Australia seeks new army robots

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Australia seeks new army robots

Postby BenJy! on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 am

By Phil Mercer
BBC News, Sydney

An Australian soldier in Afghanistan. File photo
Australia wants to build a robot that can replace soldiers in war zones

Australia has launched a multi-million dollar competition to build a new generation of military robots.

The winning design must help soldiers fight by remote control in urban combat zones, defence officials say.

The aim is to reduce casualties in urban areas where fighting is unpredictable and treacherous.

The competition is being run by Australia's Defence Science and Technology Organisation in partnership with the US military.

'Dirty work'

The government wants to develop an "intelligent and fully autonomous system" capable of carrying out dangerous surveillance missions.

Senior officials in Canberra have said they hope that unarmed robotic vehicles will do some of the army's "dirty work" in such hazardous theatres.

The ultimate plan is for groups of these sophisticated machines to be sent into battle to help neutralise the enemy.

Research grants of $1.6m (£984,000) have been offered in this joint Australian and American competition. Five shortlisted applicants will be invited to present their ideas at a Land Warfare Conference in Brisbane in November next year.

Before they get to that stage they will have to prove that their prototypes can do the job at a defence base in South Australia, where they will be judged by an international panel of military experts.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8149043.stm

Would be the Aussies who create Skynet wouldn't it! :lol:
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Re: Australia seeks new army robots

Postby FunkySpider on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:29 am

I swear I read somewhere that the US Army have created a similar project initially designed for border control, capable of carrying the M249 Machine Gun and a accuracy of 500m. Scary future...
UKCS Forum Moderator
Sig by Fooligan
-You know what they say about love and war.
-Yeah, one of them involves a large amount of physical and psychological pain and the other's war.
FunkySpider
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: FunkySpider
STEAM_0:1:7995481

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 am

us army are starting to use automated systems like hammer turrents on vehicles and robot sentries like you mentioned funky.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby fixxxer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:06 pm

:shock:

WANT!

fixxxer
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ChrisG
STEAM_0:0:5048751

Postby Conan on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:31 pm

us army are starting to use automated systems like hammer turrents

I hear they look like this...

(Apologies for poor shoppery skillz, only used it twice)

Edit: Added in a taliban engi.

LEE ATWATER wrote:sometimes you eat the coconut and at other times it falls on your head and makes you cry
Conan
Experienced Member

Player: Fool
STEAM_0:0:13736282

Postby Wizav on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 pm

I swear I read somewhere that the US Army have created a similar project initially designed for border control, capable of carrying the M249 Machine Gun and a accuracy of 500m. Scary future

I watched discovery channel science programe about future inventions etc and i see something very similar thats already full funtional and operational.

It was a boat armed with 50. cal machine gun turret , Video feeds and Microphone and it ran on solar cells and battery so it can stay patrolling for upto 2 years before returning to dock.

Currently there operated by men in control room the boats drive around the coast on there own and once they spot an unknown vessel it approches and lets the operater know. He them speaks to the boat through the onboard microphone speaker and asks them to inditifie themselfs etc etc. If they try to escape or dont respond the operater can blow up the boat from his controll room back in the mainland.

Neways towards the end it said there currently working on some AI for the boats so no people are needed and they make decisions for themselfs.

I imagine they are using the exact same system for land border patrols like what you mentioned.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Templar+ on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Bagsy being commander of the resistance!
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby windowmaker on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:08 pm

an Australian army of robots?

hmmm...

windowmaker
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: WindowMaker
STEAM_0:1:6784095

Postby shadow on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:04 am

terminator anyone?

a UKCS oldtimer... risen from the grave
shadow

Player: Shadow
STEAM_0:0:538774

Postby Mr Tortoise on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:54 pm

ofc not time travel is impossible

besides people are too clever and have all the necessary safety checks in place ... naturally

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mr Tortoise
STEAM_0:1:5538686

Postby colossuss on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Number 5, is alive?

'
'
colossuss
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colossuss
STEAM_0:1:20166590

Postby GazNET on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Short Circuit is one of my favourite movies ever! :D
Sector Clear!
www.gaznet.com
GazNET
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: GazNET
STEAM_0:0:2825642

Postby fooligan on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 am

i believe its possible, though id just drop in some MK-110

remote controlled stationary gun, mostly used for naval combat atm, designed to make sure ships can handle any kind of threat, ammo can be programmed into 6 different modes, capable of 220rounds/min, range = 9 miles. its bullets can be piercing, hitting, explode above targets to make casualties without destroying, and some others. its built to withstand water-, air- and shorebased threats.
<3 meyenaise

Voting successful (got "7") (needed "6"). The result: which is correct - priests love dan
fooligan
Senior Admin

Player: Fooligan
STEAM_0:0:10272607

Postby EWJ on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 am

Irish navy (I think) have these on some ships...Also they auto aim and track targets so even in heavy sea's the gun constantly tracks the target even if lost from sight.... 8)
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby fooligan on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 am

most countries have started to put these on their newgen vessels. the usa even puts em on heavy duty coastguard ships :p
<3 meyenaise

Voting successful (got "7") (needed "6"). The result: which is correct - priests love dan
fooligan
Senior Admin

Postby Flare on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:47 pm

When wars become automated , war will become a simple game and the common people will be the ones who pay.

Its the cost in human lives that keeps the number of wars down, politicians dont want to be the one who starts a war where the nations soldiers die as the negitive feedback on the opinion polls will destroy any politicians career.
If wars become too automated, the costs in Soldiers lives will decrease but the cost in collateral damage and civilian casualities will increase.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby fooligan on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:12 pm

i don't believe that flare, at the moment every weapon research aims at making artillery, warheads, etc. smaller and more accurate, to avoid non military casualties. the israeli's have even invented a rocket that can hover above the target in case it needs to wait. the USA now have a guided rocket that can pierce 1m solid concrete to just destroy 1 room in an appartment complex, rather than having to blow up the whole thing. im in favor of the new evolution! it can't be much worse than a b52 carpetbombing your city
<3 meyenaise

fooligan
Senior Admin

Postby Flare on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 pm

None the less, if it gets too automated there will be more wars ... as I said currently its the cost in soldiers lives that prevent too many wars, no politician wants to initiate another Vietnam, or even a Somalia where one could of argued it was for a good cause (least no one could work out what the politicians would gain that I am aware of).
Now if you get more wars I doubt they will be fought in designated areas, the battles will be where they are now... in and around cities, and battles in cities ruin lives... even if they dont actually kill the person outright.

But I am speaking about if they go all the way and send in robotic infantry, and remote controlled tanks...etc etc.

Would be a stupid thing to do though... a bit of remote communication jamming, or hacking the control network of your automations, or even a EMP strong enough to get through basic shielding... or some other electronic frying area effective device.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Return to Thinkers Topics