1,000 CCTV cameras to solve just one crime, Met Police admit

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

1,000 CCTV cameras to solve just one crime, Met Police admit

Postby EWJ on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:05 pm

here

was only just talking yesterday to someone about how I thought CCTV camera's were not worth the money put into them. Putting more police on the streets is a more effective way of forcing down crime.

btw, I loved this
The Home Office defended the use of CCTV, with a spokesman saying cameras could "help communities feel safer".
.. so its just a perception to help you feel safe rather than actually being safe..
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Re: 1,000 CCTV cameras to solve just one crime, Met Police admit

Postby Unspecified on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:30 pm

The Police can use them to show you a grainy picture of the back of the person who just mugged you's head (well hoody) though. And you cant put a price on that!
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Mr Tortoise on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:37 pm

I like the comment about seccurley storing the data

That means tha the majority of cctv data is useless anyway.

I haven't really worked at a company that knows how to store hard disk data securley (with versioning). so i can;t imagine how companies manage their cctv

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mr Tortoise
STEAM_0:1:5538686

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 pm

It depends on whose security we are talking about, the police are already able to access camera footage, whereas the defence is made to jump through hoops and face delays to get even part of the footage.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby cerb on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:15 am

thats because the cameras werent meant to solve crimes, rather get one step closer to big brother. :roll:
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080654

Postby Wizav on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Our Town recently got fitted with CCTV mainly infront of the nightclub and it has stopped fights brewing outside and just general crime in that part of town. Used to be very bad before CCTV got installed.

However... All people do now is wait untill there down the road where there is no CCTV before they start fighting or causing trouble. I think CCTV makes the area's they cover alot safer but for them to work effectively enough you practically need every square metre of land covered.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Mr Tortoise on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 am

cerb wrote:thats because the cameras werent meant to solve crimes, rather get one step closer to big brother. :roll:

eh?

Are you saying the defence shouldn;t be able to get the fottage easily?

I don;t think you understand the nature of the legal system ... people are innocent until proven guilty. Just wait until you get the police trying to convict you of something you didnt do.

Anyway the point is that the evidence from them will probably be inadmissable for an unreasonably high cost.

Yeah my town got cctv camera outside the clubs ... now they drag people into the side alley and kick the shit out of them there.

IE Now rather than fights starting where there are doormen to break it up the fights start in the middle of nowhere ... that is such a dramatic improvement and makes me feel so much safer.

Gee thanks mr cctv man.

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Postby White Dove on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 am

Doorstaff aren't there to break up street fights and stick to roads that have camera coverage. Get a taxi from outside the club rather than walking down side streets.
White Dove
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Gumball
STEAM_0:0:9972896

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 am

Good idea in theory, not in practice, plus the fact if someone decides to go on somewhere else locally, catch a train etc, then they will walk. Its all very well trying to decide on this in a sober state, but as we all know, when people are far from sober, they make rash decisions :P

It depends on the night club, but some may call the police if they see someone getting the crap beaten out of them, and sometimes a passer by would do so. So pushing someone into a side alley to kick the hell out of them would not be a spontaneous act, but be pre-meditated. This kind of act would take place regardless of cameras being there or not.

Cameras, if used in the right way can detect acts of violence and should not be used as evidence imo, since a camera cannot hear what is going on, The interpretation of any event is left open to the viewer and the way that viewer portrays an event, which is why the police and legal system delay a defence getting such film. By law, if you push someone, you are committing an offence of assault, this without any blows taking place. A camera would see you as the instigator, whereas in actual fact you could be in the process of defending yourself by staving off a planned attack against you. Such footage could be used in court to convict you of a crime, that was niether there nor intended.

Even more cameras would make absolutely no difference, other than to actual crimes, whereby the person charged, could be, by way of other evidence, be proved to be guilty.

The justice system, in the UK at least, is purported to say innocent until proven guilty, but the reality is far different, a person is taken to be guilty by all parties, until proven innocent. Even defence solicitors/barristers take this approach, unless they can absolutely prove without a shadow of doubt you are innocent, and they would rather try to broker a deal with the prosecution, than to honestly try to defend someone. I tend to think this is why the courts themselves take more of a lenient approach, because they know there is some shadow of doubt, that the pre-legal system, ie prior to getting to court, is absolutely riddled with lazy bums, that cannot do the work.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Mr Tortoise on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:58 am

I know they are not there to break up fights ... but id rather someon decided to pick a fight with me in front of them than a mile down the road where there is nobody watching or able to do anything.

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Return to Thinkers Topics