Serco

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Serco

Postby MakeNine on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Hey,

Just found this video and found it interesting so wanted to share it (scary if it's 100% accurate)

What do you think?

MakeNine
Home Member

Player: [IG] MKNine
STEAM_0:0:5987970

Re: Serco

Postby Rico on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 pm

I think I have heard of Serco.
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773

Postby paddyohale on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:07 pm

I've defintely heard of Serco.

It's always interesting when the OSA overlaps with the Physics syllabus... ;)

Pad.
paddyohale
UKCS Admin

Player: Παδδυ™
STEAM_0:1:8276332

Postby FunkySpider on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:16 pm

This is not unusual in the post cold war world companies like Serco needed to diversify as there was no continued tension to help stimulate demand for their services.
Lockheed Martin for example runs a lot of the social security/welfare programs in the United States, where each states welfare departments are effectively wholesale outsourced to private companies with little or no oversight from local or national government.
Quite scary if you think about it for a moment.
These companies gain tax breaks and indeed receive vast amounts of taxpayer money in return providing services that in many cases have shown to be detrimental to the people they are supposed to be helping or serving.
UKCS Forum Moderator
Sig by Fooligan
-You know what they say about love and war.
-Yeah, one of them involves a large amount of physical and psychological pain and the other's war.
FunkySpider
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: FunkySpider
STEAM_0:1:7995481

Postby MakeNine on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 pm

FunkySpider wrote:These companies gain tax breaks and indeed receive vast amounts of taxpayer money in return providing services that in many cases have shown to be detrimental to the people they are supposed to be helping or serving.

I agree. Here's an example of what can happen when you have private prisons:

Senior U.S. District Court Judge Edwin M. Kosik has sentenced Mark Ciavarella, former president judge of the Court of Common Pleas and former judge of the Juvenile Court for Luzerne County, Pa., to 28 years in federal prison. The federal system offers no parole and Ciavarella, 61, could remain behind bars until he is 89 years old.

In an ongoing corruption scandal that implicated more than 30 state and local government officials and contractors, Ciavarella, in a "kids for cash" scheme, was accused of sentencing juveniles to Pennsylvania Child Care and Western Pennsylvania Child Care detention centers in exchange for cash payments. Ciavarella was convicted of accepting a payment of nearly $1 million from the juvenile detention centers' builder.

source

At least that guy got caught and was severely punished.

MakeNine
Home Member

Player: [IG] MKNine
STEAM_0:0:5987970

Return to Thinkers Topics