giveing up smoking

Talk about anything and everything that doesn't fit one of the categories above.

Re: giveing up smoking

Postby Xerxes on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Only just saw this. Massive kudos to you - you're doing great to have gotten this far! :D
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby Little_Devil on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:13 am

dmc25_uk wrote:hello all well today is my 8th day of not smoking its hard work. but the cash im saving up for the summer LAN so its all good wish me luck i need it :) :cheers:

Congratulations, you are over the hardest part now. I have no idea of the method you have chosen, but I tried all sorts of different ways without success. I finally went for a treatment considered by many as quack medicine and stopped within 1 day, 3 years ago.

Keep up the good work. :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Blast on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:35 pm

I've given up and am feeling infinitely better and my sense of smell/taste is getting better. Sex is better too!
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Postby dmc25_uk on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 pm

lol blast what can i say to that :) i feel great for it :) and thanks all for all your support :) im stilll going strong and im on the patches still hoping to get off them soon :)

dmc25_uk
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: dave25_uk
STEAM_0:0:1684228

Postby um!!! on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Ah man its the hardest thing ever to do... tbh if you manage it, well done!
ImageImage
um!!!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Um!!!! [UKCS]
STEAM_0:1:10367893

Postby dmc25_uk on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm

well i gave it 2 mouths and i still wos on the first stage of patches :( how can i put this stresssssss so im smoking again :(

dmc25_uk
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:51 am

Never, say die, oh wait, smoking does.

The biggest problem with stopping smoking is the excuses you give yourself to start again.
Smoking both creates stress and relieves it, you get the stress by not smoking, so it dupes you into smoking whenever you have a lower level of nicotine in your system. Thus the stress you have created is transformed into another type of stress. This is why you get smokers wanting ever increasing amounts of the drug in their system. Some manage to plateau by fooling themselves, sometimes for years, that they are going to stop, so smoke a steady amount, trying valiantly to stave off the craving for more.
You have to ask yourself what other activity, like smoking, raises your blood pressure and releases chemicals into your bloodstream. This is something you see people getting off smoking take to in a big way.

Being an EX Smoker I know all the excuses people tell themselves, its like watching a slow moving train crash, fascinating to see the slow motion, but powerless to stop it.

tbh I don't see how anyone can stop smoking by just giving them nicotine, without full support. I do believe this is some sort of hangover from the drug rehabilitation schemes and all those unregulated ones never worked, so why should this. Here take this drug for heroin and morphine addiction, methadone, oh thanks, now I get a legal high without having to pay for it, and I string the GP out for as long as I can, No money for smack, no problem I sell off my prescription to some poor sap who wants more, then I go and buy the real stuff. No support meant the addicts did not stop. Anyone with a drug addiction of any sort, needs full support. You don't see an alcoholic being given so many free shots a day of their drug to wean them off do you. Mind you that would certainly increase the alcoholic statistics if they did. :)

You really have to look at the reasons for stopping, then choose a treatment that is best for you.

Look at some of these.

People who are wanting to stop because they have been given incentives to stop will do so. Stop smoking or you will get fired, No smoking during working hours.

People wanting to stop smoking because of the social stigma of being an outcast. Hardened smokers, a group of friends who all smoke so go outside at the pub together or people who keep to themselves don't care.

People who want to stop, because of money. Pretty hard so will tend to eat less.

People who have to stop because of health. You have cancer, stuff it then its too late to the person who cannot breathe, but the stimulant action of the fag helps them breathe.

Write down all your excuses, and why you want/need to stop smoking. This is not the obvious ones like its better for my health. We all know its better for your health, so its a pointless exercise telling a smoker its good for them. Write down what you have tried before and why you have failed. I do mean physically write, as this fixes those reasons into your brain, far better than typing them in on a computer.
In my case I tried every single nicotine substitute and included herbal cigarettes. There are even fake cigs that are just menthol flavoured.

Look around and research each item that helps you stop. This is not a pointless exercise as it will focus your mind on the end goal.

Smoking is both psychological and physical. You need to tackle both, build up the mind and prepare it by fair means or foul then cut out the route cause.

If you really want to stop, I can point you to a few places, but they will cost you around £400 + overnight stays at a hotel, a small price when you think of how much you save in the long run. You will stop within 1 day as long as you are willing to try.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby dmc25_uk on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 am

this mite sound weird to you but i have a addictive personalrty so they say its harder to stop

but for me its not the stopping its the staying stopped.

i know i can stop and that is what i will do just stop no patches no nothing its all in my head i know that to its a bit like coffee to yes i have a coffee addiction to but i dont mind that one as it will not kill me

there is lots of sfuff out there that can help me but will it ?

yes i just put the BUT in there but but but i get this as for physically writing it down i think that will help :)

a lot of it is boredom to as im sore you know and that is a excuse to. as i know when i just stop i will get all emotional proberly cry fill like shit but i also know that this will not last that long i will keep you posted when im ready to stop again :) thanks :)

dmc25_uk
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 am

You do need to post on here when you try again, because although it may not appear to be helpful, the support from everyone else here can help.

Good luck to you, and I do hope you succeed.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby dmc25_uk on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 am

thanks for that LD the support well help :)

dmc25_uk
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Blast on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:21 pm

I think the only reason I managed to give up smoking this time was because I genuinely 100% wanted to stop entirely. Nicotine addiction is not something that takes a long time to get over, it is the habits that you will need to break on the way, 99.9% of giving up is all in your head. This time around, if I'm stressed I go for a run, I ramble to a friend, chew gum. I replaced the association of smoking after/during different actions with something else. I used to say I had an addictive personality, and it's just an excuse for not giving up. Simply swap it out for something else. Smoking is simply a bad habit, and habits can be broken. I've not read it myself, but it's been recommended by countless people.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Eas ... 014103940X

Just remember, stop the excuses and you'll stop smoking a lot easier. (speaking as someone who's tried a fair few times before).

not directed at dmc, but more at anyone who's trying to stop or doesn't feel they can.
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Previous

Return to Off Topic