A call for help - donors needed

Talk about anything and everything that doesn't fit one of the categories above.

Re: A call for help - donors needed

Postby Rico on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Welcome to anticoagulant club. :D Even if you're only a temporary member.
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773

Postby sweetamber92 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:14 pm

im kinda worried if i supply bloods because i have runny blood... when my brother went he was ok but when he sat to have his complementary biscuit his blood started escaping everywhere and a mop was required... i mean what if my blood starts escaping after i leave the blood place
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby Blast on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:37 am

That blood could save more than one persons life, good on you!
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Lionheart wrote:
Cole Scuttle wrote:Thank-you very much for doing this :)

For first-time donors they conduct blood tests before they take an actual donation, so your blood group comes out during that process. It's written on the paperwork that they give back to you, along with the complementary first-timer information packs.

Just curious - the first time you go to donate blood - they still take the blood donation, as well as a blood test - and they find out the blood group whilst there the first time?

I'm tempted to give blood and have considered it - just worry about fainting as I am rather thin/light :P

sweetamber92 wrote:im kinda worried if i supply bloods because i have runny blood... when my brother went he was ok but when he sat to have his complementary biscuit his blood started escaping everywhere and a mop was required... i mean what if my blood starts escaping after i leave the blood place

Its amazing how little blood can be spilled to make it appear as if there is a lot. Easy test is to take 1 tablespoon of brake fluid and drop it on a smooth floor, you will see it spread a pretty long way, making it look as if there is a lot.
Some people do say they have runny blood, but the test the nurses do tells them a lot more than just the blood type. :)

Nurses observe anybody that gives blood, particularly newcomers, since they can regulate the flow. Sometimes they do indeed take blood too quickly, where you may feel a little feint, but quite often that can actually be caused through trepidation, which makes the heart beat faster.

Just be relaxed, knowing that you are in the hands of nurses that are consummate professionals and really know how to take care of you :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:23 pm

sweetamber92 wrote:im kinda worried if i supply bloods because i have runny blood... when my brother went he was ok but when he sat to have his complementary biscuit his blood started escaping everywhere and a mop was required... i mean what if my blood starts escaping after i leave the blood place

Yeah, to second what's above; having 'dealt' with elderly people before, if/when they fall over there is a LOT of blood, because it's so thin.
Although, i remember once a woman gave herself the tiniest cut on her arm somehow; she managed to stain a good 1/3 of the carpet and some of the wall red, but the paramedics checked her over and said she'd suffered 'no significant blood loss', she just managed to spread it around a bit by flapping about

so dont flap about

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby sweetamber92 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:16 pm

I have von willebrand disease so my blood escapes everywhere when i cut myself, i got a paper cut at work the other day and made a right mess, tho i only bleed and scar from small cuts if i properly hurt myself i hardly bleed at all.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby Cole Scuttle on Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 pm

TRIP REPORT!

Well, maybe not entirely the right choice of words, but there were chemicals and needles in abundance, so hey. I attended my first blood platelet donation session in five years today, and things have barely changed a bit. I arrived at 9.05am on the dot, having been held up by Stoke-on-Trent's glorious traffic system (which is only about two notches away from being branded a major disaster) and was ushered in to the waiting room. For anyone who's never voluntarily donated bodily fluids in an official capacity before, the screening process for regular donors takes the form of paperwork. I filled out a questionnaire asking whether I'd traveled to anywhere more exotic than Stoke in the last month or so (that would be Barton-under-Needwood, then) and whether I'd been making mad, passionate love with anyone I shouldn't have (details withheld for the sake of sanity). After that was done and dusted, it was blood test time. They have these disposable lancets that are about the size of those little pencil sharpeners you can buy. Quick mini-harpoon and I passed the blood-drop floaty test and then it was time for more forms to be filled in. If it seems a bit paperwork-heavy, that's because it has to be. Like any medical procedure more complicated than a visit to the doctor's surgery, consent has to be obtained and the donor has to be aware of the uses to which the platelets will be put (cancer treatment and life-saving transfusions for newborn babies, for instance). Then, once the checks and consents were finished with, it was time for the fun part to begin.

Of course,, 'fun' is subjective. I've never really liked sharp things all that much, and so becoming a blood donor was a big leap for me when I started doing it. I've still not got over it; it's a sort of mild phobia that I've never really shaken off. The good thing is that you only get needled once during donations (unless you opt for the local anaesthetic, in which case you get an extra dose of sharp things. In this case I was sat up on a couch that bears a resemblance to a dentist's chair, but one with a bulky cabinet that's all centrifuges and monitors attached to one side. That's the platelet separator. It's programmed to siphon blood off and harvest the platelets and then give the rest of the blood back to you again. It siphons for a few minutes and then pumps back for a couple more, and keeps that cycle up until the blood bag is filled with a fluid that rather resembles jarate, which is your platelet cells suspended in anticoagulant, plasma or whatever else goes in there. The amount of time you spend on the machine is directly proportionate to your body mass index. Basically, the larger you are, the longer it takes. I'm dieting at the moment and so my weight's gone down since my last attempt to donate, when they turned me away after the ibuprofen debacle. However, the machine stipulated that the donation was going to take 87 minutes to complete. That's rather a long time to go without the use of your left arm if you're not used to it. After an hour or so, the separation anxiety really begins to kick in.

At any rate, I was given some last checks and confirmations of identity and then I was good to go. Donation needles are rather heavy calibre, bigger than the syringes you normally see, but then they have to do a more important job. There are three tubes (plus valves and anti-backflow locks and whatnot) leading from the needle, plus a reservoir from which samples are taken for testing. The first tube is for outgoing blood, on its way to the separator. Second one is for blood on its way back to you. Third one contains the anticoagulant, which is basically citric acid. It gets mixed in with the blood to keep it from setting, but the downside is that you end up with it in your bloodstream, and it can cause side effects if it's not monitored. You feel the effects in the form of a tingling sensation in your lips, plus a metallic taste in your mouth, and enough of it can trigger allergic reactions. The way to stop that happening is by drinking a quantity of full-fat milk beforehand (which is hell if you're trying to diet!). The molecules of anticoagulant bond with the calcium in the milk and, in that way, they don't cause any other mischief. Don't ask me how it works; I'm just the patient.

Minor ouch as the needle goes in, and then I settled back in the couch and let the machine do its thing. I had a book with me about Bomber Command in WW2, which was a suitably beefy read. Other people take laptops for the free wifi, or smartphones, crosswords, newspapers or whatever. I got through two chapters before the donation was finished. The milk did what it was supposed to do (as well as fattening me up) and all I had to do was sit there and fight the pins and needles as my left arm went to sleep. There's a heating bad in the armrest that's there to stop your arm going cold, since the blood coming back from the separator has cooled considerably and a cold arm is not comfortable and indeed feels quite weird. They gave me a little rubber ball to play with, just to give my fingers something to do, and the timer clicked and the machine whirred and then that was that - donation over, up you get and where the hell's the toilet?

I'll be going back again next month and then the month after that. The thing with platelet donation is that because you're not losing haemoglobin in any great quantities, you can donate more frequently, once a month as opposed to once every six months for whole blood donation. Then it was back into the car and off home for me. So that's one session down and plenty more to come. Any questions about the platelet donation procedure, feel free to ask :D

Cole Scuttle

Player: Cole Scuttle
STEAM_0:1:6079823

Postby just annoying boo on Fri May 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Nice one Cole :cheers:
just annoying boo
Home Member

Player: boo
STEAM_0:1:4062232

Postby Shuriken on Fri May 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Good stuff :)

Though, no biscuit? :(
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Cole Scuttle on Fri May 16, 2014 8:13 pm

There were hot drinks and biscuits laid on during the process. I had a cocoa but I skipped the biscuits because, hey, dieting :D

Cole Scuttle

Player: Cole Scuttle
STEAM_0:1:6079823

Postby Little_Devil on Sat May 17, 2014 10:09 am

Well done.

Sounds like a long process which is probably why more people don't do it. On the other hand blood bank wagons used to roll out and get people to donate during their dinner hour, not much chance of that with this process.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby just annoying boo on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Gave my second donation of blood today, made me feel rather good. Thought I would be brave this time and look at the needle (you know how scared I am of needles!) - OMG - next time I will look away!
just annoying boo
Home Member

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:37 pm

just annoying boo wrote:Gave my second donation of blood today, made me feel rather good. Thought I would be brave this time and look at the needle (you know how scared I am of needles!) - OMG - next time I will look away!

props

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby just annoying boo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Well nothing like crashing an old thread - so bump and get giving^^

Gave my 4th (YES 4TH) donation today, don't understand why I was so nervous now looking back at the 1st! <3
just annoying boo
Home Member

Postby ListerofSMEG-2 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 pm

I recently received my certificate & badge/tie pin for my 50th armful of blood. I now carry a GOLD donation card :)
i37 i40 i43 i45(Spec) i46 i49 i52(spec) i55
ListerofSMEG-2
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: ListerofSMEG
STEAM_0:1:5418592

Postby just annoying boo on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:41 pm

My dad had a transfusion today (rare blood type (3 to 4% of people donate)) - makes me glad I donate. He has had leukemia for the past 9 years but has had 2 major cancer scares along the way - currently having chemo which has made him very very weak.

<3 Donate people - you never know when someone you love might need it - 30 minutes of your time can save a life and costs you nothing. <3
just annoying boo
Home Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic