EU and Foreigner workers in England.

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: EU and Foreigner workers in England.

Postby Wizav on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:53 pm

So is your Quality of life = to you being happy?

Yes i like adventure and living for the moment. Bow n arrow , cutting knife and just going out into the wild building a home and just living life however you want to. We cannot live like that anymore, jeez cant even carry a knife anymore without ending up in prison.

We are forced into one path and one path only in this era. School>Work>Death. When your not asleep or at work your either sat in front of the TV , down the pub , social networking or other trivial routine crap.

Me and my girlfriend are saving up untill we have enough money in the bank then we are just going to travel and live on the go. Decent pair of trainers , Good backpack and take it one country at a time and make it last as long as possible hopefully it will never end, thats what i consider quality of life.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby EWJ on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I think that's an excellent plan for life. Really do. Hope it all works out for you. :) Feeling a bit jealous tbh.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Wizav on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:01 pm

Point being in the medieval period that was daily life pretty much. Didnt need money , passports , reasons for entering or leaving places etc etc

Could just wake up one morning in oxford and decide to go on a 2 week adventure upto york with some friends , camping and hunting along the way or maybe ending up on a different adventure altogether. Every single day being completely different with new experiences and doing different things.

I guess my quality of life comes from not knowing what i'll be doing next week , year year or even in 10 years.

Thats not the case atm i know exactly what im doing week in and week out and im sure everyone else knows exactly what they will be doing in 1 year , 2 years etc. It's kind of depressing and kills the excitement of living life.

I guess i want a life like an mmorpg character , Fantasy monsters and such not included ofcourse. Just general going out into the wild and collecting stuff and hunting coming back and trading with the merchants and getting some new epic hunting gear from the smith, Everyday a new adventure.

If i could trade this world for Middle earth , Azeroth , Medieval period of any similar place id be there in a flash, wouldnt even need to think about it. Even if when i die i have a choice between Heaven and middle earth im going to middle earth, Infact i regular hope thats the case lol a man can dream eh?

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Flawless on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:10 pm

The word warped preception comes into my head.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Wizav on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:38 pm

why is that flawless?

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Flawless on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:47 pm

While I often think running around a battlefield swing an axe into someones head would be awesome, I also know it probably wasn't like that. It was probably gruesome at the best of times (in comparison to now) and probably not as good as you think it would be. Ofcourse this is all assuming we have knowledge of the future, if you where born back then you'd probably be saying the same as the dark ages and whatnot :p
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby FunkySpider on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:52 pm

Peasants of the medieval period where nothing more then indentured servants who where virtually owned by the lord or baron who owned the land they lived on. They didn't need passports as they were not allowed to move about and the technology at the time didn't really allow for long range travel or migration. These were dark times where the church held and increasing amount of power over an ignorant and unhealthy population. These people believed in superstitions and died of old age at 34. These were not the free, down to earth times you have romantic visions of. There were unhealthy, vicious and downright ugly times to be living in. I am thankful I live in a more enlightened time, many of you disagree but i feel we are all very lucky to be living today and really have no idea the hardships past generations have gone through.
UKCS Forum Moderator
Sig by Fooligan
-You know what they say about love and war.
-Yeah, one of them involves a large amount of physical and psychological pain and the other's war.
FunkySpider
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: FunkySpider
STEAM_0:1:7995481

Postby Wizav on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:10 am

Well the only real difference between battle then and battle now are the weapons and tactics. And in some cases modern warfare is just as gruesome if not more so with shrapnel damage and explosions etc.

As for wanting to live in the dark ages etc its not much different. Not alot changed from 0 AD to 1500 AD really at least it wasnt so drastic as Medieval period compared to modern period.

If you compare for instance the greeks and sparta in 1000 BC to the romans in 300 BC-700 AD and Kingdom of england 1066 AD there's not alot of huge differences between the 3.

Peasants of the medieval period where nothing more then indentured servants who where virtually owned by the lord or baron who owned the land they lived on. They didn't need passports as they were not allowed to move about and the technology at the time didn't really allow for long range travel or migration

Its not like the baron's could keep track of you tho is it. Even if you traveled for 50 miles in any direction the chances of him finding you would of been remote. And since when have we needed technology for long range travel, all technology provides is speed.

It cant be that bad. Many tribes all around the world today have the option to live a modern live but prefer not to. The Maasai tribes in africa are a good example and from what ive seen of them they are some of the happiest people ive seen and have great mental health.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Bobbobthebob on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:23 am

You're harking back to a time that never really existed. Chances are you would be born into a serf's family. Provided you made it past the famines and diseases in your childhood you would have crippling taxes to pay to the local baron with no welfare, no support, no education and no democracy. You wouldn't have much opportunity to hunt (many woods being exclusive hunting grounds for the aristocracy) and you'd be surprised at how meagre wild food is.

This is as good as it's got so far. You went to school, you got vaccinations, you can vote, you were never starving. It is possible to switch off and drop out for a while and stretch it as long as possible but the world would stop if everyone did that and we'd be back at square one. There are too many people on this planet to support a hunter-gatherer existence for everyone. Believe me, I'd love to do it too, I spend my weekends out in the woods or marshes watching wildlife or occasionally out on the hills doing stupid things on rocks. But it's only given me more of an understanding of how much we've impacted our environment and how much has been lost.

PS, the Masai haven't exactly had it alright. They're quite marginalised in Kenya now and they've always been tied to their cattle. Nor were they independent of normal farming; they were well known for bullying pastoral farmers. You can imagine what it's like if you're eking out a living in Africa, pre-European contact without modern efficient farming techniques when a bunch of 6'+ blokes with spears turn up and ask for food.
I'm not trying to crap on them about it, but romantic visions of one group of people just places them on a pedestal that doesn't necessarily reflect the truth. People are basically the same everywhere, they do nice things and love each other and still do nasty things to others. The concept of the noble savage is just a beautiful lie.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby *sketch on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:42 am

And finally there is one big thing wrong with your dream of living in a medieval time. Those damn foreigners (the french) come in and take everything over :P
*sketch
Experienced Member

Player: *sketch
STEAM_0:0:7407608

Postby Bobbobthebob on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am

ooooh that one's contentious! If we're talking Henry V's reign it's the other way round :P
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Wizav on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:50 am

And finally there is one big thing wrong with your dream of living in a medieval time. Those damn foreigners (the french) come in and take everything over

9000 norman's came and William the conquerer became king. Nothing changed he kept everything english to keep the population happy as 9000 norman nobles dont have much chance against 2 million angry englishmen.

Technically they are norman not french but neways.

We owned the french for the following 1000 years so im sure i'd cope :)

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Bobbobthebob on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:16 am

Wizav wrote:9000 norman's came and William the conquerer became king. Nothing changed he kept everything english to keep the population happy as 9000 norman nobles dont have much chance against 2 million angry englishmen.

Technically they are norman not french but neways.

We owned the french for the following 1000 years so im sure i'd cope :)

Except the reason that English is a weird pidgin of Romance and Germanic languages is because of the Norman conquests. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_la ... rd_origins
For quite a long time the kings of England didn't even speak English. Heck, Richard the Lionheart couldn't speak English. It's also partly why subsequent English kings were laying claim to the French crown for so many years. Our histories are heavily intertwined.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Templar+ on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:21 am

wow didnt realize we had a mongrel language.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby oodle doodle on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:50 am

There is so much bad history in here I don't know where to begin! So I wont, I'm just gonna wander off and continue to bring sexy back.

*brings sexy back*

But to say that not much changed in 1500 years despite going through several different religions is madness. Also the entire country was formed as the romans combined the land of the feuding tribal leaders. And and and..... meh. I'm assuming you mean in the lives of the general people not much changed. Perhaps not in the pace that we see culture changing today, but life still moved on at a pace.

*wanders off*

And the language is awesome, I can see why Steven Fry loves it. Its really interesting to me that alot of swear words are derived from Celtic. Celtic was seen as the 'bad' language so to speak. This is why most swears sound similar, short sharp four letters words. Celtic you know. Or at least derived from.

*wanders off again*
pewpew
oodle doodle
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: oodle doodle
STEAM_0:1:4921455

Postby EWJ on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:25 am

Hence why the Celtic nations..Ireland,Wales and the Scots... can turn the world blue in about 3 secs. :D
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Xhiea on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm

i think wizav has been watching too much robin hood...

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby Wizav on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:10 pm

William marshal is my favourite medieval character. He will be in the next robin hood film funnily enough as its about Robin's life in the army.

But no my reasons for liking the period does not come from watching movies.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Mr Tortoise on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:49 pm

pmfg

this thread is hilarious.

People saying we had it better a few hunderd years ago yet not havnig a clue about history (because none of us do when you stop to think about it - we dont even have a clue about whats going on in current events really and ever piece of evidence we find shows that history is ercordd in a distorted way for politicial reasons.).

'It was better when i was a lad' ... doesnt ork because people older than you are still aliver to correct you ... so now you go even further back?

W have more frredom now than ever before - 400 years ago id be about due to die ... at 30.

There are more people alive now than there have been in the history of man ....

I thinkt he whole concept of a nation is simply a political construct to allow effective administration.
Get out of your 400 year old dead concept and grow with the world, not with what you are taught but what you can see.

'Robins life in the army' - s another good factual account? Lets hope they usde a map this time whilst figuring out the timings.

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mr Tortoise
STEAM_0:1:5538686

Postby Wizav on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:09 pm

I dont recall anyone saying people as a whole had it better. Looks more like personal preferences from where im sitting.

Not everybody alive wants to live in this era. Some people wanna go live in the time of the egyptians , some the romans , some the samurai etc some want to go into the future.

Life expectency and health has never stopped anyone joining the army. I wonder why that is?

'It was better when i was a lad' ... doesnt ork because people older than you are still aliver to correct you ... so now you go even further back?

Most people older than me think the 60's 70's and 80's were the best they have not corrected me. But thats completly off the point. Living in medieval or ancient period's is a completely different lifestyle alltogether.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Thinkers Topics