'Trojan horse' Cancer Treatment

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

'Trojan horse' Cancer Treatment

Postby CraKinShOt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am

=========================================================================
Australian scientists kill cancer cells with "trojan horse"

By Michael Perry

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian scientists have developed a "trojan horse" therapy to combat cancer, using a bacterially-derived nano cell to penetrate and disarm the cancer cell before a second nano cell kills it with chemotherapy drugs.

The "trojan horse" therapy has the potential to directly target cancer cells with chemotherapy, rather than the current treatment that sees chemotherapy drugs injected into a cancer patient and attacking both cancer and healthy cells.

Sydney scientists Dr Jennifer MacDiarmid and Dr Himanshu Brahmbhatt, who formed EnGenelC Pty Ltd in 2001, said they had achieved 100 percent survival in mice with human cancer cells by using the "trojan horse" therapy in the past two years.

The scientists plan to start human clinical trials in the coming months. Human trials of the cell delivery system will start next week at the Peter MacCullum Cancer Center at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and The Austin at the University of Melbourne.

The therapy, published in the latest Nature Biotechnology journal, sees mini-cells called EDVs (EnGenelC Delivery Vehicle) attach and enter the cancer cell.

The first wave of mini-cells release ribonucleic acid molecules, called siRNA, which switch off the production of proteins that make the cancer cell resistant to chemotherapy.

A second wave of EDV cells is then accepted by the cancer cell and releases chemotherapy drugs, killing the cancer cell.

"The beauty is that our EDVs operate like 'Trojan Horses' They arrive at the gates of the affected cells and are always allowed in," said MacDiarmid.

"We are playing the rogue cells at their own game. They switch-on the gene to produce the protein to resist drugs, and we are switching-off the gene which, in turn, enables the drugs to enter."

DISARMING TUMOUR CELLS

RNA interference, or RNAi, is designed to silence genes responsible for producing disease-causing proteins and is one of the hottest areas of biotechnology research. RNA was the basis of the 2006 Nobel Prize in medicine.

Dozens of biotechnology companies are looking for ways to manipulate RNA to block genes that produce disease-causing proteins involved in cancer, blindness or AIDS.

Brahmbhatt said that after treatment with conventional drug therapy, a large number of cancer cells die but a small percentage of the cells can produce proteins that make cancer cells resistant to chemotherapeutic drugs.

"Consequently, follow-up drug treatments can fail. The tumors thus become untreatable and continue to flourish, ultimately killing the patient," said Brahmbhatt.

"We want to be part of moving toward a time when cancers can be managed as a chronic disease rather than being regarded as a death sentence," he said.

The Nature report said the mini-cells were "well tolerated with no adverse side effects or deaths in any of the actively treated animals, despite repeated dosing."

"Significantly, our methodology does not damage the normal cells and is applicable to a wide spectrum of solid cancer types," said MacDiarmid.

"The hope is that the benign nature of this EDV technology should enable cancer sufferers to get on with their lives and operate normally using out-patient therapy."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE55 ... 628?rpc=64

=========================================================================

Certainly, a far better way of treating cancer. Will be interesting to see if they get 100% success in humans. True they've treated human cancers which have been injected into mice. But human immune system is difficult and we're prone to becoming resistant to foreign bodies. Saying that, the fact these 'cells' are nano scale might mean human immune cannot detect or attack them.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Re: 'Trojan horse' Cancer Treatment

Postby Xerxes on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 am

That's an amzingly interesting article, thanks for posting :)

I read of another method for destroying cells a while back that involved injecting the patient with a dye that was only absorbed and retained by the cancerous tumour. Then the patient would be sujected to microwave frequencies (specific to the dye molecules) which cause the dye molecules to rapidly heat up and destroy the cancer cells.
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby EWJ on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 am

Lets hope the treatment(and testing) works.. sounds like man is fighting back against these diseases. :D
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Templar+ on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:05 am

bloody hell this is a massive leap for medical science, hope it works out well for humans.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby CraKinShOt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 am

Well the guy that did the work on the Cells originally got the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 2006.

I think the fact they use nano-sized cells will mean it should have a high chance of correlating with the earlier results. But its been said before, so we'll just have to wait and see if any problems arise in human patients. I'm sure once they've done their initial human study they'll want to roll it out as quickly as possible and get the follow up studies done as fast as possible.

I guess manufacture might be a problem though. Unless I am mistaken; they're manually making the cells?
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby BenJy! on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:28 am

What are the chances the cancerous cells develop an immunity or if the cells just perform metastasis?
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Excellent article which I found very interesting to read and the treatment is a real advancement in treatment for cancer.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby Safire on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:06 am

It's just amazing what humans can do, woah... I hope this works. Everyone I have loved and lost in my family (even my pets :() has died because of cancer - nothing else. It's horrible...
Safire
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Safire Join me for spooky UKCS!
STEAM_0:0:25015911

Postby Master Yoda on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:23 pm

I sometimes wonder if you should really get a cure for cancer. Cancer might the the natures way of keeping the human population at a lower rate.
I've lost nearly all my family in cancer, but maybe it was time for them to leave?

Good article though
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby Xhiea on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 am

Master Yoda wrote:I sometimes wonder if you should really get a cure for cancer. Cancer might the the natures way of keeping the human population at a lower rate.
I've lost nearly all my family in cancer, but maybe it was time for them to leave?

Good article though

some people get cancer very young, my friend's sister had leukaemia at the age of 10 and had to have a bone marrow transplant, was age 10 her time to die? i don't think so...

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby Master Yoda on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:53 am

You missed my point or maybe I failed to show it. No one should have to die young but ïf no one died we'd be fucked.
And yeah 10 years is not fair, a guy in my school died from cancer aswell so it's not fair at all, if think you all can understand that no one wants anyone to die in cancer.

I was just trying to show a different point of view than the usual "we must cure cancer". It will be awesome if we did but what will the side effects be?
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Postby CraKinShOt on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:14 pm

There are other ways to limit population and control population growth, which don't entail ending life. More pressure to have a maximum of 2 children is a good start and ending the ridiculous ban on using condoms by certain people.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Imperium [ESG] on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:42 pm

If nothing else Yoda, this opens up options..
funkymp: aww imperium sounds so cute for a cold-blooded killer
ev.ca††ish-Jesper: :( I hate you Imperium
Salva: IMP YOU GIT
Safire: Imp sounds so small and cute <3 bet he hates that
An Orange: Imperium is just too good

In response to TìMϦl4: Imperium is always funny. :3
Imperium [ESG]
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: [] Imperium
STEAM_0:0:20310476

Postby Master Yoda on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:59 pm

CraKinShOt wrote:There are other ways to limit population and control population growth, which don't entail ending life. More pressure to have a maximum of 2 children is a good start and ending the ridiculous ban on using condoms by certain people.

This is good :)
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Return to Thinkers Topics