Aurora over Uk and ireland..

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Aurora over Uk and ireland..

Postby EWJ on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:36 pm

everyone look north after midnight.. huge solar flare may..and I say may create AURORA over Ireland and the UK....

omg.. who needs to go to the north pole...

On August 1, 2010, scientists at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), using images taken from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, observed a series of four large CMEs emanating from the Earth-facing hemisphere. At an observed velocity varying between 670,560 m/s and 1,118,000 m/s (meters per second), they were expected to strike the Earth's geomagnetic field sometime between August 4 and early August 5. As of 05:00 UTC August 4, the estimated time of arrival of the series was as follows:

* Wednesday, August 4 – 07:00 UTC
* Wednesday, August 4 – 17:00 UTC
* Thursday, August 5 – 00:00 UTC
* Thursday, August 5 – 06:00 UTC[8]

All four were described as large and, according to scientists, possessed enough energy to cause aurorae to be observed by the naked eye in non-polar regions.[9] According to reports, aurorae would be visible at night toward the northern horizon in temperate latitudes between 45° to 50°, and near overhead in regions farther north.[10] The initial CME was generated by the eruption of August 1 named Sunspot 1092, which was big enough to be seen without the aid of a solar telescope.[11] Aside from the visual effects of the CME series, scientists also fear that electric impulses caused by disruptions in the magnetic field due to the ionized particles may damage infrastructure such as power grids and telephone lines not adequately protected against induced magnetic current. It has also been reported that several Earth-orbiting satellites may be in similar danger.[9] According to Leon Golub, an astronomer at CfA:

This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on August 4. It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time. When such an expulsion reaches Earth, it interacts with the planet's magnetic field and can create a geomagnetic storm. Solar particles stream down the field lines toward Earth's poles. Those particles crash with atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere, which then glow like little neon signs. Sky watchers in the northern U.S. and other countries should look toward the north late Tuesday or early Wednesday for rippling "curtains" of green and red light.[12]

In the early morning hours of August 4, 2010 aurorae began to become visible at latitudes as far south as Oregon and Wisconsin in the United States (see right). The aurorae were reportedly green in color due to the interaction of the solar particles with oxygen atoms in the relatively denser atmosphere of southern latitudes[13]. The "spectacular" light show continued for several hours before fading into the light of early morning. This however, is but the first wave of plasma with the third and last expected to produce further auroral disturbances at similar latitudes during the evening of August 5.[14]
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Re: Aurora over Uk and ireland..

Postby DeanX on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:39 pm

i hope so, im staying up for this. was reading about it yesterday
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby KaTTa on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Cool, I miss winter so I can see northern lights too :(
KaTTa
Home Member

Player: KaTTa
STEAM_0:0:25459580

Postby Xhiea on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:40 pm

hove is so hilly, and i am at the bottom of a hill so there is no way i will be able to see the north horizon line, especially without massive light pollution from the motorway...

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby UK_sniper on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 pm

too cloudy down here in essex. plus probably too far south to see anything :(

boo
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby sarie on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 am

Did anyone see anything?

sarie
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Sarie
STEAM_0:1:10848049

Postby windowmaker on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 am

sadly nothing here, and i live on a northern facing coastline :(

windowmaker
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: WindowMaker
STEAM_0:1:6784095

Postby Love Muffin on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:37 pm

UK_sniper wrote:too cloudy down here in essex. plus probably too far south to see anything :(

boo

Ya I didn't see anything either :(

STEAM_0:0:5223960
Liverpool FC
"It's a love story, baby just say yes"

Feel free to add me on Steam
PSN: HoinkDoink

UKCS Facebook
#Banter

-Daztec
Love Muffin
Experienced Member