Animal Cruelty Movie

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Mohsin on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 am

Just watched this film a friend sent me.

its called 'earthlings' and is narrated by joaquin phoenix, with music composed by moby.

i never knew this sort of stuff happened, its a shocking and sad movie

full movie was uploaded to youtube if anyone wants to check it out ~






" Peter Singer, best known for his book Animal Liberation states, "if I could make everyone in the world see one film, I'd make them see Earthlings" and Tom Regan, "for those who watch Earthlings, the world will never be the same."


User avatar
Mohsin
Regular Member
 
Player: zzz
STEAM_0:0:8082407
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: London



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Wombat on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 am

The reason why I am a vegetarian...

In my opinion, everyone should see this. Too many people choose to live in ignorance... :(
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
User avatar
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: The point, where else...



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Cotillion on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 am

I couldn't agree more with you Wombat. my reason to. for being a vegetarian...
your personal ignis fatuus
Image
User avatar
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 am
Location: The Netherlands



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby MotsMan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 pm

I would say that what was shown in the video is a minority and that the majority of animals whether they are killed for food or whatever are killed quickly and humanely. So just because of what was shown in the video shouldn't change you into becoming a vegetarian. Becoming a vegetarian should be for the reason that you can't live with taking an animal's life in order to feed you. I do however believe that more regulation is needed in how animals are killed and raised for food, clothes and other things & that the police should be given greater powers to deal with the criminals that do the things shown in the video.

I would also ask, you say that you become a vegetarian for the reasons shown in the video but do you still own leather clothes and other items where an animal was killed to obtain it/ test it.
Image
Ex-CS:S Senior Admin & Ex-CS:S Map Testing & Events Manager
Thanks to Frying Dutchman for the avatar :)
User avatar
MotsMan
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: Madsie
STEAM_0:0:12412399
 
Posts: 1804
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 pm
Location: West Sussex



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby MrsSekhmet on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 pm

This really makes me cry..
Image

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

Image




My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
User avatar
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 pm
Location: The netherlands



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Kuukijz on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:18 am

Most of the things there were already known -.- And while things like this do happen, I wouldn't call this video informative, it's feels more like propaganda, but then again, I guess that was their goal.

And MotsMan there are already ton of regulations for animal farms/slaughterhouses in more or less advanced countries, but many choose to ignore them.
Image Taking break from TF2
User avatar
Kuukijz
Home Member
 
Player: Kuukijz
STEAM_0:0:13996578
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Behind you with flamethrower

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Liquid on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 am

Sort of related, I thought this was pretty interesting, if you refuse to eat or use things that involve parts of a cow in some way it would be a very difficult and awkward life as a great many things come from cows.

Image
Image
User avatar
Liquid
Experienced Member
 
Player: Liquid
STEAM_0:0:9949389
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: Southampton (Chav Capital of England)

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby EWJ on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:44 am

I have to say 1 thing.. we do worse things to other humans.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Image
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
User avatar
EWJ
Old Timer
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984
 
Posts: 8042
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Ireland, The People's Republic of.



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Wombat on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:08 pm

EWJ wrote:I have to say 1 thing.. we do worse things to other humans.


I'm not sure about that. We also do horrible things to humans, but for animals we regrettably have different standards...

MotsMan wrote:I would say that what was shown in the video is a minority and that the majority of animals whether they are killed for food or whatever are killed quickly and humanely.


I'm sorry but this is not true. The video shows the worst cases, ofcourse. But unfortunately cruelty is the standard, not the exception.

I'm not telling anyone to become vegetarian, that's peoples own choice. I do think people should know the truth about how animals are threated and the video unfortunately comes closer to the truth than what you picture Motsman... :(

What reasons people have to become vegetarian is of their concern alone, so your argument about leather clothing has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Wombz
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
User avatar
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: The point, where else...



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Mohsin on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:35 pm

likewise, i haven't become a vegetarian.

but i do think this is widespread, behind closed doors [or in labs, where we dont know how many medical experiments are going on, and how many animals are used .. im guessing lots of animals have suffered and died in legal and illegal experiments ... being given the status of 'legal' doesn't make it morally right] or even like a pet owner who gets home and takes their anger out on their pets ... yes scum.

but definitely around the rest of the world, where animals have no rights or protection at all, and can be treated however the owner wishes to treat them.

humans are definitely capable of doing worse things to both animals and humans, especially if they consider one particular group 'sub human' or worth less than animals. both have been treated equally badly throughout history, animals of course on a much larger scale.

its all part of the circle of life. we are omnivores, and we are designed to eat meat and veg. hence our incisors and that humans have needed to eat meat to provide essential vitamins, which would not have been obtained from a strictly veg diet, and which without would lead to serious illnesses, diseases and possible death.

i also do not believe affording animals the same rights as humans is plausible.

what i do believe, is that we should either treat [domesticated - cats, dogs .. / farmyard] animals well, or leave them alone in the wild where they belong [ie. no exotic pets, no circuses]

and by well, i mean that we don't value the life of the animal when we take it, because we dont take the life ourselves .. which is a shame, i think taking an animals life, preparing it for food, and eating it would make an individual appreciate the life it has taken.

and the best methods should be sought, implemented and enforced by law in terms of how to kill the animals with the least amount of pain and distress caused to the animals. as quick a death as possible, and while the animal is calm.

i dont think being in a slaughterhouse with filthy pools of blood everywhere, squashed up with other animals, and hearing the distress of those getting thrown in the grinder is the best system really

i understand why it is done though, to quickly make the mass product quickly and efficiently, saving on time and cost and ship it out. but it isnt morally right.

but i do believe that the current laws for mistreatment of animals are just a slap on the wrist. i remember reading on the bbc news a story where a woman got a couple of months community service for torturing animals.

the sentencing guidelines need to be open to have a much more serious maximum sentence [not community service ...], so that people do think twice before harming an animal, and fear being locked up.

and for the point mentioned earlier, police investigators should be given more freedom and resources to go undercover and expose this type of crime, also respectable animal groups who have their own investigations and teams i think .. well im sure they already do work together, but more can always be done.

i do believe certain animals were put here for a purpose by God to help mankind (cows, sheep, goats ..) clothes, shoes, food, pack animals, transport .. and now i am aware, and appreciate that sacrifice.

i myself was brought up and taught in my faith certain animals were put here for our consumption, and use. and to have respect for them and appreciate the sacrifice and gift they give us, their life for us to survive.

some quotes from Muhammad on the treatment of animals ~

"Whoever is kind to the creatures of God is kind to himself."

he opposed recreational hunting saying: "whoever shoots at a living creature for sport is cursed."

"A woman punished her cat by imprisoning it until it died of hunger and because of it, she entered the Fire. [i.e. she went to hell] It was said and God knows best: 'You did not feed it nor give it water when you imprisoned it nor did you release it and let it eat from the plants of the earth."

"A prostitute was forgiven by God, because passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, God forgave her because of that."


im also interested to see from other religious figures [from other faiths] what they had to say on the treatment of animals, if anyone can help me with that. would be nice to know, thanks.


User avatar
Mohsin
Regular Member
 
Player: zzz
STEAM_0:0:8082407
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: London



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Cotillion on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:47 pm

You know what the problem is with this pro vs against veggie is: Most 'against veggie' feel that they have to convince the veggie to eat meat and if he/she choices not to well you also have no right to wear leather shoes or what so ever.

Well, I don't eat meat, i do wear leather shoes and other stuff made by products from animals. Consider this though, i can wear a pair of shoes far longer then i can eat a amount of meat of the same proportion that was necessary for the leather (not the same weight because that would be a little unfair to the meateaters ;) ). You can safe a lot of wasted energy to by not eating meat. Don't know if anybody is on subject with the saving energy by not eating meat but i could run my car all year from a fraction of the energy i safe by not eating meat :P.

And if animals are put here by god for us to consume we should tread them with the respect they deserve. Not putting them in bioindustryplants we tend to call farms.

Please do not confuse the fact that i'm against the wat we tread the animals with that i'm against eating meat. If i had a nice land i would probably keep my own animals and would sometimes slaughter one for special occasions. The animals would have had a good and full life with lots of space and good healthy food and care.
your personal ignis fatuus
Image
User avatar
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 am
Location: The Netherlands



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby MakeNine on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:36 pm

I won't watch the video because that kind of stuff really pisses me off and it's unbearable to watch. I already saw a video recently showing dogs being skinned alive and boiled in bags in China. I'm not a vegetarian and I'm comfortable with the fact that we are predators, but unnecessary cruelty is revolting. As EWJ says, we have done this people on a mass scale throughout history, so it's not really surprising is it?


User avatar
MakeNine
Home Member
 
Player: [IG] MKNine
STEAM_0:0:5987970
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Ireland



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:56 pm

MakeNine wrote:I won't watch the video because that kind of stuff really pisses me off and it's unbearable to watch. I already saw a video recently showing dogs being skinned alive and boiled in bags in China. I'm not a vegetarian and I'm comfortable with the fact that we are predators, but unnecessary cruelty is revolting. As EWJ says, we have done this people on a mass scale throughout history, so it's not really surprising is it?

+1

I'll continue to eat meat, that doesn't mean I condone any form of animal cruelty.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Image
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
User avatar
Gh0st.IRE
Moderator
 
Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:09 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Deadbolt on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:48 am

Didn't watch the video as it's nearly 5am and I've already watched a long one on slaughterhouses which probably covers some of the same things. I will just say that as long as the most efficient process is used(ie minimum cost, maximum production), I don't care how cruel it is.
Image
User avatar
Deadbolt
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Deadbolt |
STEAM_0:1:28360180
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: UK, Newcastle (Uni)

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby MakeNine on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 am

Deadbolt wrote:Didn't watch the video as it's nearly 5am and I've already watched a long one on slaughterhouses which probably covers some of the same things. I will just say that as long as the most efficient process is used(ie minimum cost, maximum production), I don't care how cruel it is.


Why is efficiency important to you?


User avatar
MakeNine
Home Member
 
Player: [IG] MKNine
STEAM_0:0:5987970
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Ireland



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Binerexis on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

This film brought to you in association with PETA, The Vegan Alliance and the "We like animals more than humans" Foundation.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Image
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
User avatar
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834
 
Posts: 5282
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: The North



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Deadbolt on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 am

MakeNine wrote:
Deadbolt wrote:Didn't watch the video as it's nearly 5am and I've already watched a long one on slaughterhouses which probably covers some of the same things. I will just say that as long as the most efficient process is used(ie minimum cost, maximum production), I don't care how cruel it is.


Why is efficiency important to you?


They are bred to be used as products. That's all they are to me. I would not sacrifice efficiency for less cruelty.
Image
User avatar
Deadbolt
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: Deadbolt |
STEAM_0:1:28360180
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: UK, Newcastle (Uni)

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby SupaSharpShoota on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Deadbolt wrote:
MakeNine wrote:
Deadbolt wrote:Didn't watch the video as it's nearly 5am and I've already watched a long one on slaughterhouses which probably covers some of the same things. I will just say that as long as the most efficient process is used(ie minimum cost, maximum production), I don't care how cruel it is.


Why is efficiency important to you?


They are bred to be used as products. That's all they are to me. I would not sacrifice efficiency for less cruelty.


I will not sacrifice honesty for forum etiquette - you evil bastard.
Image
User avatar
SupaSharpShoota
Admin (Retired)
 
Player: SSS
STEAM_0:0:2275281
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: Farmington,Connecticut

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Wombat on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:28 pm

SupaSharpShoota wrote:I will not sacrifice honesty for forum etiquette - you evil bastard.


lol!

and +1
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
User avatar
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor
 
Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: The point, where else...



Image

Re: Animal Cruelty Movie

Postby Binerexis on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Topics like this make me really, really hungry for veal.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Image
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
User avatar
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834
 
Posts: 5282
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: The North



Image

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest