The "Internet War"

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: The "Internet War"

Postby Snape2255 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 pm

*EDIT* - I'm sorry for the double post, I clicked the button twice when it lagged.
-Snape

"Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck leads the flock to fly and follow."

English people who have gone through the educational system and still can't spell enrage me. Text speech is used for texting - keep it that way.

Woo I found my 2009 account from back when I was but a wee lad! Can finally prove I'm not the new guy :')

*Me giving directions on microphone*
Player: SHUT UP SNAPE!
Me: Ooooo, well someone is a mr. grumpy boots!
Player: ......

-Snape, trolling trolls since 1994

The Three Mexiteers:
-Taco "MexiTaco" the First Mexiteer!
-Snape "MexiSnape" the Second Mexiteer!
-Duster "MexiDuster" the Third Mexiteer!
Snape2255

Player: Snape #GBR#
STEAM_0:0:36781301

Postby Cotillion on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Hmmm so for me saying that they or you are wrong i'm ignorent and stubborn? Doesn't work for me. sorry. It's called debating and having a different opinion. And you didn't prove you are right in my opinion. I didn;t see a copy of a real scientific paper on the subject.
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

Postby MrsSekhmet on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Wikipedia?? Seriously?
Wikipedia can say that grass is purple and people would believe it. But if you are so convinced that violence is a human nature thing, you are wrong. It is an action... A choice... And not something everybody does.

So please, stop this discussion. cause it is not going anywhere. unless there is proof.. 100% sure. And not something like we believe that, cause this and that. blablabla.....

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby Snape2255 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Cotillion wrote:Hmmm so for me saying that they or you are wrong i'm ignorent and stubborn? Doesn't work for me. sorry. It's called debating and having a different opinion. And you didn't prove you are right in my opinion. I didn;t see a copy of a real scientific paper on the subject.

I never said you yourself are ignorant or stubborn, I said you're -acting- ignorant and stubborn. I would never be so rude as to tell someone that what they're saying and what they believe in is outright 'wrong' - to me that's extremely rude and insensitive, extremely disrespectful also. I would never tell you that what you believed in was wrong, that's disgusting behaviour and simply not the right thing to do.

Debating is having an argument on a subject and both putting forth different reasonings, explanations, evidence and so forth to prove your point - it is not to tell the other person that they are outright wrong, that is a stubborn, ignorant, childish argument and is extremely disrespectful to all parties involved.

As for me "proving I'm right" - I don't recall stating I did once, I stated that you have yet to prove me 'wrong' - this doesn't mean I'm 'right', it simply means you're still incapable of proving me 'wrong'.

You also do not need a "real scientific paper" to prove a subject is correct (although it certainly helps and is more evidence than anything else, admittedly, in this day and age).

You also made an extremely big contradiction again - you said "It's called debating and having a different opinion." - sound a bit contradictive doesn't it? You're saying that it's a debate and it's all about people "having a different opinion" - yet you have the audacity to tell someone else that their opinion and belief is wrong simply because you say it is. It's the equivalent of going up to a devout Christian and telling them that their belief in god is wrong and they're stupid, ludicrous and everything they believed in is bull. This is not the right thing to do - it just makes you look like an utter asshole (I'm saying this in general, not specifically calling you one).

What you're doing is simply making my point more valid, you're being rude and disrespectful by stating that my opinion and belief is wrong - and when this is brought to attention to you you state that you don't agree with that because "this is a debate" and it's "about having a different opinion" - which, as said before, is a complete contradiction.

In all fairness if you are to tell someone that their beliefs and opinions are completely wrong simply because you think they are, that should negate your right to have any belief or opinion on a subject yourself since you're just being contradictory.

It's your opinion I'm wrong - but you do not state it, that's just disrespectful and rude. That's my point, that's why you're acting ignorant and stubborn.
-Snape

"Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck leads the flock to fly and follow."

English people who have gone through the educational system and still can't spell enrage me. Text speech is used for texting - keep it that way.

Woo I found my 2009 account from back when I was but a wee lad! Can finally prove I'm not the new guy :')

The Three Mexiteers:
Snape2255

Postby Snape2255 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Mrs_Sekhmet wrote:Wikipedia?? Seriously?
Wikipedia can say that grass is purple and people would believe it. But if you are so convinced that violence is a human nature thing, you are wrong. It is an action... A choice... And not something everybody does.

So please, stop this discussion. cause it is not going anywhere. unless there is proof.. 100% sure. And not something like we believe that, cause this and that. blablabla.....

"One entry found for human nature.
Main Entry: human nature
Function: noun
: the nature of human beings; especially : the ways of thinking, acting, and reacting that are common to most or all human beings or that are learned in social situations "

From a dictionairy. Are you happy with this answer?

Please read my above reply regarding your statement that I am "wrong". Thanks.
-Snape

The Three Mexiteers:
Snape2255

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Guys, come on stop derailing this thread. If you want to keep arguing can I suggest you switch to pms or steam. :)
(ps. I agree with bin and cotillion on this.)

Back on topic, this is a good video on the NEW version of acta.

EDIT: Wrong video (its about an older version), still worth a watch though. Wait there while I find the one I wanted. :P
Last edited by Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Cotillion on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks Kaelan for the wake up call... an other topic will be better for this :)

will look into the video later :)
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Just as a protip, it's generally unwise to cite Wikipedia as a source. If you're studying subjects like psychology and criminology, you should know why.

Where acts of violence or aggression may be a base animal instinct we, as a species, are just a little bit above other animals because we can actually control ourselves. Saying that, just because it's a primal instinct does not excuse the acts. In fact, succumbing to these baser instincts can really paint a person in a bad light. Speaking of violence in particular, it isn't a base act like sex where we are completely hard-wired into wanting to do it or feeling a need to do it or even something which, when it happens, will be universally enjoyed. You can argue that the kicks of adrenaline can give a 'buzz' but this will vary from person to person before even taking into consideration the fight or flight responses of an individual. Also unlike sex, we don't get a kick out of watching it nor do we wish to emulate the behaviour immediately if we see it (depending on the realism, of course). There are groups that will get a kick out of watching it or will try to emulate it but we'll get onto that later (to get emulation out of the way, see the Bobo doll experiment but you have likely already come across this in your studies).

Although you put your case forward for violence being a base instinct, Snape, I'm afraid that Cotillion is correct in describing it as an expression and one that we CHOOSE rather than being something we are a slave to. If someone is a slave to acting violently, they need counselling. To touch on the point of Cotillion's third definition of 'violence' not mentioning self-defence, the key words in the description are 'unjust' and 'unwarranted'. Acting in self-defence (as by the legal parameters of self-defence) are neither of those things. Also, I take issue with your statement that violence can be unintentional which really is a baffling statement to make.

Going back to what I said earlier about those enjoying violence. The individuals who seem to enjoy any act of violence seem to be the (often) uneducated types who are more than happy to just give in to their more primal urges rather than act like a civil human being. Those people come off as a slave to their emotions rather than someone governed by logic and reason. Examples of such people are those who find video compilations of skaters injuring themselves (or similar) and, I don't know, acts of rioting amusing or exciting. I mentioned earlier that you hadn't presented yourself in the best light and the reason for this is that, to me, you come across as that kind of person. To put it in a more blunt manner, I think you're a sadist. Not in the sexual kink kind of way but in the kind of way that I think you need to seriously consider being influenced by your base emotions. Some people accomplish this by growing up but it takes great effort and counselling for others. Hopefully, you are in the former category.

EDIT: Took my time in typing this and see that further posts have been made.

I see that you DO belong in the former category I stated earlier, Snape. To post a reply which essentially says "Ugh, are you happy now? Read what I put earlier, god..." shows that you have a lot of growing up to do. You know what isn't a base instinct of humans? Manners. That doesn't mean you have to forgo them.
Last edited by Binerexis on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby MrsSekhmet on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm

kaelan002 wrote:Guys, come on stop derailing this thread. If you want to keep arguing can I suggest you switch to pms or steam. :)

Good idea, let's stay ontopic now.

Thanks.

MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Snape2255 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Will continue the previous 'debate' in PM if it's wished to do so (would especially like to talk to Bin in PM regarding his last post).

However time to stop derailing the thread so back on topic - would like to view that video you're talking about Kaelan, please find the link soon for us :)
-Snape

The Three Mexiteers:
Snape2255

Postby Security on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm

I haven't read the 2 pages on whatever was being discussed here but this Reddit post made me pretty happy. :)
I am no VVD voter but it is good to see something good come from one of there EP's!

Also I read that the Dutch representative didn't actually sign ACTA today in Japan because he/she wasn't allowed to due to a delay. :)
It is time to come to action, going to write some people tomorrow as we cannot have this secret piece of crap being forced upon us.

Binerexis wrote:Just as a protip, it's generally unwise to cite Wikipedia as a source. If you're studying subjects like psychology and criminology, you should know why.

Are you claiming Wikipedia could contain inaccurate information?
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Snape2255 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Security wrote:I haven't read the 2 pages on whatever was being discussed here but this Reddit post made me pretty happy. :)
I am no VVD voter but it is good to see something good come from one of there EP's!

Also I read that the Dutch representative didn't actually sign ACTA today in Japan because he/she wasn't allowed to due to a delay. :)
It is time to come to action, going to write some people tomorrow as we cannot have this secret piece of crap being forced upon us.

Binerexis wrote:Just as a protip, it's generally unwise to cite Wikipedia as a source. If you're studying subjects like psychology and criminology, you should know why.

Are you claiming Wikipedia could contain inaccurate information?

Thanks for the post - I've sent an e-mail to her asking for a live stream update at the time :) It's nice to see an EU MEP taking an active role in preventing/reforming ACTA :)

As for the Zidane link - made me chuckle :')
-Snape

The Three Mexiteers:
Snape2255

Postby MrsSekhmet on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 am

For those that want to be anonymouse on the internet.

Download https://www.torproject.org/ browser.

MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Kaelan002 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 am

That may work for now, but seeing as most of the hosts you bounce through are in the eu/america it doesn't solve the problem, just passes it on to someone else.
Buy a server, stick it in Switzerland and use that. :P
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:05 pm

TOR is a good way for users in the US/EU to remain anonymous online but it's a good way for people in places like China to avoid the crazy censorship laws. Who knows, maybe we'll need something like that if we can't kill ACTA.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Security on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Snape2255 wrote:As for the Zidane link - made me chuckle :')

It was a fun day vandalising Wikipedia and it only got me a warning. :)
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby SupaSharpShoota on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I was looking for something from Hackers but this was better

SupaSharpShoota
Admin (Retired)

Player: SSS
STEAM_0:0:2275281

Postby Security on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:09 pm

I came across a site which describes multiple ways how to get around the Dutch ISP blockade (forced by a judge onto 2 big ISP's). :lol:

Also this pretty long article about recent events with MU and Kim Dotcom is worth a read.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics