What If God Was One Of Us?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Do you believe in God?

Yes, I do believe him.
16
32%
No, I do not believe him
34
68%
 
Total votes : 50

What If God Was One Of Us?

Postby Mali on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi everyone.

One day, when it was raining, I was cleaning my cupboards when I found something that I havent seen for a too long time, my Bibble.

I started reading it and all the memories from past few weeks came to my mind and i realized how bad person I really am, and how much better I could be. I continued reading... and found some absolutely beautiful things and now I can remember like I once, when I was child, believed in God.
My faith has been gone for a long time now, but after this somehow i feel that i believe him again. At the same day, I saw the movie "Bruce The Allmighty" or whatever it is called in english (the one with Jim Carrey).

I found it really good movie, and I started to think my faith again. I have decided to be a better person, and maybe others will do the same.

I can now honestly say that I believe in God. Do you?
User avatar
Mali
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: CZAR.L7\Mali
STEAM_0:0:7556750
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Finland / Winland

Postby EddyFly on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:14 pm

We've had a good couple of religious debates in the six months I've been here. The paradoxical question of Jesus being able to microwave a bagel so hot that he couldn't eat it being my favorite.
http://forums.ukcs.net/viewtopic.php?t=15053

I don't believe in god. My argument simplified - he only exists to answer questions we currently do not have answers to. What's behind that bush? God! Oh now I see it's just a bit of grass. God must be behind that cloud. Some folk get a feeling he exists, in one form or another... but I don't. And other people's feelings are not enough to sway me towards believing in something no more real, in my opinion, than the easter bunny.


User avatar
EddyFly
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: street
STEAM_0:0:5328592
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Postby NightStalker on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:17 pm

mali im gonna move this to Thinkers Topics

i would add something but ive got other things to think about sry, like my work that ive gotta do >.<
Image
User avatar
NightStalker
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: NightStalker
STEAM_0:0:8782934
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:10 am
Location: Nottingham, UK



Image

Postby Mali on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:40 pm

Sure no prob at all :D
Didnt know where to post this anyway.

In my opinion, if you open your eyes, you can see stunning miracles everyday and thats the proof that god exist. at least for me.

And when you think about afterlife, might be that there is nothing after you die, just emptiness. But what if there is a place called the heaven and an alternative place called the hell? It makes much more sence to believe, just in case :D That was thinking of one philosopher.
User avatar
Mali
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: CZAR.L7\Mali
STEAM_0:0:7556750
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Finland / Winland

Postby Xhiea on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:43 pm

My opinion is that i don't belive in god because it seems people believe in god because it makes them feel that they have a purpose in life. Whereas, imo, we really dont, apart from to have as much fun, and enjoy life as much as you can. And people that follow god, Think more about afterlife, and getting other people to believe in god, then actually enjoying life to the full.

Might sound weird, does that make sense :S
Image

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
User avatar
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:48 pm
Location: York, North Yorkshire



Image

Postby woogie on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Xhiea² wrote:My opinion is that i don't belive in god because it seems people believe in god because it makes them feel that they have a purpose in life. Whereas, imo, we really dont, apart from to have as much fun, and enjoy life as much as you can. And people that follow god, Think more about afterlife, and getting other people to believe in god, then actually enjoying life to the full.

Might sound weird, does that make sense :S


It does make sense.
Instead of trying to get other people to believe in god or spending so much time in church, these people should try helping the sick, the poor or the hungry, as god would surely prefer all those than forcing people to believe?
I don't believe, but thats because i don't need to. While some religion has good morals, other parts of religion are pure hypocrisy.


User avatar
woogie
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: Woogie
STEAM_0:1:6203061
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:10 am
Location: x-fire - woogie211

Postby Xhiea on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:54 pm

thats exactly what i think woogs, good point *thumbs up*

to me, the bible is just another book, its like harry potter, or the lord of the rings. Like many other books, it has characters, and chapters, each with its own underlaying moral. Thats what i think of the bible, and pretty much any holy book. Fair enough, it makes you feel good, but thats only because of the things that happen in the bible, which are pretty much mostly have posotive outcomes, its because emotions transfer when you think about them, like if you watch TV, and everything turns out really good and everybody is all dandy, you smile, and same with sad films, they make you cry. IMO, teh bible is only a simple book.

imo
Image

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
User avatar
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:48 pm
Location: York, North Yorkshire



Image

Postby RLCrazyCat3 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:08 pm

i myself think there is no god or gods simply because if there was a god wouldn't this world be so much better off? i mean the guy who created this world, ain't exactly gona let it rot is he?

-crazycat
The Flying Drunken Ninja of tf2!

Image

The Bottle Master of ukcs >=)
User avatar
RLCrazyCat3
Experienced Member
 
Player: RLCrazyCat3
STEAM_0:0:11746075
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: ...look up

Postby Xhiea on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:15 pm

actually just thinking about one thing.... noahs ark... it is weird, it happened because mankind had become corrupt and evil... that is kind of happening now, and we are getting warnings of gloabal floods? weird if you think about it...
Image

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
User avatar
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:48 pm
Location: York, North Yorkshire



Image

Re: What If God Was One Of Us?

Postby hilly22 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:10 am

[quote="Mali"]

my Bibble.

quote]

Whats a Bibble?

:)

H
Image
Have a chat in my ventrilo channel

Host:voice.clanservers.com
Port:4418
User avatar
hilly22
UKCS Sponsor
 
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: Being pedantic!

Postby Bobbobthebob on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:22 am

I'm a strong atheist and I guess you might say I've been pretty vociferous about it in the past :P

Mali, that philosopher was Pascal. That whole point is known as Pascal's wager and is one of the worst arguments for faith; reducing the matter to basic game theory (can you tell Pascal was a mathematician? :P).
I could equally argue that it is better to live your life as if there are no gods, and to try to make the world a better place. If there is no god, you'll have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those who you leave behind. If there is a benevolent god, he will judge you on your good deeds and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

Of course I'm creating a false dichotomy here that there may only be two choices: either there are no gods or if there is one he will reward me for my actions. Similarly however, Pascal does the same. How bummed will he have been if he died, went wherever it is dead souls go and found Ganesh or Allah floating around in the clouds? :P He also assumes that a god will reward you infinite happiness for eternity for merely believing in his existence. And then we could argue back and forth about whether this hedging-our-bets kind of belief is true belief at all and whether or not one can just choose to believe like that in the first place.

What you call miracles that prove God's existence will almost definitely be, to me, natural mechanisms of the way the world works that have been, or will be, explained by science. I enjoy the beauty of the world without having to invoke supernatural sky-daddies to explain it to myself. I have no problems with those who do, but my main problem is when they want to affect other people with such superstitions (see blasphemy laws, creationism being taught in schools, separation of church and state etc)

Anyway, I thought I'd end this with a quote from the frontispiece of Richard Dawkins' new book:

Is it not enough to believe that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
User avatar
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member
 
Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:07 am
Location: Edinburgh



Image

Postby Cass0 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:19 am

just a stranger on a bus...


User avatar
Cass0
Old Timer
 
Player: Cass0
STEAM_0:0:296845
 
Posts: 5274
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Liverpool



Image

Re: What If God Was One Of Us?

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:46 am

hilly22 wrote:
Mali wrote:
my Bibble.

quote]

Whats a Bibble?

:)

H


What small children have and dribble on. :)


Answer to question is I dunno.
So many things appear to be devine like, if thats the word. Others are just drivvle from a modern stance, however reading a book that is someones interpretation of the original bible without questioning the authors motives seams a bit wierd.

As for this whole son of god business, it seams that in those days, before and after, it was quite common for a woman to say her offspring is the son of a god :roll: make up your own reasons as to the why.
Alexander the great was supposed to be the son of some god, and so was Achillies some 400 years before that.

As for Noah's Ark, and Pompei etc, thats easy, take any modern day disaster and put a religeous spin on it. If the masses are so enthralled in a God, then they will believe most anything thier religeous leaders tell them. A political statement blended into a religeous statement can work wonders. All you have to do is look at the Ayatollahs(spelling) and you can see what I mean.

If someone wants to believe in a devine being, so be it, its there choice.


Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)
 
Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437
 
Posts: 18895
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Postby White Dove on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:01 am

I believe in God because, one reson is, I look around and see many things that can't just be dismissed by scientist , ones who come up with a theory and people believe it because they think, he must be right he's a scientist, then it's taught in schools as fact :roll:. Adolf Hitler once said "if you tell a lie long enough and loud enough people wil start to believe it", he was right (evolution).

The science world is made up of too many men blinded by thier own stupidity, that they are the intelligence of this universe :roll: :)

You hear the same things all the time "people just believe to fill what they think is a gap in thier lives", ever thought there may just be a gap in your life?

Christians stand out in all weathers handing out tracks and telling people about God only to be ridiculed and be made fun of, why do they do it ?, for the love they have for you, you who makes fun of them and runs them down at every opportunity, who will take the track and rip it up in front of them or scrunch it up and throw it in thier face while laughing, yet still they will love you.

Thank God I'm a Christian.


woogie wrote:It does make sense.
Instead of trying to get other people to believe in god or spending so much time in church, these people should try helping the sick, the poor or the hungry, as god would surely prefer all those than forcing people to believe?
I don't believe, but thats because i don't need to. While some religion has good morals, other parts of religion are pure hypocrisy.


They do help the hungry, sick and poor and they don't force people to believe (I can only speak about born again Christians), it isn't like you can click your fingers and believe, you can't be forced to believe.
No God wouldn't prefer your priorities to be helping the sick, poor or hungry, where does God come into it there ?, He is above and before all things.

Xhiea² wrote:thats exactly what i think woogs, good point *thumbs up*

to me, the bible is just another book, its like harry potter, or the lord of the rings. Like many other books, it has characters, and chapters, each with its own underlaying moral. Thats what i think of the bible, and pretty much any holy book. Fair enough, it makes you feel good, but thats only because of the things that happen in the bible, which are pretty much mostly have posotive outcomes, its because emotions transfer when you think about them, like if you watch TV, and everything turns out really good and everybody is all dandy, you smile, and same with sad films, they make you cry. IMO, teh bible is only a simple book.

imo


Jesus is fact not a character.

I'd be intrested to see if people are still reading harry potter or lord of the rings books 4000 years from now.
After reading the bible and you believe it, it makes you realise what you've done on God, that doesn't make you feel good.
Curious...what are the things that have a positive outcome in the bible that makes you feel good?

You say "the bible is only a simple book", tell me about it because I find it far from simple.

Bobbobthebob wrote: If there is a benevolent god, he will judge you on your good deeds and not just on whether or not you believed in him


No he wont, He will be judge you on the things you do wrong under His law.
Weather or not you believe in him will determine where you go. if you believe in Him, you'll have to answer for the things you did wrong, if you don't believe in Him you'll have to pay for the things you've did wrong.

Is it not enough to believe that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

From this quote his book sounds like an interesting read...... on the other hand :D :D :D



You spend a short time on earth but eternity is a long time, what are you priorities :?:


User avatar
White Dove
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Gumball
STEAM_0:0:9972896
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: E.Belfast in Norn Iron

Re: What If God Was One Of Us?

Postby White Dove on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:38 am

Little_Devil wrote:As for this whole son of god business, it seams that in those days, before and after, it was quite common for a woman to say her offspring is the son of a god :roll: make up your own reasons as to the why

Difference is, this one died for it in a horrible way and is still talked about 2000 years later, not to mention being worshiped.

As for Noah's Ark, and Pompei etc, thats easy, take any modern day disaster and put a religeous spin on it. If the masses are so enthralled in a God, then they will believe most anything thier religeous leaders tell them. A political statement blended into a religeous statement can work wonders

For what reason if false would religious leaders tell this story?

Many religions believe in a flood, is that just a coincidence?
It's the oldest story in Chinese history.

Maybe not that easy to explain away.


User avatar
White Dove
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Gumball
STEAM_0:0:9972896
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: E.Belfast in Norn Iron

Postby The_Pope on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:39 am

The Old Testament is a Chronicle of History, just [in my opinion] created into a religious story as that's the only way they knew how to explain things. I believe that religion, and the teachings of religion are great and all, but you can't say that Jesus is a 'Fact' and Evolution is 'A lie'.

You can see Evolution happening, it is just a theory and it is taught like that [Hence it's called The theory of evolution] But there are no real facts that Jesus ever existed, except for a book put together by a monk 200 years after this doods supposed Death!

You also say that a lot of science is made up, why don't you look infront of you - Look, it's a monitor! Oh look at this magic! This was not simply put together at random, it was thought about, technologies were put together and science created it.

Scientists do not dismiss that there may be a presence of God, infact Stephen Hawkins has openly admitted that some sort of God is the most plausible way for the universe to of been created at this point in time. The thing they have dismissed is that God controls everything, through working out how weather works [and even controlling it themselves] so you can't say God is omnipotent and All powerful as if he does exist, he isn't.

My 2 bits.
Image
Image
User avatar
The_Pope
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: The Pope @ i49
STEAM_0:0:2895797
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: Under your bed with loving intentions



Image

Postby woogie on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 pm

White Dove wrote: Adolf Hitler once said "if you tell a lie long enough and loud enough people wil start to believe it", he was right.


Yes, so i could apply that to God too :)
Thanks for backing up my argument :)


User avatar
woogie
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: Woogie
STEAM_0:1:6203061
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:10 am
Location: x-fire - woogie211

Postby deadly on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 pm

I believe in god iv seen his posts on ukcs forums under a name we all know.
TC


deadly :D
ImageImage [thanks wash for the sig]
CHOKE THAT WEASLE!!!!!
User avatar
deadly
Home Member
 
Player: Legatus™
STEAM_0:0:5200690
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: yorkshire

Postby White Dove on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:54 pm

The_Pope wrote:The Old Testament is a Chronicle of History, just [in my opinion] created into a religious story as that's the only way they knew how to explain things. I believe that religion, and the teachings of religion are great and all, but you can't say that Jesus is a 'Fact' and Evolution is 'A lie'.

You can see Evolution happening, it is just a theory and it is taught like that [Hence it's called The theory of evolution] But there are no real facts that Jesus ever existed, except for a book put together by a monk 200 years after this doods supposed Death!

You also say that a lot of science is made up, why don't you look infront of you - Look, it's a monitor! Oh look at this magic! This was not simply put together at random, it was thought about, technologies were put together and science created it.

Scientists do not dismiss that there may be a presence of God, infact Stephen Hawkins has openly admitted that some sort of God is the most plausible way for the universe to of been created at this point in time. The thing they have dismissed is that God controls everything, through working out how weather works [and even controlling it themselves] so you can't say God is omnipotent and All powerful as if he does exist, he isn't.

My 2 bits.

First of all, I don't know how you came to that conclusion on the old testment however, Jesus is fact, the romans kept detailed accounts of everything they did and in those accounts it talks about a man calling himself Jesus and how they put him to death(that's the simple version), so if you don't believe that then how can you believe Gaius Julius Caesar ever lived.
A monk put the bible together.. sorry bud you've been misinformed.

I believe in God, evolution goes against creation so I believe evolution is a lie.
If evolution is happening in front of you, surely thats a fact so why would you call it a theory?, it is taught as fact in the schools, have a look in a history book and when referring to dinosaurs it starts off "about 200 million years ago" or something similar (taught as fact), corrupt the minds of the young and feed them lies all the way through their school years, they wont question a teacher, and they will just think it is fact.

Please don't misunderstand what I said, I said "too many" not all scientists, there are some really good scientists out there, I've never said different. I have the utmost respect for science and scientist just not all of them.
Again too many scientists totally rule out God or a creator of any kind

Stephen Hawkins said " no one man or group of men could have wrote the bible, I'm not saying there is a "God" but there is a higher being out there"

I believe in God so I believe he controls everything, that is where my faith comes in.

I dont wish to get into a debate over this subject. To all, believe what you will, it's your life and your future.


User avatar
White Dove
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Gumball
STEAM_0:0:9972896
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: E.Belfast in Norn Iron

Postby White Dove on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:00 pm

woogie wrote:
White Dove wrote: Adolf Hitler once said "if you tell a lie long enough and loud enough people wil start to believe it", he was right.


Yes, so i could apply that to God too :)
Thanks for backing up my argument :)

Ummm that wasn't your argument, you would need to read your own posts. :D :D


User avatar
White Dove
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Gumball
STEAM_0:0:9972896
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: E.Belfast in Norn Iron

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests