Screw education, go to prison, get money after release!

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: Screw education, go to prison, get money after release!

Postby Mez on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:51 pm

As a member of UK's police force I feel I should put a tiny comment here.

You are clearly missing this point right at the top of the article:

an ex-prisoner into work and keep them on for more than two years,

They are paying them £5,600 to keep them in work for two years. Do you not understand the sheer costs involved if that person wasn't given a job and decided that he was at wits end again and had to commit crime? The investigation and court proceedings alone would be far higher than that cost.

I think some people only see what they want to see instead of actually taking a second to read it fully. I deal with burglars, alcoholics, addicts etc etc on a daily basis and some of them are genuine people who are stuck on a cycle of despair. A scheme like this could help them come out of it and take them away from the life they had and save the taxpayer a LOT of money.

I won't continue as I will end up in a rant but I am absolutely fed up of the general public casting opinions on things that they CLEARLY do NOT understand.

<3

Mez
Old Timer

Player: Mez^
STEAM_0:1:3620511

Postby Binerexis on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:20 am

The whole point of our legal system is rehabilitation rather than retribution. The reason why most people offend is because something along the line has made things go tits up for them and they were trying to help themselves so why not give them a bit of a hand? I'd like to think that if I was homeless and stole something that someone would help me out.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Mez on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 am

You are exactly right.

Rehabilitation as opposed to full on punishment has been proven to reduce re-offending and reduce the impact on the taxpayer.

Mez
Old Timer

Player: Mez^
STEAM_0:1:3620511

Postby Canaletto on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm

The numbers who rehabilitate are a token gesture versus the numbers who know they can keep on getting away with it ..... nice idea, but on the whole is a drop in the ocean

Canaletto
Home Member

Player: Canaletto
STEAM_0:1:4318485

Postby Binerexis on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 pm

[Citation Needed]

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby FunkySpider on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:22 am

Wonder who the Daily Mail readers on in this thread....
There are plenty of examples in Europe of rehabilitation schemes that work incredibly well. But these are ignored in favour of the US approach of locking them up and turning them into worse criminals with a system that gives up on a person after one mistake.
Mez is the only person in here, it would seem to have first hand experience and indeed supports rehabilitation. Yet this is ignored with lines to the effect of having to do something drastic because that's the only thing humans understand...
This isn't about any of the drastic things that where suggested earlier there are underlying problems but the ones described by canaletto are in some cases far too abstract to be added to in any meaningful way without global consent or turning our society into a Randian dream.
I do not want to live in a society that effectively kills on my behalf people who have made a mistake. Or who were wrongly found guilty, that idea makes me sick. Capital Punishment makes me sick. We are humans in the 21st Century, we are supposed to be better than this.
Education is a key, but probably not the way you are thinking. Spending money and giving incentives for teachers to accept jobs in more deprived areas is a start. Our education system is unbalanced which is why you have parents in mad rushes every year to get their children into certain schools.
Education is not seem as a key out of poverty for many people anymore, because of the cost after GCSE education and the low regard apprenticeships are held in. If you don't go to university it is seen by many as seriously damaging your chances at a happy and productive life, yet going to university involves putting yourself in so much debt many feel uncomfortable with that prospect. But doing A-Levels is not affordable to some especially after the virtual demise of the EMA. That was a project that honestly helped people who needed it and it not being there is another road block.
But I think those who get rather angry at this miss the point. The point that being you shouldn't have to worry about an ex-con getting a job you're going for because of a government financial incentive if you work as hard as you can and are good at what you do surely? Your skills and experience must outweigh the financial incentive?
UKCS Forum Moderator
Sig by Fooligan
-You know what they say about love and war.
-Yeah, one of them involves a large amount of physical and psychological pain and the other's war.
FunkySpider
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: FunkySpider
STEAM_0:1:7995481

Postby Ccpanther on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:25 pm

That looks great...but only if its for minor offenders...like robbery, social misconduct and so on.....
I think serious offenders and repeating offenders.... should get longer prison sentences... if that is the case... I think is a brilliant idea. :wink:
The Gentle or the Furious.
The Knight shield or the Warriors sword.
The Right and Wrong or the Wrong and Right.
The Open palm or the closed fist.
The Black or the White ?
Ccpanther

Player: Cpanther
STEAM_0:1:52146308

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Holy thread necrosis, Batman...

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics