Pinnochio Paradox

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: Pinnochio Paradox

Postby BenJy! on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:56 pm

And here's me thinking this was just common logical sense, can people really read that deep in to this? :/
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby CraKinShOt on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:41 am

Well the logical mind will say 2*2 = 4, while the imaginative people will ask whether anything actually exists and whats the point in saying 2*2=4 anyway. :D
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby Dash on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:18 am

Okay wut, Pinnochio's nose grows when he lies, it doesn't shrink when he tells the truth

His nose is not about to grow, so he's lieing. If he wasn't lieing, he would still be lieing because his nose wouldn't grow.

Dash
UKCS Sponsor

Player: dash
STEAM_0:0:4382891

Postby CraKinShOt on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 am

If he said "My nose is growing" then it would be a lie. But he says "My Nose will grow now". It is a paradox and I don't think you can arrive at a single conclusion. Like I said before, the conditions are recursive and infinite.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby Bobbobthebob on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:58 pm

CraKinShOt wrote:while the imaginative people will ask whether anything actually exists and whats the point in saying 2*2=4 anyway. :D

Pah! Imaginative? Solipsism is as old as the hills! (or at least as old as the ancient Greeks)

Mr Tortoise wrote:Bobb: I agree with your last statement, but int he case of a whopping great lie followed by a small truth wouldn't that make his nose grow a lot and then shrink a little?

Aye but the net effect would be the growth of his nose. He's merely being economical with the truth :P
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Mr Tortoise on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:18 pm

way before the greeks also ;)

look at ancient indian religions ... arguments for and agaist solipsims are rife in the upanishads

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mr Tortoise
STEAM_0:1:5538686

Postby rrjwilson on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Cause and effect. His nose cannot grow as he is wood, it only grows by curse which is a function of his verbal dialogue therefore his statement is a lie and moments later the nose will grow. This does not qulaify his original statement to be correct as otherwise it would not have grown. The spell is to stop him cocking about and deceiving people.

More than likely the fairy god mother would come down and smack him in the head and say "don't play with yourself!"
ЛЯ8 pilaging campers since 2005
Pick up a P90 and mow the bitches down
rrjwilson
Home Member

Player: ЛЯ8☂
STEAM_0:1:9008155

Postby Xhiea on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 pm

so...

if you put pinnochio in a box, while he's saying "my nose will grow now", a rip will appear in space-time and it will be the end of the universe as we know it? correct?

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby Conan on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 pm

I'd be more interested to find out what happened if he tried dividing by zero.

(Bumpage because if other topic!)

LEE ATWATER wrote:sometimes you eat the coconut and at other times it falls on your head and makes you cry
Conan
Experienced Member

Player: Fool
STEAM_0:0:13736282

Postby cerb on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:26 am

Xhiea wrote:so...

if you put pinnochio in a box With radioactive material, while he's saying "my nose will grow now", a rip will appear in space-time and it will be the end of the universe as we know it? correct?

corrected^
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080654

Postby Xhiea on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:20 pm

jacoby308 wrote:
Xhiea wrote:so...

if you put pinnochio in a box With radioactive material, while he's saying "my nose will grow now", a rip will appear in space-time and it will be the end of the universe as we know it? correct?

corrected^

nah radioactive material would obviously just create a super laser beam emitting pinnochio which eats babies

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby Plurp on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Well, he says that his nose will grow NOW, as in "this exact moment", that leaves us with the question: what is the response time of the nose.
If it reacts immediately it would be a paradox (making it a lie and the truth at the same time), but if there was a delay his nose would grow because he told a lie, but after that, nothing happens because the time has passed when he said that his nose will grow now.
it was a lie, his nose grew, but time has passed since so the statement "my nose will grow now" will still be a lie because it didn't grow at that exact moment. :|

just my two cents :P

Plurp
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Chicago Jones
STEAM_0:1:7361818

Postby Wizav on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:08 am

Pinnochios nose never grows instantly. theres a second or two before it grows, And in that space of time hes lieing so his nose does indeed grow then stops.

So to put it simply If pinnochio said "my nose will now grow" his nose would grow because he lied.

There's no possible way the nose could grow with zero time between end of the lie and begining of the growth. There has to be a point in time between the two that acknowledges what he said was true or false.

Even if it only takes a billionth of a milisecond to figure out he was lieing its still a period of time during which he told a lie and not the truth.

wasnt hard was it :)

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Plurp on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:30 am

So it's not really a paradox, his nose will just grow because he's telling a lie (keeping in mind the growth time of the nose)

Plurp
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Chicago Jones
STEAM_0:1:7361818

Postby Wizav on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Yeah if there is no acknowledgement between true or false before the nose grows, It assumes his nose or the curse already knew he was lieing before he even finished the sentence. As it didnt have to think about what he said and distinguish it as true or false.

So either way you look at it he lies according to the nose and thus it grows then stops awaiting the next lie.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics