Server #1 Map Rotation Explanation and Requests

CSS Map Discussion (Not for map development, see other forum)

Server #1 Map Rotation Explanation and Requests

Postby Synaphix on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:10 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank you for the constant feedback on maps we have in rotation, any bugs and how the maps play, we appreciate this and would also like to share a few words in regards to this. First of all, there is are multiple ways we look at a map to see if it is suitable for the server, this includes but is not limited to the following:

• Size of the map
  • Type of map
  • If the test server handles it with few players
  • Using a team to find bugs within the map
  • If minor bugs that are not too serious, we do a test to see how it runs on half-to-full server
  • Receive, take note and explore possibilities of players feedback
  • Adjust or fix the map if possible and this cannot be done without the authors permission

Note: We generally keep this to ourselves but it is common sense on some of the things we do to test maps so I do not see harm in sharing the above as it will help players understand our process a little better as I have tried getting this across to players as of late.

The above is just an example of a few steps we go through when testing a map for the server which can take awhile to bring them into play on a live server. If a player base is demanding a certain map but it does not hold well for multiple players with a lower end system or in general with a large player count then obviously it would not be fair to use the map on the server unless changes can be done to fix this.

Another issue is that we have players who are only going to care about their rank and as such, certain maps are in their best interest and when a map comes on that does not play well for them, in recent events, have screamed that the map is horrible, to remove it and such where other players are enjoying it. We cannot cater to everyone's tastes, you will find maps you like and some you do not and trying to strike a balance which allows everyone to enjoy the map is a lot of work which is also why you may see a map in the 'core maps' rotation because it caters for everyone but obviously, can become stale.

Something else which has happened a lot lately since I have been back is that maps have been requested by several players and then when they come on they have started to whinge to remove the map, which again brings us back to the issue of populating the server with maps players enjoy and to be perfectly honest, can become a nuisance to the admins because we are receiving abuse for it. If you have any issues with the maps then feel free to PM me and I will handle the complaints personally.
No. I am not a nice man. It's important that you understand that. It's going to save you a great deal of time and effort. There is not a warmer, kinder me waiting to be coaxed out into the light. I am acerbic. I can be cruel. It's who I am. Right to the bottom. I'm neither proud of this, nor ashamed of it. It simply is. And in my work, my nature has been an advantage far more often than it has been a hindrance. I'm not gonna change.

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Player: Synaphix
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Re: Server #1 Map Rotation Explanation and Requests

Postby Synaphix on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:10 am

We will use this second post to show requests and our current status in regards to the map. If you would like to request a map for rotation, please reply to the thread and if possible, post a link to the map where we can download it.

Current Requests
No. I am not a nice man. It's important that you understand that. It's going to save you a great deal of time and effort. There is not a warmer, kinder me waiting to be coaxed out into the light. I am acerbic. I can be cruel. It's who I am. Right to the bottom. I'm neither proud of this, nor ashamed of it. It simply is. And in my work, my nature has been an advantage far more often than it has been a hindrance. I'm not gonna change.

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Player: Synaphix
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Return to Maps : CSS