The Pollen attack

Talk about anything and everything that doesn't fit one of the categories above.

The Pollen attack

Postby renegade_master on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 am

Hi,

I am using some of my leave up before end of the financial year and find myself with more time than normal :cheers:

The last few weeks have you been feeling more tired than normal? aching, flu like symptoms or migraine's?, did you know between March 15 to 31 Pollen counts are at there highest? and they can cause these symptoms? hence the term "Hay fever".

UK have started recording the pollen counts each year, this year they have yet again hit a record high, this year the pollen count has increased yet again to a new record level.

so what is pollen?
in its symplitist terms its male trees sporing there sperm to pollinate female trees.

grass tends to pollinate between may and august, Occasionally, in late summer and autumn, weeds such as nettles and dock. although pollen is very small dust like size you probably wont see it, unless there are lots of trees around and you will physically see a yellow like dust layer suddenly appear after 24 hours on your car and anything else outside.

because different greeny pollinate at different times people react to different types, i myself I do not suffer from grass/plants pollinating but I do suffer from the trees apparently, i.e. typically in march to april. Also, depending on the season, the symptoms may be more severe and people may experience coughing, wheezing, irritability and loss of concentration.

this year is a record high, people who have never experienced hay fever are now experiencing it, with severe flu like symptoms, feeling drained, and tired.

we continually plant/replant trees year on year creating stronger symptoms, people with asthma, not just elderly but young people in there 20's are suddenly experiencing more asthma attacks.

There are specific trees that give off more pollen then normal, such as the silver birch, ash, oak and London plane. I am all for saving the environment, but how about planting some other trees ^^? also the number of traffic accidents during those times. Makes one wonder if this is taken into account given the pollen count is increasing year on year in the UK and whether other countries are having same problems with mass replanting of trees?

thoughts?
renegade_master
Home Member

Player: Renegade_Master
STEAM_0:1:8405460

Re: The Pollen attack

Postby Unspecified on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am

I've had hay fever since i was little (runs in the family unfortunately). I haven't noticed it kicking in yet, it seems to be grasses that effect me the worst rather than the trees, so ive got that to look forward too :( I used to have quite bad asthma as a kid too, though it was never directly linked to hay fever. The asthma has improved with age, but unfortunately not the hay fever.

Must remember to stock up on anti-histamines in advance!

Thinking about what trees etc get planted cant hurt i guess, but there are so many plants and trees in the world there isn't really much you can do to escape from pollen, its just one of those things i've resigned myself to dealing with. I'm used to it, but it would be pretty nasty if it just started happening to you this year for the first time. Things haven't been as bad for me since i started living in the city center though, back when i used to live with my parents in the more leafy suburbs it was worse.

If you are 'new' to hayfever get yourself some tablets and take a look at some tips. Keeping your windows closed in the mornings and evenings feels weird in summer, but that's actually when the most pollen is about - in the middle of the day the higher air temperature causes alot of the pollen to rise up higher out of the way so its safer to open windows then (or so im told). Not drying your clothes outside in summer also helps as if you do they get covered in pollen before you even wear them.
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby n0rd on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:34 pm

take pills on a daily basis from mars to sep but they doesn't help so much but at least a bit.
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby BenJy! on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Now is the time of year I usually take my daily Loratadine tablets until the beginning Autumn. :)
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby renegade_master on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Unspecified wrote:I've had hay fever since i was little (runs in the family unfortunately). I haven't noticed it kicking in yet, it seems to be grasses that effect me the worst rather than the trees, so ive got that to look forward too :( I used to have quite bad asthma as a kid too, though it was never directly linked to hay fever. The asthma has improved with age, but unfortunately not the hay fever.

Must remember to stock up on anti-histamines in advance!

Thinking about what trees etc get planted cant hurt i guess, but there are so many plants and trees in the world there isn't really much you can do to escape from pollen, its just one of those things i've resigned myself to dealing with. I'm used to it, but it would be pretty nasty if it just started happening to you this year for the first time. Things haven't been as bad for me since i started living in the city center though, back when i used to live with my parents in the more leafy suburbs it was worse.

If you are 'new' to hayfever get yourself some tablets and take a look at some tips. Keeping your windows closed in the mornings and evenings feels weird in summer, but that's actually when the most pollen is about - in the middle of the day the higher air temperature causes alot of the pollen to rise up higher out of the way so its safer to open windows then (or so im told). Not drying your clothes outside in summer also helps as if you do they get covered in pollen before you even wear them.

i havent had hay fever this bad before, i went to see my GP and he said he had lots of new cases of people having hay fever and them thinking its a severe cold or flu they cant shift. as you rightly pointed out he suggest anti-histamines, which I did get and helped massively. However he also advised, to put Vaseline on the edge of my outter nose.. (were you blow your nose) he said that also helps stop the pollen going up your nose and blocking your nose.

Not sure I am going to go that far lol but as you say when summer hits and you have to close your windows might be worth something considering, lol buy more pillow cases :)
renegade_master
Home Member

Player: Renegade_Master
STEAM_0:1:8405460

Postby BenJy! on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:23 pm

PROTIP: Invest in an air purifier.
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby Garner on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm

I suffer from hayfever, but i can treat it without symptoms by switching my sleeping aid to either Hydroxyzine or Nytol (diphenhydramine) which are both very potent antihistamines. I take 40mg of Hydroxyzine or 50mg of Nytol at night, it helps me sleep for 8 hours. The drowsiness wears off by morning, but the effects on hay fever still act during the day. It's a lot easier than taking antihistamines during the day as non-drowsy antihistamines such as Loratidine and Cetirizine still do make you a tad drowsy during the day.

Also, if you suffer from hay fever, ask your GP for a prescription @ £7.20 for large amount of antihistamines rather than buying brands, it works out cheaper.

** Always consult your GP, the above is just some advice :)

Edit: Sedating antihistamines dont generally affect sleep quality, so it will benefit you if you are suffering from tiredness / lack of sleep.
Currently mapping: pl_range
Version: pre_alpha / design stage

Garner
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Garneя:_
STEAM_0:0:13764377

Postby cowboyfromhell on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:06 pm

As much as I love living in the countryside, this is one aspect I won't miss when I move!

Admittedly it was quite fun last year when I was relatively new to my job, had to convince a number of people I wasn't sat at my desk crying... :P
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Postby Useless² on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Im so glad I 'grew' out of this, used to have it real bad. Went camping when I was smaller and my throat was so closed up it was like breathing through a straw, not fun times.

But this was when I was more of a bedroom dweller ever since I started going out more, the symptoms happened less and less. So this whole hayfever thing could be something of our own doing, e.g. living too clean, living in urban areas and since it seems to be on the rise its could be because we spend too much time indoors? I assume cavemen didnt suffer from Hayfever but I could just be chatting crap :P
God gave me wind and waves...

...Everything else I can buy
Useless²
Home Member

Player: Useless²
STEAM_0:1:20542679

Postby TheChrisD on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:20 am

Some years I get it really bad, some years I don't get it at all (like last year!).

I have started to feel the symptoms of it this year, guess I'll have to start chugging the Piriton very soon...
TheChrisD
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: TheChrisD
STEAM_0:1:12934226

Postby Salva on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 am

I get horrific hayfever but it tends to be grass pollen that gets me, living in the country and working outside that's not do good, I always stock up on anti histamines but am going to have to go a step further this year as it can be that bad, last year I tried various methods with herbal remedies, pressure points, wrist bands etc etc, bring on the Vaseline up the nose this year!
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby 13th Nightmare on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 pm

I've suffered from hay fever since I was little. I was a lot worse when I was younger, now I only have the odd day where it's really bad and there is nothing I can do but just bear with it until it decides to die down on me. So long as I remember to take the hay fever tablets once a day I should be fine. For some reason, the el cheapo Morrisions brand of hay fever tablets work best for me. I have tried others but those ones I seem to have the best success rate with keeping my hay fever under control
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Return to Off Topic