My Dissertation, need peoples input.

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

My Dissertation, need peoples input.

Postby sweetamber92 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 pm

I am coming up to my final year of university and have therefore started writing and doing research for my dissertation which has to be written before Christmas :(. The subject of my dissertation is Video Gaming, I decided on the subject after realizing the biggest thing in my life after blacksmithing is gaming, I'm influenced by the things I see in games, stories behind games. gaming culture and subcultures within gaming also dictate what I make.
While researching iv read some books the most interesting being Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in culture by Johan Huizinga. it explores how play is essential to culture and life in general and really helps to explain how video games are such a big thing even tho it was written way before computers and gaming even existed in the way they do today. Another useful source of info has been this video http://youtu.be/PHs3-7c0jPE , it outlines a lot of whats in the book but in a much more understandable way.

The next thing i really need to find out is why do you play video games?
Is it a way of unwinding at the end of the day? .. Is it because its your preferred method of socialization?..

I will most likely use quotes from peoples answers in my dissertation, also any other input u have will be useful.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Re: My Dissertation, need peoples input.

Postby re# Skilgannon on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:23 pm

I play games for the following reasons

1) it keeps me occupied in the evenings when my son is asleep and I am effectively tied to the house
2) most of my friends play games and it helps me keep in touch with them
3) it provides me with an escape from what is, at the moment, a very stressful real life
4) I basically have no life apart from work and caring for my son lolololol
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Aceo on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 pm

That sounds like quite an interesting topic. What subject is it for?

I play video games because they're convenient and fun. They generally have fairly low barriers to entry compared to a lot of other hobbies. I know a lot of people who game and there are communities built around them that are great fun (e.g. UKCS).
I do sometimes use video games to de-stress but rarely. Mostly they are a great way to pass the time if there's nothing on television or just plain nothing else to do.

If you need any help with this I've just graduated and know a fair few graduates; if you need any opinions on it's writing or just a proof read then I could help out there.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby sweetamber92 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Im studying artist blacksmithing and this is the first year we have been given the option to write about anything in our dissertations, so as its an active past time of mine and something that influences my work i thought why not look into it more.
And thank-you for offering to proof read im slightly dyslexic so i have trouble structuring sentences, its always helpful to have a second opinion.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flawless on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 pm

sweetamber92 wrote: also any other input u have will be useful.

Going to just jump in, you probably heard some of this before.

I don't know how exactly it works at your uni, but i'll assume you have some sort of supervisor (another lecturer usually) you should try and stay in contact with them, show them your work etc. While they won't do it for you it reflects badly on them if the student does poorly and they (should) be more than willing to help. Also, a disseratation is never as bad as anyone makes it out to be.

On
sweetamber92 wrote:The next thing i really need to find out is why do you play video games?

A couple of reasons, I play a lot of games but they are divided into two main groups. Game's I'd play casually for enjoyment, not really caring about how I play the game. The second group I play because I'm good at them or they are competitive (and that's fun), I Played DOD:S for a long while clanning with some of the top names in the game at the time and it wasn't something I'd do to relax (it wasn't relaxing in the slightest) but it was a great feeling to clutch at the end.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Shuriken on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Barely scratched the surface for me here lol, I could write about this for days.

For me gaming is part and parcel with technology. I've always been fascinated by games, even writing them myself over the last 20 odd years. I used to game because of the appeal computers had on me, these days not so much. Primarily I do it for the challenge.

I've always believed that games have the potential to make you better. From hand-eye coordination, increases in memory and problem solving power to more abstract things, like viewing a situation from a different perspective. These things have all been proven.

I also believe that games can appeal to evolutionary biology factors. Sure, there's not much in the way of hunter-gatherer simulators (not that they don't exist) but ultimately it's our base desires and urges that are nourished and encouraged by good games. Ask any competitive counter-strike player about adrenaline, it's the same report you'll get back from anyone who's not fazed by their involvement in actual combat. It might be watered down considerably due to the lack of immersion but it scratches an itch, if only softly.

I was about to go off on some wild tangents so to summarise, I play games because they're actually enjoyable AND good for you. Just like all the other animals, even if they don't know it :)
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby sweetamber92 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Awsome thanks guys
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Basically I grew up with (PC) gaming and as it is more interactive then reading a book or watching TV it has become my main source of entertainment as I simply prefer it.
Then there is the social aspect, which for me "only" started around 5 or 6 years ago when I started combining it with going onto community forums and VoIP programs getting to know the people I was playing with.
The social aspect only got me more and more into games and going to LAN's like the i-Series (first one being i37 4 years ago) have become the icing on the cake.

These days I do still game for pure entertainment but that isn't the main goal any more and you could say I have 2 separate lives now, one where I do stuff with non-gamer friends and one with the friends I have met through gaming.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Aceo on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:35 pm

sweetamber92 wrote:Im studying artist blacksmithing and this is the first year we have been given the option to write about anything in our dissertations, so as its an active past time of mine and something that influences my work i thought why not look into it more.
And thank-you for offering to proof read im slightly dyslexic so i have trouble structuring sentences, its always helpful to have a second opinion.

If this is one of your first (really really) long reports I'd recommend this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dissertations-Project-Reports-Smarter-Skills/dp/027374383X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/279-2908513-5579442. It was forced on all of us on our degree and was a great help for all skills relating to the report/dissertation.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:42 am

You might find this video useful, i thought it was quite interesting maybe u can take some ideas from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkA9BDWN-U

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Salva on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Simply put i game for...

1. Something to do on a night.

2. Entertainment and enjoyment aspect, at the end of the day a game is also a story to get immersed in.

3. The competitive spirit and challenge of playing against other people.

4. The fact you can learn from a game, be it problem solving, learning about history, or improving hand eye co-ordination and reactions.

5. The social environment, who doesn't want to shout and swear at Trell on mumble! It also gives a us all chance to meet and talk to someone on the other side of the world
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:51 am

Probably worth bringing up the similarities between many computer games and the skinner box. Many of us don't even realise how our behaviour is being manipulated and make post-hoc explanations, but a game is typically designed to condition the player into continuing gameplay beyond the point of it necessarily being fun (WoW for example).
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Cotillion on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 am

ow i totally forgot about this topic and i wanted to answer as well:

1. Stress relief, for me gaming works as a stress relief. That is one of the point why i really can't be bothered to try comp play, i just play for fun and don't want to experience stress. I even stopped playing some games because of the raging it brings with them, even though i really like the game it self.

2. The social part of it. Talk with people in game or on mumble, socialize a bit, get to know them a bit and make some friendships along the way. Which irl turn out to be exactly that; friendships :).

3. Explore whole worlds without even get up from your chair. I like reading fantasy books and some games are almost as if you enter that kind of world. it tickles the brain a bit.
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

Postby coldandtired on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:45 pm

All of the above reasons are ones I have played games for in the past.

Sadly, as Bobbobthebob wrote, at the moment it seems I play games more for achievements than anything else! Skinner would have loved me.

By the above I mean any game other than TF2 of course!
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby sweetamber92 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I have a feeling my cultural studies lecturer wants me to spend more time looking into gaming culture (but i think that's because its what he wants to do) where as personally I'm going to write about how gaming affects me as an artist. If anybody has seen anything (e.g. reports or maybe even an essay) on how gaming affects people on a subconscious level it'd be a great help.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Aceo on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Do you have access to an Article/Journal database as part of your University course? That along with maybe a psychology textbook would be the first place that you should look.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby sweetamber92 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Iv been searching online for psychology journals that contain research in gaming. I do have access to Athens (http://www.openathens.net/) but after searching numerous keywords i have given up, i have a feeling it will only find things if you know the title of the paper you are looking for, which is pointless when your doing research. I have resorted to finding PDF's online.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Aceo on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Your athens login should give you access to a fair few databases but i'm not sure for your university/course. I would normally start by finding general Authors/subjects to do with the topic, usually from a textbook. Then work from there, other than that combining some keywords would be your best bet as random PDF's found on google may not have full citations/references.

But, from a quick search on google scholar. You could try Gareth R. Schott or Kirsty R. Howell who co-wrote one of the first papers I saw. They mainly focussed on gender and gaming but Schott seems to have done a fair amount of articles.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:34 pm

for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby sweetamber92 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 pm

awesome thank you guys i think ill enjoy looking through those tonight. (i know I'm a bit weird)
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics