedback.

The above is NOT SET IN STONE and just a general idea we are tinkering with at the moment and any thoughts we have based on feedback will be taken into account and another solution trialed based on that.

I'm away for the weekend now, so I hope the above makes no sense as it hurts nothing at the moment and if implemented it will be a short trial but enough to gather feedback from. I'll check back Monday.

Also...

Synaphix wrote:We will need a bit of time for this and to discuss it still but will keep you updated - thanks!

It is not final and open for discussion, it is just something we are toying with, I've not said it will go ahead but that I would like to trial it so general ideas for the morning too is welcome but standard maps may be trialed to see if that has any interest on filling a server which could be outside of #2 with the above being the general idea so far.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Postby Lionheart on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Fascinating idea, albeit with flaws.

The trial period would occur at the quietest period of each day. Therefore how can you assess demand for the server because all (other UKCS) servers are quiet anyway. Unless you anticipate many more new people joining; although I think all CSS servers overall are quieter at that time anyway.
Whilst UKCS is an international community, it has a loyal UK following (partly as it is U.K.C.S ;) ) so most UK players aren't going to be playing at these times anyway; those whom make up a considerable proportion of the UKCS player base.

I don't think it will be particularly popular, but equally I don't know whether it would be popular if it was on at peak times i.e. evenings - although this trial wont tell you that. And if you trial over evenings on #2, those players are going to get rather annoyed :P

Why not just trial it on #4 on days that #4 is not usually up - otherwise why not trial it on #5 24/7 for 2 weeks.
Lionheart
Home Member

Player: Lionheart
STEAM_0:0:6224179

Next

Return to Maps : CSS