My Dissertation, need peoples input.

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: My Dissertation, need peoples input.

Postby Nightwalker on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:32 am

I think I game because of various reasons.

There's those times that a game has a good story to it. Playing the game is almost like reading a book. It might even go this far, that at a certain moment, I just game for the story and the actual "playing" is just a necessity to get to the next piece of the story. (Example: played through Warcraft III as fast as I could to see the story once more. Cutscenes and cinematics were really dragging me into the story, the good lore. Then just get through a level as fast as I could, to see the next part.) Truly getting lost in an other world can be one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Sometimes it's just alot of fun to play the game. It's satisfying to play it because of a nice fun factor. Getting rewarded for good strategy, nice shooting skills,... Having a laugh when extraordinary things happen.

Then there's also the social gaming. Hopping onto the TF2 servers to see your friends, talk a bit on mumble, have a good ingame chat and just game whilst you're at it.

Often I'm amazed by what computers can do. The technology is mind blowing, but this is not 'why' I game.

This is just how I experience gaming.

(Hope this helps you a bit, it's just my personal experience - might have some spelling/English errors!)
Add me on steam! | Atheism: A non-prophet organization.

Would love to have a strange gunslinger...
Nightwalker
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Night
STEAM_0:0:7039441

Postby sweetamber92 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for you input guys,
I'm going to add a new question..... Do you think games are art?
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby re# Skilgannon on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:56 pm

I think games can contain art but in themselves aren't art :)
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Aceo on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm

They can be, graphics can contain great landscapes. The story can be as strong as a good book and the soundtrack can be as good as a music album. A game brings them all together in a rather unique way.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Security on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Like films they can be but do not have to be, many Indie games can be seen as art but for example the CoD series (and many other franchises) of games clearly is not.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby JayyJayy on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 pm

to find out is why do you play video games?

I play video games because it lets me do something i would never be able to do in real life be that soaring off a building or fighting a war that never happened. My imagination is big and when i play video games not only am i thinking about whats happening in the I'm wondering about everything else in that world. I started playing them as a child i was three when my mother sat me down and i watched her play and four when i actually started playing them myself. I started to overtake my mother and she started to ask me to do things on the games she was stuck on because i found something i actually enjoyed and was good at. When i started growing older i went threw many rough times and during that i used games to escape from reality in times i just cant take it anymore and i still do this sometimes. Not only do they give me some chill time they help my head to think straight for decisions i will be making in the future.

In summary i play video games to help my imagination run more wild then it usually does, growing up with video games helped me threw my childhood and helps me make decisions when i need them the most and all in all are fun to play with friends or without.

Do you think games are art?

In a sense yes. As everyone above me has been saying i think games are a collaboration of art piled into one. Being able to combine a soundtrack with graphics and artwork which then inevitably gets programmed into something that we play and get amerced into is art. Every game starts with an idea like every painting or song and in the end turns into master pieces that we love today.

I think i class a game as art if it sucks me in so much that i feel what the characters are feeling i'm sad when they are i'm angry when they are etc. The ability to have the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in certain situations combined with the characters and stunning scenery always makes me happy when i play them

i think personally art is suppose to make you feel certain emotions in a strong, broad, different and sometimes unusual way we usually feel emotions and video games can do that quite well indeed.
|And on that day the dead shall rise|

JayyJayy
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: JayyJayy
STEAM_0:1:27264480

Postby Wizav on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 am

Do you think games are art?

Art can be created playing games (Minecraft etc) and mastering certain games is an art (Starcraft II etc) but i wouldn't say games were art at least not all.

I would class games like Machinarium art because they are so unique and weird.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby BenJy! on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:28 pm

If I could define it in terms of a singular video game I could simply say with my heart on my chest that Silent Hill 2 is the sole reason I love gaming and first person narratives within gaming. While the controls/playability take a little standby with this game it's the art direction, sound/music design, story and atmosphere that made this game unique and opened my eyes into a new experience with gaming. I.e. it got me emotionally involved with the world and it's characters, I actually gave a dame about James troubles and his wife's death, I was curious about the monsters/pyramid head and the town named Silent Hill and I loved the way in which you got a lot of back story but not a long of explanation.

Looking at the list of my favourite games they are very much the same, single player, open world, grand in design, emotionally involving and strangely enough dark/morbid. So obviously for me it's a games story that I like to invest my time playing, the further I play the more interested I become in the world and it's characters the better the game. Lastly, the games I play usually leave a lasting impression which gives me something to think about. I think this makes the game lasting ability rather brilliant, it plays on your mind and demands a replay.

Hope this helps.
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:37 am

I think games can be art, yes- In the same sense that some movies are classed as art.

I mean, you have a whole team or artists designing the world you'll play in using digital inks against a pixel-built canvas instead of your traditional oils on canvas and what have ye. Plus, some game soundtracks are just beautiful. The Halo series, Guild Wars, Skyrim etc.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics