Why I will never set a foot in Australia...

Talk about anything and everything that doesn't fit one of the categories above.

Why I will never set a foot in Australia...

Postby Snowbat on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 pm

... unless I can wear a hazmat suit and carry a flamethrower and a grenade launcher with me.

http://izismile.com/2014/02/05/if_youre ... _gifs.html

Did I ever say I have a severe case of arachnophobia? Don't get me wrong, I don't hate these animals nor do I want to kill them all. But they terrify the living s**t out of me. F**k, I'm even too scared to approach the tarantula glass cage in the zoo. I was with my ex at the zoo a couple of months ago before we broke up, and when we came to the tarantula cage, I refused to get any closer. She grabbe dmy hand like I was a little kid and pulled me towards it. She said my hands became all sweaty and cold from pure terror.

Never understood how a tall 1m92 dude like me can be scared of such a (relatively) tiny animal.
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Re: Why I will never set a foot in Australia...

Postby coldandtired on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:44 pm

I also dislike them with a passion.

I'm trying not to pass it on to my sons, but I think they can sense it.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby m0lineux on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Wow there's me not sleeping for a couple of weeks!!
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby re# Skilgannon on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:13 pm

didnt even click the link :(
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Silkie on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:33 pm

English spiders are much more polite and frequently give you a formal greeting.

Any flies you'd care for me to dispose of today good sir?

"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I saw a report once about one of these nasty little things being pretty viscous and the bite never heals properly, without regular hospital treatment.

UK is pretty lucky, although there have been reports of increased bites from false widow spiders, but for the most part UK spiders mandibles are just not big enough.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Snowbat on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Little_Devil wrote:I saw a report once about one of these nasty little things being pretty viscous and the bite never heals properly, without regular hospital treatment.

UK is pretty lucky, although there have been reports of increased bites from false widow spiders, but for the most part UK spiders mandibles are just not big enough.

Ah yes the infamous Brown Recluse. Nasty thing it is. And yes, the bite can sometime cause necrosis that needs to be checked regularly. Brown Recluses are known for being very shy and not agressive. They usually only bite if you literally press on them. It's not the deadliest for humans though. That honor goes to the Funnel Web Spider which is, like all creepy and deadly sh*t, mainly found in Australia. This one will bite more easily when threatened and more than often deliver a neurotoxin in your bloodstream.
And then, in close second, there is the Brazilian Wandering Spider. This abomination is very aggressive, usually wanders around (so it's more likely to encounter humans) and really doesn't hesitate to attack when provoked, also delivering a neurotoxin.
Black Widows are often mistaken for being the deadliest and in a way, yes they are deadly, but we have very effective antivenins for it now. We have antivenins for all these nasties as a matter of fact.

And before you wonder how I know all this: I have always been fascinated by animals, even those that scare me.

On a side note, the most deadly poison ever, is the botulinum toxin. 4 kg of this sh*t, if distributed equally, could kill every human on Earth.

Have a nice day!
Snowbat
Home Member

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 pm

My Aunt and Uncle have lived in Australia for 20+ years and have never been bitten. My Mum and Dad went for 3 weeks to see them and have a holiday a couple of months back. They didnt see any spiders or snakes for the whole 3 weeks.

I guess if you look for them, you will find them. Then you probably deserve to get bitten for disturbing them.

As for the UK. I like our spiders. There was probably a time when I was younger I used to be a little scared of them but now I play with them. They are my friends, I am also teaching my Daughter (2 years old) how to handle them. I like the mouse spiders, they are fast little buggers that live indoors and have a furry grey mouselike abdomen.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby Snowbat on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 am

EvolvedMonkey wrote:My Aunt and Uncle have lived in Australia for 20+ years and have never been bitten. My Mum and Dad went for 3 weeks to see them and have a holiday a couple of months back. They didnt see any spiders or snakes for the whole 3 weeks.

I guess if you look for them, you will find them. Then you probably deserve to get bitten for disturbing them.

As for the UK. I like our spiders. There was probably a time when I was younger I used to be a little scared of them but now I play with them. They are my friends, I am also teaching my Daughter (2 years old) how to handle them. I like the mouse spiders, they are fast little buggers that live indoors and have a furry grey mouselike abdomen.

I'm not scared of spiders for the bite. The spider that terrifies me most is the Goliath Bird Spider, even though it's bite is fairly harmless to humans. It's not the idea of being bitten that scares me. It's not event he idea that it's gonna somehow jump at me or anything. It's the sight, pure and simple. If it has a big body and big fat legs, it scares me. Even a bloody picture does. Don't ask me why. It's totally irrational but it's stronger than me, like most phobias.
If I ever saw a Goliath in my house, I think I'd blow my house up with 20 kg of dynamite.
Snowbat
Home Member

Postby Xerxes on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

Obligatory:

ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Return to Off Topic