Egyptian Blogger Jailed For Insulting Military

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Egyptian Blogger Jailed For Insulting Military

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Completely disgusted with this, it just shows Egypt has changed one totalitarian rule for yet another. Its happened in the past and has just happened again.

In a setback to freedom of expression in post-Mubarak Egypt, Egyptian blogger, 26-year-old Maikel Nabil Sanad, has been sentenced to three years in prison for criticizing the military. The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has been in control of Egypt since Hosni Mubarak was ousted on February 11th following 18 days of protests. Nabil was sentenced by a military court and is said to be the first blogger imprisoned in Egypt since Mubarak's fall.

He wasn't even given a fair trial by any means.

The military prosecutor charged him with "insulting the military establishment," under article 184 of the penal code, and with "spreading false information," a violation of article 102 bis. The military judge had announced on April 6 that he would rule on April 10 after defense lawyers had completed their pleadings. On April 10, Nabil's lawyers were informed that no session would take place on that day and that the judge would rule on April 12.

Adel Ramadan, of the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights, one of Nabil's defense lawyers, told Human Rights Watch that when the lawyers went to the court complex on the morning of April 11, they saw on the court roll that the court had already sentenced Nabil the day before. In violation of the Code of Military Justice, the lawyers had not been present.

http://www.care2.com/causes/human-right ... ary-video/

Demonstrators recount terrible stories of violence and abuse after they were dragged from the Square and into a nearby museum. Protesters were beaten with iron bars and clubs and shocked with stun guns while the women were forced to strip and submit to a "virginity exam".

Although some were released, activists in Egypt say that over 100 civilian demonstrators are still awaiting a military trial with no access to their families or a lawyer. Those who are sentenced will not have the option to repeal their case or have any contact with the outside world.

So where is the U.N. now, Oops forgot no oil :?
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Egyptian Blogger Jailed For Insulting Military

Postby login257 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 am

and these are the people that built the great pyramids... :roll:

login257

STEAM_0:1:21817607

Postby Unspecified on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 am

And to think of the jubilant scenes when the military took over from the president :|

Same story different day!
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Binerexis on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:42 pm

login257 wrote:and these are the people that built the great pyramids... :roll:

That was a long, long time ago; Civilisations change.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby login257 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 am

Binerexis wrote:

going backwards it seems...

login257

Postby Bobbobthebob on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Ouch. This isn't good. Am I being overly optimistic to hope that the interim government will end on schedule in 4 months and such an illiberal law will be scrapped or deemed illegal under the new constitution?

login257 wrote:
Binerexis wrote:

going backwards it seems...

Great ancient monuments are often built by slaves. As bad as it is in Egypt right now, I don't think any of them would want to return to that.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby login257 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:50 am

Bobbobthebob wrote:Great ancient monuments are often built by slaves. As bad as it is in Egypt right now, I don't think any of them would want to return to that.

u forget that the Egyptians owned the slaves ...

furthermore, a minimum-wage employee working hard 12-16 hours a day just to pay for housing and food may be worse off then the slaves the egyptians held ...

login257

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

News flash; Most, if not all coutnries, were involved in the slave trade.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Bobbobthebob on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 pm

Egypt's slaves were a mixture of PoWs and indentured servants. Power was concentrated into a very tiny elite and your life could be forfeit at the whim of pharaohs, overseers and priests. It's a bit difficult to work out as the terms for servant and slave are pretty much indistinguishable (much like modern Arabic).

Anyway, this is a silly de-rail I've instigated here and didn't want to take it much further. My point was that the suggestion that Egypt was somehow regressing from some supposed pinnacle of building giant buildings with slave labour was silly. It was impressive for its time and is not a judgement upon the culture but the world has changed. Most modern Egyptians (and humans generally) would rather not have slavery.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Return to Thinkers Topics