Are we the Only Life Form(s) in the Whole Universe?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Are we the Only Life Form(s) in the Whole Universe?

Postby RazeRipz! on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:40 am

Note: I know we have had a Thread like this: A "POTW". But i would like to see more of peoples reviews.

I know i'm not as well educated as you lot and i'm sure you lot know more about this than i do. But still I'm trying to get the sense to understand if there is more life in this universe. Because tbh that would be a massive waste of space/energy if we are the only living beings in the whole universe. I am now trying to experience more evidence to how/why there is more Life Forms in the Universe. But i wondered if you guys could help me further.

My comment:
Funny thing is. The aliens coped with light years of space travel, blistering gases, extreme temperatures, thousands of meteors, black holes, solar wind and our own trusty ozone layer... (as well as discovering an unlimited supply of fuel for their invincible UFO)

But they failed to swerve out of the way of a wind turbine..

Ah well, better luck next time!

Chuck Norris? :P
RazeRipz!
Experienced Member

Player: Special Agent | BLAZEY ™
STEAM_0:0:12636728

Re: Are we the Only Life Form(s) in the Whole Universe?

Postby Xhiea on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:00 am

The universe is trillions and quadrillions of lightyears big, there statistically should be another planet out there with life on. But the chance of those life forms coming to this planet, very slim.

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby Odgor on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:16 am

Last edited by Odgor on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odgor
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Odgor
STEAM_0:1:17427693

Postby RazeRipz! on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:48 am

But the only Fault of that Video is that: It's in a different Location and it looks setup. By the looks of it things, that Wind Turbine got completely demolished compared to the one that i had posted and it still leaves you with a mystery. Where as the one you posted it has video coverage of it actually being destroyed, though it had more damage to it obviously. But if the video that i posted had shown an actual UFO hit the Wind Turbine, this whole Thread would be set out in a whole different context. :D
RazeRipz!
Experienced Member

Postby Rico on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 am

RazeRipz! wrote:if we are the only living beings in the whole universe.

We're not. I'm looking at a cat, even as I type.
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773

Postby RazeRipz! on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Rico, you know what i mean. If you don't, then i mean life as is out of the ordinary. A strange development of life that has not been known to mankind. Though what i mean is, its the Evidence from scientists who gather that information from technology to find Extra terrestrial living beings. This is how we know and find out our understandings on this topic today!
RazeRipz!
Experienced Member

Postby WAR on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Rico wrote:

NO FCKING WAY MAN!
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Postby KaTTa on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Rico wrote:

Haha rofl :lol:

Serious, as a big fan of X-Files I think that we are not alone out there.
KaTTa
Home Member

Player: KaTTa
STEAM_0:0:25459580

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Isn't there some scientific law of averages or something that says statistically speaking we cant be alone?
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Wizav on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:13 pm

The universe is trillions and quadrillions of lightyears big, there statistically should be another planet out there with life on. But the chance of those life forms coming to this planet, very slim.

It's not that big lol , What we can currently see is 156 billion light years across.

To put that into perspective you would have to travel at 671 million miles per hour for 156 billion years to travel across the universe, still pretty big heh :D

Isn't there some scientific law of averages or something that says statistically speaking we cant be alone?

The Drake equation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

There's also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox which argues against stuff like the Drake equation.

Im confident life exists elsewhere but i dont think there are any super advanced life forms with warp space travel etc. I think thats science fiction. Most forms of intelligent life will most likely have similar technology to humans if not a bit more advanced. But nothing like we see in the movies.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby cerb on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Wizav wrote:Im confident life exists elsewhere but i dont think there are any super advanced life forms with warp space travel etc. I think thats science fiction. Most forms of intelligent life will most likely have similar technology to humans if not a bit more advanced. But nothing like we see in the movies.

statistically speaking, as long as you havent learned of all other life forms in the universe, human beings are on the exact middle of the range of advancement. theres a 50% chance of any one life form being smarter, or more primitive than us.
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080654

Postby Wizav on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:16 am

statistically speaking, as long as you havent learned of all other life forms in the universe, human beings are on the exact middle of the range of advancement. theres a 50% chance of any one life form being smarter, or more primitive than us.

I agree with that when it comes to intelligence but not so much technology. I think technology has a realistic and fairly easy to reach cap and i doulbt it takes more than a few thousand years to reach it from the point you first start advancing. I think humans will know everything about sub-atomic particles , physics , thermodynamics , gravity , relativity etc in the next 1-2 thousand years.

I think we already know enough about physics and thermodynamics to understand what type of technology is possible and it doesnt matter how intelligent you are or how long you have been advancing your technology has to abide by the rules of the universe. There's a bottleneck if you will and intelligence wont get you past it.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Xhiea on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:41 am

Don't be pedantic wizav you know what I meant.

Technology would have a cap I agree, but what is to say that we haven't just brushed the surface when it comes to technology? There is a limit to human intelligence, another life form more intelligent may be able to exploit further understanding and create far superior technology.

Need help with signature text?

>>watch my video tutorial for help!<<
Xhiea
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xhiea is crap at css
STEAM_0:0:5403780

Postby UK_sniper on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:54 am

aliens havent visited earth... if they did do u think they'd be all sneaky like, picking up people who couldnt outwit a jellyfish or just show up where people are walking their dog conviently with a camera?

on this planet we are currently alone, in the solar system yes probably the only planet with life. the only exceptions are Mars and Europa which could contain basic microbial life...

in our galaxy, the odds are that there must be life else where. whether its as advanced as us is another matter

in the universe. 99.99% likely.
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby Master Yoda on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Ofcourse we're not alone! The universe is so enormous that there has to be life forms somewhere else. But as Xhiea said, we won't ever come in contact with them to be honest.
The distance is soo big, and the time it has existed is so long that new and old life forms may very well have died several times during the time we were still bacteria swimming in the water..
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby n0rd on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Master Yoda wrote:Ofcourse we're not alone! The universe is so enormous that there has to be life forms somewhere else. But as Xhiea said, we won't ever come in contact with them to be honest.
The distance is soo big, and the time it has existed is so long that new and old life forms may very well have died several times during the time we were still bacteria swimming in the water..

Well said! :+1:
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby Glitch on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:47 pm

The universe is about 13.7 billion years old. Light reaching us from the earliest known galaxies has been travelling, therefore, for more than 13 billion years. So one might assume that the radius of the universe is 13.7 billion light-years and that the whole shebang is double that, or 27.4 billion light-years wide.

But the universe has been expanding ever since the beginning of time, when theorists believe it all sprang forth from an infinitely dense point in a Big Bang.

"All the distance covered by the light in the early universe gets increased by the expansion of the universe," explains Neil Cornish, an astrophysicist at Montana State University. "Think of it like compound interest."

Need a visual? Imagine the universe just a million years after it was born, Cornish suggests. A batch of light travels for a year, covering one light-year. "At that time, the universe was about 1,000 times smaller than it is today," he said. "Thus, that one light-year has now stretched to become 1,000 light-years."

All the pieces add up to 78 billion-light-years. The light has not traveled that far, but "the starting point of a photon reaching us today after travelling for 13.7 billion years is now 78 billion light-years away," Cornish said. That would be the radius of the universe, and twice that -- 156 billion light-years -- is the diameter. That's based on a view going 90 percent of the way back in time, so it might be slightly larger.

source: Space.com

If there's no other lifeform in the universe that's 156 billion light years wide... then I'm Santa.
Last edited by Glitch on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch
Home Member

Player: Nyacide Green
STEAM_0:1:25203245

Postby EWJ on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:49 pm

oh hai Santa..where's my damn bike?
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Glitch on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 pm

You were too naughty last year!

... wait.. oh darn you! :x
Glitch
Home Member

Player: Nyacide Green
STEAM_0:1:25203245

Postby Deathtaker27 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:00 pm

if we are alone, i hope that they never do come here, we are a violent race and i would not want to inflict that on anyone else ever.
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics