Legalization and Decriminalization of Marijuana

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Should Marijuana be regulated like alcohol?

Yes
70%
No
17%
I'm not sure
13%

Total votes : 64

Legalization and Decriminalization of Marijuana

Postby Saurus on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I know this topic might sidetrack to the merits of the 'War on Drugs' and general laws involving 'Prohibition' -but focusing on marijuana:

Do you think Marijuana should be regulated like alcohol using restrictions : Age Limit, Taxed, Consumption when Travelling, Consumption in the Workplace ...etc?
(see poll)

I think it should be legalized, it is a far safer alternative as a recreational drug then alcohol or tobacco.
Rior|UKCS|
Saurus
Home Member

Player: rior
STEAM_0:1:14059366

Re: Legalization and Decriminalization of Marijuana

Postby UK_sniper on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 am

From a Moderator point of view - this discussion is regarding legalizing a controlled substance. It is not to become a discussion on taking drugs or your experiences on taking drugs. UKCS holds a zero tolerance policy towards these discussions - read here.

Seeing how Marijuana can be controlled in Holland quite effectively it does make me wonder why we do not hold the same idea here. My main concern though is that the long term effects for drug use aren't well known, compared to say alcohol where the effects are well known.

As such I have answered the poll with "I dont know".

Kev
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby WAR on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 am

I think it was David Nutt that did a survey which listed the most harmful drugs and alcohol is more harmful through a health and social aspect than Cannabis.

Not only that the amount of money plugged into fighting the drug barons is just stupid, instead it should be put into rehabilitation clinics to help those off drugs.

However, just allowing it is somewhat unfamiliar territory, but you just need to take a step back and take a look at the effect that alcohol is already doing to this society.
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Postby Saurus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:49 am

My view is more that of 'Adults should responsible for their own bodies, not the government' - and on that point, I believe marijuana should be legal, because for me, in a free society, you should be able to have the freedom of choice of what you wish to consume. I think War is correct in pointing out that we treat alcoholics as addicts, but we treat drug addicts like criminals.

I also think that it is silly the fact that a kid has a better chance of getting drugs than being served a pint at a pub. Finally, I think it is inaccurate to believe prohibition of a drug protects the individuals, when it fact it does the opposite as it leads to an underground market of crime related to the acquisition of the drug
Rior|UKCS|
Saurus
Home Member

Postby Wizav on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:36 pm

No.

I was diagnosed with agoraphobia after smoking it.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Saurus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Wizav wrote:No.

I was diagnosed with agoraphobia after smoking it.

People are diagnosed with lung cancer after smoking cigarettes does that mean we should ban cigarettes?
Rior|UKCS|
Saurus
Home Member

Postby NachoDuck on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 pm

Saurus wrote:People are diagnosed with lung cancer after smoking cigarettes does that mean we should ban cigarettes?

From a health point of view, yes we should and if we did we'd have to ban alcohol whilst we're at it but that won't happen due to

1) The large recreational use of both substances by many
2) The large amount of jobs that depend on both industry would cause a massive outcry
3) The amount of duty charged on both is a nice earner for the government.

However, your argument about tobacco stands just as much if not more for cannabis, the health service in this country already cripples under the health related issues of both tobacco and alcohol (remember that these aren't necessarily directly related to consumption, for example how many people injure themselves under the influences of alcohol or cause harm to others?), to legalise cannabis would only add to this by a very significant amount in my opinion.

NachoDuck
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: NachoDuck ツ @ i48 H2-AG29
STEAM_0:0:5447936

Postby Kuukijz on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:48 pm

As far as I'm aware, few countries have already legalized it, and so far they haven't turned into drug addict slums, also, so far, pro-cannabis scientists have made up that it's less damaging and addicting that regular tobacco, so might as well legalize it, at least they will get taxes from it :wink: There are already rules that prevent people from driving or working while drunk or under drugs, so that wouldn't change anything there...

Btw everything you buy from grocery store is bad for you in some way (Hi, countless "e" additives!)
Image Taking break from TF2
Kuukijz
Home Member

Player: Kuukijz
STEAM_0:0:13996578

Postby Saurus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm

But the argument of banning marijuana has only ever happened in order to attempt to promote a drug-free society. However we've seen then when we ban recreational substances, the amount of users and arrests skyrockets.

GTFO.NachoDuck, You say legalizing would cripple the healthcare system - but right now we are crippling our justice/legal system by wasting so many resources arresting and imprisoning those that have never committed a violent crime.

At least with regulation - tax money can be used to offset any potential issues.
Rior|UKCS|
Saurus
Home Member

Postby Kaelan002 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:06 am

-snip- :P

I say no, in holland it works because it is not seen as a "cool" thing to do, here in england sadly teenagers do it not for enjoyment, but like smoking, they do it because they think it makes them look cool and grown up. Ive had many friends get addicted to smoking because of this and the only reason they arent addicted to marijuana is because it IS illegal and harder for them to get (not to mention expensive).
Last edited by Kaelan002 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby R3pT1l3 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:19 am

kaelan002 wrote:
Saurus wrote:GTFO.NachoDuck, You say legalizing would cripple the healthcare system - but right now we are crippling our justice/legal system by wasting so many resources arresting and imprisoning those that have never committed a violent crime.

Its a debate people can say what they want, telling them to gtfo doesn't counter someone argument. :|

lol kaelan i hope that was a joke.. his name is GTFO.NachoDuck as in a member of GTFO Gaming :P
R3pT1l3
UKCS Admin
Maptesting Deputy Head

Player: R3pT1l3
STEAM_0:1:16573686

Postby G3!ST on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:39 am

LOL
G3!ST
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Incredibru
STEAM_0:0:6011571

Postby Kaelan002 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:26 pm

oops, sorry i apologise. :P
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 pm

kaelan002 wrote:I say no, in holland it works because it is not seen as a "cool" thing to do, here in england sadly teenagers do it not for enjoyment, but like smoking, they do it because they think it makes them look cool and grown up. Ive had many friends get addicted to smoking because of this and the only reason they arent addicted to marijuana is because it IS illegal and harder for them to get (not to mention expensive).

Surely by that logic ALL teenagers should be alcoholic smokers because they think it makes them look good. This simply isn't the case.

If marijuana were to be legalised, regulated and taxed, an increase in users is to be expected and the initial numbers would be very high; marijuana smokers are likely to immediately buy the legal stuff (it wouldn't be at all difficult to sell the product cheaper than drug dealers) and then there are the people who have wanted to try it but haven't due to what ever reason. Taking the drug money away from gangs would have a devastating effect to their organisation and, at this point in time, I can't think of anything detrimental that would happen to the law-abiding populous if it were legalised.

Tax it, regulate it, throw a 'This isn't really good for you but it's your own body so it's none of our business' sticker on it and let's chill out.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby WAR on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Going on from Binexeris said, it would also mean marijuana would be "safer" or cleaner, as a better term, dealers will mash up their supplies with anything to make it bulkier, there's also various stronger and weaker strains which can also be regulated.

The other day I was walking through town and two guys walked past me smoking a joint, without any fear of being caught, kinda makes a statement.
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 am

I think it's a slippery slope. People cry out that it's safer than alcohol or smokes- but at the same time the true long term effects of it are unknown as are the effects of it being widely available.

I just forsee it being legalized and then a massive industry explodes overnight, the drug proves to be chaotic on the streets and then it cant be banned due to the now thousands being raked in via tax and the employment because of it.

By all means legalize it once enough studies have been done, and its safe to use.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby syco cocker on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 pm

My concern is that if legalized the suppliers of the drug now will move to pushing a lot more of the more 'harmful drugs', from a personal point of view the statements I always hear that it is less harmful than 'drink & fags' is complete rubbish, I am a lot older than most on these forums & know people who have smoked this stuff for decades & all without exception have memory like a sieve I would say some almost at the point of dementia make of that what you will.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby EWJ on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:13 pm

all without exception have memory like a sieve

case in point my friend Johnny.. been smoking ONLY marijuana since a teenager and has trouble remembering the simplest things...
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby MakeNine on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:53 pm

I think all drugs should be decriminalized because people are going to use them whether the substances are prohibited or not. You'd need a 1984 style government to eradicate specific behaviors anyway. I think the time and money should be spend on trying to educate young people about the drugs and their effects and also providing medical services to addicts, as said previously.

MakeNine
Home Member

Player: [IG] MKNine
STEAM_0:0:5987970

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 am

MakeNine wrote:You'd need a 1984 style government to eradicate specific behaviors anyway.

Even then not all unwanted behaviour would disappear but the impression that it had been eliminated would be very prominent.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics