Looking for Microphone advice and recommendations

Talk about anything and everything that doesn't fit one of the categories above.

Looking for Microphone advice and recommendations

Postby Shuriken on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Howdy folks

I'm in the market for a standalone mic, durable enough to move around regularly and ideally natively 3.5mm. Budget is a concern but durability is my primary one. It's been more than a few years since I've looked at any studio equipment but I know a few of you use them over headsets, if you could shed any light on good and bad experiences you've had I would greatly appreciate it :)

I'm not opposed to wireless but I would prefer a wired solution for reliability and inevitable troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks in advance <3
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Re: Looking for Microphone advice and recommendations

Postby Security on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 pm

The one I use is a USB one, it is a Samson Meteor Mic and it picks up pretty much anything (which is a good and a bad thing), I am happy with the quality as well but since I do not know that much about sound stuff so keep that in mind (the Amazon reviews are good tho). :P
It is very solid and sturdy and the fold up legs are ideal if your not going to hang it on a mount.
I also like the fact that it simply worked out of the box when I plugged it in, it was recognised straight away.
Finally it was relatively cheap at 60 Euro's for a studio mic. :)
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Not sure what you need it for, but for my general streaming, Mumble and music recording shenaniganry, I've come to love my Blue Snowball. Especially as i got it from eBay for £20.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Postby Shuriken on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:47 pm

These are exactly what I'm looking for :D

Usage is identical to yours Neuro. How sturdy is the Blue? It's hard to gauge the quality of the legs.

Have either of you used a pop shield with yours?
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 pm

The legs aren't bad at all, perfectly stable as is, and the mic itself is basically nukeproof. It's dealt with far more abuse than I can explain.

That said, i don't use the legs at all any more, at least at home. I got a cheapo clamp-to-desk stand off Amazon, and seeing as (to my knowledge) all Blue mics use standard mic stand attachments, it was as simple as screwing the thing on. I'd show you whenever as far as quality goes, but Mumble's down. =(
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:02 pm

I haven't used a pop shield on mine but the friend that recommended me this mic does use one, so what do you want to know regarding that? :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Just if there's enough space to easily attach one, usage is pretty much point and spit lol. They both look pretty good and I've seen each for less than £40 :D

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Security on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:55 pm

In both cases I do not think you are meant to attach a pop shield to the mic itself. :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:42 pm

lol the ones I have attach to the stand stem, can see the blue has a stand attachment but i'm not sure about the samson

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Security on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 pm

With the Samsung you can screw in a stand on the bottom.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:09 pm

A lot of filters either use a gooseneck arm for the pop filter itself around a thin washer that fits around the mic screw, or they attach to the stand itself by any number of mechanisms (Simple clamps are common).

What I can say is that the Snowball doesn't need one for the most part anyway unless going directly for vocals and you want to curtail a little bit of the far-highs. For narration/streaming/what-have-you, some slight distance and having the mic at a slight angle above your head so you're not talking/singing/whatever directly into it should be sufficient unless you tend to get tat very clicky, poppy sound causing very sharp 'puh'y and 'teh'y Ps and Ts (Awful description, I know). Of course, your results may vary, but it's definitely worth playing around and trying things out to get the style that helps you. Filters are generally fairly cheap anyway, so there's no harm in trying.

A lot of what will be needed in any given situation and setup depend heavily on room acoustics, ambient sound, how much space you have, and any number of other variables that are mostly trial-and-error. Given the variables, I can offer some ballpark advice, but as a rule, what sounds best to you will probably be ideal for what you want from it.
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 am

bit of thin acoustic foam and gaffa tape will do the job.

old pair of tights stretched across an old wire coat hanger will do too :P

Depends what you want the pop filter for ? That is a condenser mic with a flat response over the vocal range, so any mechanical filtering will reduce the high end response, something which is OK for female vocals, but would have to be compensated for, with male vocals. Its a cardioid mic with around a 45 deg off axis spread within the vocal range, so if you point the mic down you can expect a change not only in the frequency response, but a corresponding drop in level which may also change the response (not looked for any decent stats, so this is just experience talking).

Overall a good mic by the looks of it, but not what I would call cheep or indeed the best mic for male vocal.

Have you had a look at Behringer C2 Matched Pair mics, around £40 for a matched pair, that you can sit far enough away, so you wouldn't need a pop filter, either mounted on stands or just tape them down to something sturdy. Just google Behringer C 2 Matched Pair
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Shuriken on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 pm

The pop filters are used for recording group discussions, some dictation and occasional vocals. A mix of age groups and varying degrees of missing teeth and dentures needs a load of cleaning up lol. I've already got a bunch with gooseneck clips though, so no faffing with tights and foam for me just yet.

Ideally I want to be able to use it as my general purpose computer mic as well, the behringer pair looks impressive for the price but I don't know how practical the setup would be to move them around.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 pm

I have used similar type mics for both recording an orchestra, and in live situation for PA systems to audiences, although they were Sennheiser shot gun mics, then tried out some Beyer mics in a similar configuration with just as decent playback. Basically you cross the ends of the pair over each other, so that the dispersion pattern overlaps each other, A basic mic self mix were the on axis picks up the direct sounds along that axis and you get a stereo mix from 2 mics because of the overlapping fields with a small amount of separation. You can vary this to some extent by putting the mics further apart, but still have them crossing over each other along the main axis. This is also good for when you have a group of people as in a choir or even just a meeting.

As far as the foam and tights are concerned, the foam I have used both in live shows (audiences in excess of a few thousand) and in recording studios :P no one notices to be honest and can be a quick fix where you don't have a pop filter that will slip over the end of the mic.

Behringer mics have been around for many years now and are pretty good, just less well known, unlike companies such as Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer Dynamic, Neumann etc which all charge a lot for their mics, particularly the last, but then again those are very good :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Return to Off Topic