Your views on the "Data War"?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Your views on the "Data War"?

Postby Athrun_Talan on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11935539

So, in response to certain sites pulling the ability to donate to Wikileaks, Anonymous have launched DDOS attacks designed to either cripple, or raise awareness that "we, the people" are unhappy with the current state of affairs.

But are we really? Surely the sites are following the letter of the law, in that they are allowing donations to an illegal, albeit whistleblowing site?

On the other side of things, however, it's harming "freedom of speech" (although true freedom of speech seems impossible), and supposedly setting a dangerous precedent for censoring the Internet on a larger scale.

What's your view?
Last edited by cowboyfromhell on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
Athrun_Talan
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Athrun Talan
STEAM_0:1:5275691

Re: Your views on the "Data War"?

Postby Binerexis on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:07 am

My view of it is that Anonymous and DDoS attacks really don't do squat. Congratulations, you convinced a large group of thirteen year olds that they would be seen as a popular group of 'hackers' if you brought down a website for a few hours.

The more of this shit that gets pulled, the more likely anonymity online will be reviewed by governments and changed so that the internet as we know it now will cease to exist.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Wombat on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Personally I think that Anonymous group are a bunch of idiots. First of all, I disagree with their cause. Secondly, I think what they are doing doesn't help their cause at all. All it does is get Wikileaks more associated with hacking / illegal activities in the eyes of the public and bring down the image of Wikileaks. So those people are aren't helping Wikileaks at all, on the contrary... Which leads me even more to believe they are short-sighted a-social attention seekers, who don't have a clue about the bigger picture...

Besides that, in my opinion Wikileaks has nothing to do with "freedom of speech" but is just a bunch of paranoia conspriracy-thinkers who have, with the internet, a way too powerfull tool in their hands.

Yes, i am all for freedom of speech, transparency of gouvernment and stopping corruption, but neither Wikileaks nor those Anonymous (or not-so-anonymous, they arrested a 16year old kid in Holland for playing a central role in the attacks :P) hackers are taking the right approach.

Wombz
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408

Postby *sketch on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:48 pm

People voluntarily adding themselves to a botnet...
Does not compute.
*sketch
Experienced Member

Player: *sketch
STEAM_0:0:7407608

Postby Primal ShadoW on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:57 am

Never forget.

Primal ShadoW
Experienced Member

Player: mkkk
STEAM_0:1:6008644

Postby {TPUK}Advocate on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:38 pm

*sketch wrote:People voluntarily adding themselves to a botnet...
Does not compute.

+1

{TPUK}Advocate
UKCS Sponsor

Player: WindowLicker
STEAM_0:1:10948978

Postby Binerexis on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:23 am

It's not really a botnet so much as all of them running the same program at the same time, poor wording in the article that wrote that really.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby CraKinShOt on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Stupid people giving credence to stupid material; I find it incredibly hard to believe these guys haven't been infiltrated by Agent Provocateurs.

Apart from commenting that the other people who used to be behind wikileaks and now setting up OpenLeaks because they think Assange is full of bullshit. Ultimately, you have to ask "Who gains from this wikileaks?"

I'll leave you with this; I am (and was from the get-go) 100% convinced the whole wikileaks thing is a Mossad psyop and if you look around the blogs you find some compelling arguments to this idea.

http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/blog/s ... othschilds
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby Binerexis on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:34 am

That link is completely dead.

Also, you make it sound as if everyone at Wikileaks left to go and create OpenLeaks which isn't entirely the case. It doesn't really matter, though, as people will likely always reference OpenLeaks as "That website which is like Wikileaks".

You'll probably end up hating me for this but I laughed so hard to the point milk nearly came out of my nose when you said that this is all a Mossad psyop operation. Honestly, I've not heard anything so funny in a long time.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby EWJ on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Binerexis wrote:You'll probably end up hating me for this but I laughed so hard to the point beer did come out of my nose when you said that this is all a Mossad psyop operation. Honestly, I've not heard anything so funny in a long time.

Fixed that..
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Binerexis on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 pm

I had just gotten out of bed when I posted that, I'm not that much of an alcoholic. Besides, Vodka is for morning drinkin'.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Return to Thinkers Topics