Are we the Only Life Form(s) in the Whole Universe?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: Are we the Only Life Form(s) in the Whole Universe?

Postby coldandtired on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I always love the conspiracy theorist's explanation that the government 'hushes things up'.

Can't really comment on many of the EU governments, but trusting the US or UK ones to keep secrets that only they know about for many decades without anyone else (except the conspiracy theorists of course) finding out or noticing is attributing god-like powers to people well known for leaving laptops on metros and spending millions building things that don't work, etc.

I feel like I've posted this somewhere else recently, so if it's the same thing I wrote two pages back I blame it on being tired. :)
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Wizav on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 am

coldandtired wrote:I always love the conspiracy theorist's explanation that the government 'hushes things up'.

Can't really comment on many of the EU governments, but trusting the US or UK ones to keep secrets that only they know about for many decades without anyone else (except the conspiracy theorists of course) finding out or noticing is attributing god-like powers to people well known for leaving laptops on metros and spending millions building things that don't work, etc.

I feel like I've posted this somewhere else recently, so if it's the same thing I wrote two pages back I blame it on being tired. :)

Governments keeping secrets from the public is a 100% certainty, What kind of secrets they keep is anyone's guess. It's impossible to know what's true or not until the government outright admits to it. Most conspiracy theories are insane and have little chance of being true but some are plausible.

Ironically the easiest way for the government to keep secrets secret is label people that speak about them conspiracy theorists and people automatically dismiss anything they have to say.

When you look at stuff like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods 9/11 doesn't sound so crazy. Do a search for proven conspiracy theories on google, you'll be surprised at what the government can keep hidden from the public

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Binerexis on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:04 pm

The secrets they kept WERE anyone's guess until the government agreed to make everything freely available X amount of years after the event.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby lambnut on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Well if you havent got it yet, its to strike us where it hurt us the most, the world economy and its about to happend now :!: So when the clowns now find out its a stupid time to attack Iran it will be all over, self destruction, and they can peacefully take over our planet :idea:
lambnut
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Lanson
STEAM_0:1:7733934

Postby Binerexis on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:05 am

As a slight aside, I looked up a few conspiracies that were later revealed to be true and found a few interesting things. For starters, a lot of them had a lot of actual evidence rather than just thinking that there's maybe something being hidden for nefarious reasons or just plain paranoia (the fact that the group being conspired against weren't raging alcoholics/heavy drug users was a plus too). Secondly, most of them happened before 1960 with the most recent one I could find being Operation Snow White which happened in the 1970's although I wouldn't quite say that was on the level of a conspiracy theory but was more a "Something is wrong here, we're leaking like a sieve, someone find out what's wrong or we're in deep trouble" situation for those on the receiving end. I've not been able to find something that was absolutely proved to be true on the level of, let's say, a government trying to cover up the existence of an alien race visiting earth or humans never really going to the moon or a government secretly infecting a group of people with a virus just to see what the effects would be.

The world has changed a lot since then. If a government or any group of people were to try to do something like that, doing so without a leak appearing somewhere with some decent proof would be pretty surprising. As I said before, I wasn't able to find anything in the last forty years which has actually been proven.

After that short detour into conspiracy theories in general, let's try to keep this discussion to aliens.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 am

Love Muffin wrote:The Big bang theory is a good theory but like you said before that nobody really knows what happened, like how did the rock get there in the first place and then how did the particles that formed the rock get there and so on.

Regardless of the very good scientific theories of how these events came about, you might want to look at what's most parsimonious. That there is a logical explanation for these events involving natural forces as we have found in practically everything else we've investigated. Or that a supernatural being that we have no evidence for stepped in at various points to make these things happen?

One of those options fits with prior experience, the other adds yet another unknown that's conveniently unfalsifiable and doesn't really explain anything. And while quantum physics, nebulae, accretion discs and abiogenesis all seem quite complicated, they're actually relatively straightforward explanations compared to adding in the supernatural.

Basically, just because the current answer is "We don't know" doesn't mean that we should drop the scientific method and jump to the assumption of "therefore God/Allah/Aliens/Vishnu/Xenu/whatever".

Love Muffin wrote:I'm not really sure on this evolution thing either, I don't understand how a tiny bit of bacteria can then go on to form bones, hair, scales etc and scientist still havnt found the missing links between Chimpanze's and us humans.

I'm guessing you didn't mean this in quite this way, but I assume you can realise that just because you don't understand something that doesn't mean it's not real, or even that it's worthy of skepticism? We can't all be experts on everything and where those who have spent the time studying and understanding something come to a consensus on it, it's only reasonable to accept that view. Otherwise you dismiss things out of ignorance and run down paths that have already been shown to be wrong.

Love Muffin wrote:Religion is fine until people try to influence you on your own beliefs, it's fine the believe in a religion and it should be up to you what you believe in.

Argh! That sentence is so right in the last two thirds but the first part scares the crap out of me! You believe that trying to influence the beliefs of others is wrong? What are you doing debating on the internet then? You may be influencing my beliefs! :P All communication influences belief.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Binerexis on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:42 pm

I think he meant religion is fine unless all you do is try to convert someone/only ever talk about your religion etc etc

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Love Muffin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Binerexis wrote:I think he meant religion is fine unless all you do is try to convert someone/only ever talk about your religion etc etc

Yeah that's what I meant sorry, i'm not trying to pass my beliefs on to anybody because I really don't know what to believe in, God may be real, the big bang theory and science may be real, alien's may be real. Each of these to me have things plausible and other things about the 3 I don't understand.

Religion: There's just been so many different religion's over the years, alot have died out, but each have a God figure or more than one God, I wouldn't mind going to heaven or coming back as someone else :cheers:
Science: Some theory's are quite well explained but the universe and life is such a complicated thing
Alien: In theory there has to be alin life out there, I've read a few things about alien's there's stuff I believe and some stuf I don't.

But the debate will always continue unless, God or Jesus show themselves, Science can proove there theory's or Alien's decide to announce themselves

There's nothing wrong in believing

STEAM_0:0:5223960
Liverpool FC
"It's a love story, baby just say yes"

Feel free to add me on Steam
PSN: HoinkDoink

UKCS Facebook
#Banter

-Daztec
Love Muffin
Experienced Member

Player: Love Muffin ت
STEAM_0:0:5223960

Postby lockwyn on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:59 am

lambnut wrote:Well if you havent got it yet, its to strike us where it hurt us the most, the world economy and its about to happend now :!: So when the clowns now find out its a stupid time to attack Iran it will be all over, self destruction, and they can peacefully take over our planet :idea:
If the religious country Iran gets atomic weapons, I am afraid there will be no planet to take over xD
sitting at a distance, like vultures on the attack, I rise
Exceptional claims require exceptional evidence. -Christopher Hitchens
lockwyn
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: byleiptr
STEAM_0:1:5617232

Postby Binerexis on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Pretty sure Iran already has access to nuclear weapons. Also, America is a pretty damn religious country and they have a LOT of nukes.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby coldandtired on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Judging by the latest South Park it seems the History Channel isn't very well known for its real science.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby Binerexis on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 pm

We didn't really need South Park to tell us that.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby coldandtired on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:11 pm

coldandtired wrote:Yep. There was a picture somewhere how his transformation to mad scientist progressed.

Found it!
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby SpiritSharD on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Not much of a contributation to this thread, but personally I don't believe we're the only life forms out there. Whether or not we'll see other life anytime soon, or ever, is anyone's guess.

Then again, I tend to avoid thinking about these sort of topics. Not enough evidence to support either side really.

SpiritSharD

Player: SpiritSharD
STEAM_0:0:19876460

Postby Canaletto on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 pm

For me, there has to be life of some sort in our Universe other than just on this planet. But really it is irrelevant. The size and scope of our Universe is such that we will die out long before we grow up enough and learn enough to develop means to travel such distances.

What concerns me more is the systematic destruction of this planet due to over population and disregard for long term views and planning. Everything is "quick fix". We are heading for a fall. There is only one Earth and it is a finely balanced place.

Greed and the struggle for power and control is innate in our species. We will be our own undoing. Even now, people are making decisions based on money only, the environment and all the eco systems on the planet do not change rapidly enough for us to take notice. It is subtle and we will get a wake up call when it is too late. Many will say "I told you so" but who cares. It will be too late. Stupid humans...

Thankfully, our downfall should at least occur after my (one) life has run its natural course. Then again, as Locky says (and I have said before). When the Iranians get the bomb up and running, watch out. As Christopher Hitchins pointed out, a culture and ideology that encourages death in order to progress is not one you want getting nuclear weapons....

Canaletto
Home Member

Player: MannyTheManny
STEAM_0:1:4318485

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics