Britain's most unhygienic city

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Britain's most unhygienic city

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:56 am

MSN NEWS wrote:Image
As swine flu continues to spread across Britain, and indeed the world, the government has tried to emphasise just how important good cleanliness is. It is a message that appears not to have made an impact in Bristol.

As part of National Hand Hygiene Awareness Week, Wet Ones carried out a poll of 4,000 adults to look at the nation's washing habits.

The poll found that Bristol is the most unhygienic city in Britain. Those living in the city go the longest without washing their hands. According to the poll Bristolians failed to give their hands a good scrub with soap and water for nearly 38 hours straight.

That's the equivalent of dodging the soap for almost two full days, with several opting for a 'quick rinse under the tap' as a viable alternative.

The news that some people will go nearly two days without washing their hands is especially shocking because of the global swine flu outbreak. The virus can be spread through direct contact, so the need for better personal hygiene is crucial.

Professor Lindsey Davies, National Director of Pandemic Flu Preparedness at the Department of Health said: "Helping to stop the spread of flu is easy - covering your nose and mouth with tissues when you cough and sneeze, throwing the tissue away and cleaning your hands really helps prevent the virus spreading.

"The message is simple - catch it, bin it, kill it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, after only 4,000 Adults, they managed to work out that in the WHOLE of Britain they have managed to work out that Bristol is the most unhygienic city. This sounds like it should of been done on a larger scale since the few adults they found in Bristol could just be unhygienic as a habit.
Bloody wouldn't catch me like that as a person, I have 1 sometimes 2 showers a day. I change my clothes as often as regular people change their boxers/pants/panties or god knows whatever else underwear you people wear and sometimes going through 2 shirts and jeans in a day. I also know a friend that is the same as me.
The adults that have been asked to state how "clean" they are have let me and my city down...I want them named and shamed so I can get them in a stock and throw a bar of soap at their heads.

Also, Did a quick round up to see the rundown....

Newslite wrote:Second worst was Edinburgh - where people avoid washing their hands for 37 hours and 12 minutes.
Followed by Norwich citizens with 33 and a half hours, in third.

The fourth worst city for soap dodgers was Wolverhampton, with Belfast completing the bottom five.

Meanwhile, York was hailed as the clean-hand capital most frequently - within 19 hours, with nearly eight in 10 always using soap.

So Yorkies. Take pride, apperently you're the most hygienic city in Britian. Meanwhile as you guys already know, Bristol is Britains worst :<
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Re: Britain's most unhygienic city

Postby BenJy! on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:06 pm

The Scottish wash themselves in Persil and power with AJAX, they're that hardcore.
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby cowboyfromhell on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm

It does seem like they took a statistically insignificant sample from each city for it to be considered an accurate statement to make.

That being said I don't think it would be difficult to find 4000 people in Bristol who never wash. :P
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Postby bigbmxdave on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:16 am

if they used adults from 100 cities, thats 40 people per city, which without doing the maths I was taught at uni seems like a resonable size. Unless we see the maths behind these sample sizes and results the "sample size wasnt big enough" argument is kinda petty.

bigbmxdave
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Dave the Medic
STEAM_0:1:3639854

Postby Brick on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:06 am

hygien is over rated, anyone notice the upward trend of allergies and shit, which most professionals put down to over clenliness, strong immune system is bread by being dirty, (does not condone playing with dirty neddles)
<--- PUSS IN BOOTS -- Died :(
Brick
Home Member

Player: Brick
STEAM_0:1:434114

Postby Flawless on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:13 am

Theres a difference between being OCD clean, and hygenic...
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:45 am

bigbmxdave wrote:Unless we see the maths behind these sample sizes and results the "sample size wasnt big enough" argument is kinda petty.

Not if you all get the right to call me a dirty Bristolian because of 40 people in a city that has a population of Half a million people (Roughly 0.008% of the city.).
Also you got other factors like, If you take details of 40 people in ONE city, then do the same in another, the population of the two citys are going to be different and therefore you be questioning MORE of the population then the other even though your asking the same amount of people in each. It sounds poorly done and I refuse to think as a city we are unhygienic simply beacause of a small amount of questioning. If they did a bigger poll then I would happily accept what is being said, Sadly, They have only asked 4000 people in the WHOLE of Britain.
Me personally reckon that means it is not in any way accurate...
/Bristolian Fanboyism Rant
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Sh00rs1gn on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:10 pm

if they took a sample of 4000 from each city then maybe I'd be swayed by this.
But still, I don't necessarily believe that bristol is the most unhygenic city in england. I mean come on, 4000 people questioned in the entirety of england? pff, whatever.
I'm well liked among the community
Awww yeaaaaaah...
Sh00rs1gn
UKCS Admin

Player: Sh00rs1gn
STEAM_0:0:1216228

Postby Mr Tortoise on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:35 pm

i nver scrub my hands

i never use soap either

guess that makes me evil

Mr Tortoise