Asteroid fly past the earth

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: Asteroid fly past the earth

Postby Demiguise on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Sexy double post.
"I am the Hammer. I am the sword in His hand. I am the Gauntlet about His fist. I am the Bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous. I am the End."
TF2 Admin
Demiguise
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: ;.;7
STEAM_0:0:109558

Postby Arbor plena simia on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 pm

UK_sniper wrote:so if you hear of an asteroid going to hit earth your probably better off near the impact zone. at least it'd be quick :|
Hell yeah. With an impact that great, unless you're exploded or crushed in the crater you could die by (in rough order from time from impact); [effects of] tsunami, melting if you're close enough, [effect of] being blinded/deafened, burnt in global wild fires, asphysxiation, radiation, starvation/being attacked by something else starving, freezing. That's all I can think of at the moment :P and not including things like global panic, power outage and more man made effects.
Oh, and then there's UFO's capitalizing on our weakened state, assuming you survive long enough :lol:

And it's not certain that an asertoid killed off the dinosaurs. It's likely it certainly had a large impact (no pun intended), and some evidence suggests 2 impacts, while others suggest non caused the extinction. But that's off topic.

I find such as asteroids and impacts to be fascinating, particularly the creation of impact craters and shocked minerals etc. It's just a shame I don't study them in more detail :(

In order to make a pie, you must first make the universe.
Arbor plena simia
Experienced Member

Player: Arbor plena simia
STEAM_0:1:14696266

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 pm

UK_sniper wrote:to be honest, if an asteroid the size of the one that killed off the dinosaurs struck again it would be pretty much game over for humans no matter what we do.

so if you hear of an asteroid going to hit earth your probably better off near the impact zone. at least it'd be quick :|

The one that killed off the dinosaurs was pretty massive, Gulf of Mexico is the impact zone and dwarfs the one in South Africa.
You must remember these animals were huge and needed an equally large amount of food to survive. T-Rex was certainly not the biggest killer that everyone assumes and if you notice, all the smaller creatures survived. Even deep sea fish survived whereas a lot of the fish nearer the surface also perished.

The biggest danger from an asteroid, is not the impact damage, unless it was 1/4 the size of the earth :P but the fallout damage that kicks masses of debris into the air and blocks out the sun for years to come.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Arbor plena simia on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Little_Devil wrote:all the smaller creatures survived
Not all of them; small dinosaurs for instance. And even then larger things survived; sharks and crocodiles for instance; there were still dinosaurs alive in the Cenozoic after 65Ma as well.
And it still isn't universally accepted that the asteroid was the cause.
Little_Devil wrote:unless it was 1/4 the size of the earth
Well the last time anything near that size hit the Earth, the Moon was created.
Theia is supposed to have been about 1/10 the mass of the Earth and in the same orbit but was destablised and crashed into the proto-Earth causing a load of proto-Earth to be sent into orbit and become the moon.
So something 1/4 the size of the Earth... well I can't imaging what that would be like. Alderan maybe :lol:

Little_Devil wrote:The one that killed off the dinosaurs was pretty massive
Arbor plena simia wrote:The Chixulub crater at Yucutan is over 180km across...
...The energy released would have been the equivelant of about 50Gt of TNT or 3 million Hiroshima bombs.
Shameless self promotion

I like dinosaurs and planetary sciences :P

In order to make a pie, you must first make the universe.
Arbor plena simia
Experienced Member

Player: Arbor plena simia
STEAM_0:1:14696266

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Arbor plena simia wrote:]The Chixulub crater at Yucutan is over 180km across...
...The energy released would have been the equivelant of about 50Gt of TNT or 3 million Hiroshima bombs.

Shameless self promotion

180 KM sounds pretty small for the size of the actual crater Yucutan being only on the periphery of the actual crater, but it has been said it is 10Km deep which just shows the impact made, particularly since it came in at an angle, and not straight down. Just imagine how big it would have been, prior to striking the earth.

p.s I only said 1/4 earth size to denote something so huge, that the mantle would most likely crack/split and was not being specific :P
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby quaduski on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:34 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ht_Echoes/

There is some info on the sky at night this month, about how many large astroids are flying around our solar system.
quaduski
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: meme
STEAM_0:1:5190098

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics