Atheism 2.0

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: Atheism 2.0

Postby BenJy! on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Are the "Core" values you mentioned specific strict religious values as ones only for Christianity, Judaism or Islam? Or are they simply the "I shall not kill, commit adultery, steal" etc? Because I don't think I need a set of core values to tell me simplistic day to day laws which 98% of the public follow, regardless of religious orientation.
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby Snowbat on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am

There are a lot of religious basic values that I uphold. I don't steal. I don't rape. I don't murder. I don't hurt people.
The reason why I behave like this, is not because some book tells me. Or because some priest tells me.

It's because I have common sense. Not doing these bad things is just common sense to me.
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Postby heuji on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 am

BenJy! wrote:Are the "Core" values you mentioned specific strict religious values as ones only for Christianity, Judaism or Islam? Or are they simply the "I shall not kill, commit adultery, steal" etc? Because I don't think I need a set of core values to tell me simplistic day to day laws which 98% of the public follow, regardless of religious orientation.

exactly, and why i don't follow religion, nor need it in my life.

Snowbat wrote:There are a lot of religious basic values that I uphold. I don't steal. I don't rape. I don't murder. I don't hurt people.
The reason why I behave like this, is not because some book tells me. Or because some priest tells me.

It's because I have common sense. Not doing these bad things is just common sense to me.

this is basically the same point made by the previous poster. i agree with this too. it does work for some people though, which is why because it now exists, we also shouldn't mock religion too. why i am totally against this Aetheism 2.0 video. Aetheism, at its core and as he mentions, is to mock religion. he then goes on to say we shouldn't do this, well then it's not Aetheism.. people less intelligent would interpret a lot of his comments wrong, creating more problems. its just not needed and why i think the guy, as intellectual as he wants to make himself seen, is an idiot.
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby The Sinner on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:02 am

Religions like gods are created by humans, that's why they have human values.
It would be illogical to base a construct like a god or religion on an ideology that contradicts the core values of the creator.

All the icing on top... The behavior of the proponents and the belief system of any religion is forged because the like minded tend to seek each other out for companionship, they then refine that which makes them like minded and build rules and ceremony around it. Then they indoctrinate their offspring into it.

If someone has a belief system and ritual leave them to it. If they have any doubt, they will work it out eventually.
We shouldn't mock religion, we should criticise religion with arguments that disprove the illogical within religion,
Children of all races, creeds and nationalities will happily play together, until an adult tells them lies.... Indoctrination the only legal form of child abuse.
The Sinner
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Ŧħξ $іηηξг
STEAM_0:0:5055243

Postby Binerexis on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 am

Holy 18 month bump, Batman...
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics